Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

lauraww wrote: »
    has an exact date been given as to when the rest of u s in ireland will get on demand?
    Yes but it depends where you live. End of July for folks in Galway, Cork, Limerick and Waterford.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0522/breaking35.html

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Yes but it depends where you live. End of July for folks in Galway, Cork, Limerick and Waterford.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0522/breaking35.html

i was told august for rest of d12

just spotted on upc facebook page that people should email social@upc.ie with their exact address to find out when on demand is available in their area

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MacConmheadha

Have been watching it regularly and with no problems for nearly two weeks now, now I'm getting "UPC on Demand is unavailable at this time. For more information about this service or to check if On Demand TV is available in your area, please go to www.upc.ie"

Living in Clondalkin/Dublin 22, anyone else getting this?

Have been watching it regularly and with no problems for nearly two weeks now, now I'm getting "UPC on Demand is unavailable at this time. For more information about this service or to check if On Demand TV is available in your area, please go to www.upc.ie";

Yes happens occasionally. probably updating some facet of it. It will come back in a matter of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Samsung have added an rte player app to its Smart tv range, and I must say, first impressions are very impressive - I would imagine it is what is on the Apple TV boxes, very slick implementation of the player, much much better than what UPC implemented on their network. It has a far more graphical interface than what UPC implemented.

Also seems to have much greater content - first show I looked at, Home and Away, UPC only have back until 7 June ( 7 days), Samsung version goes back until 30 May, 2 weeks. Still lacking in US show's, so no grey's anatomy etc.

Playback quality is decent, seems better the web version, on a par with UPC I suspect.

I wonder will UPC be able to upgrade their version to something like what Samsung have implemented??

I am not knocking UPC's version as it basically does the same thing and I am a great fan of the steps they've taken with the on-demand tv. Just seems it could be improved better!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

mollser wrote: »
    Samsung have added an rte player app to its Smart tv range, and I must say, first impressions are very impressive - I would imagine it is what is on the Apple TV boxes, very slick implementation of the player, much much better than what UPC implemented on their network. It has a far more graphical interface than what UPC implemented.

Also seems to have much greater content - first show I looked at, Home and Away, UPC only have back until 7 June ( 7 days), Samsung version goes back until 30 May, 2 weeks. Still lacking in US show's, so no grey's anatomy etc.

Playback quality is decent, seems better the web version, on a par with UPC I suspect.

I wonder will UPC be able to upgrade their version to something like what Samsung have implemented??

I am not knocking UPC's version as it basically does the same thing and I am a great fan of the steps they've taken with the on-demand tv. Just seems it could be improved better!

I have an Apple TV box and the RTE Player is not on it. You can however stream programmes from the Player onto your TV via the box with the IPhone, IPod Touch and IPad using Apple's Airplay system. I wish they would make it available in the same way as Samsung have though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Have been watching it regularly and with no problems for nearly two weeks now, now I'm getting "UPC on Demand is unavailable at this time. For more information about this service or to check if On Demand TV is available in your area, please go to www.upc.ie";

I'm getting this in Wicklow, except it says there is a loss of signal when accessing On Demand. Very frustrating. Doesn't go away after a few minutes for me, as Eamo71 suggested. Not even the very Irish "turn it off and on again" isn't working ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Not even the very Irish "turn it off and on again" isn't working ;)

The "very Irish" term isn't just used in Ireland you know, and it does have a lot of logic associated with it.

It appears Galway will have on demand in mid August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

kippy wrote: »
    Not even the very Irish "turn it off and on again" isn't working ;)

The "very Irish" term isn't just used in Ireland you know, and it does have a lot of logic associated with it.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement

I'm getting this in Wicklow, except it says there is a loss of signal when accessing On Demand. Very frustrating. Doesn't go away after a few minutes for me, as Eamo71 suggested. Not even the very Irish "turn it off and on again" isn't working ;)

Were you ever getting On Demand working in the first place? If not you are getting that message till UPC has Wicklow online which will be sometime in July/August. I was referring to folks who already had On demand working fine and occasionally got the message that it wasn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Looks like they set up a page to check whether it's available to you!
    http://www.upc.ie/on_demand_tv/Can_I_get_On_Demand_TV_/
    On Demand Nationwide Rollout
    Phase1 – Launch
    25th May 2012
    Maynooth, Naas, Navan, Celbridge
    Phase 2
    Early August 2012
    Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Swords and Malahide
    Phase 3
    Early October 2012
    Regional Towns - Athlone, Carlow, Clonmel, Kilkenny, Mullingar, Newbridge, Portlaoise,
    Sligo and Thurles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ciano1 wrote: »
    Looks like they set up a page to check whether it's available to you!
    http://www.upc.ie/on_demand_tv/Can_I_get_On_Demand_TV_/

I'm no PR genius but I would have thought releasing this information at the start would have been a good idea don't you think? Not a month afterwards. Good work UPC!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Getting hooked on Dexter, hope they add more series of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

This from their twitter feed:

@UPC_Ireland: On Demand TV is now available throughout all of Dublin :D What will you be watching with soo many choices? A Boxset perhaps? #ondemandtv

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

@UPC_Ireland: On Demand TV is now available throughout all of Dublin :D What will you be watching with soo many choices? A Boxset perhaps? #ondemandtv

That's simply not true I'm afraid. I'm in Monkstown County Dublin and I still don't have it here. I searched a good few addresses around Dublin via the UPC website and from what I can see only areas that can get Phone and Broadband have On Demand. Places including my area that can't access these services also don't have On Demand. I was also told this when I rang UPC on the day the service was launched and it's what Jason from UPC posted on this thread as well. There may be exceptions to this but in most cases it's true. A lot of Dublin has still not been fully upgraded, that means a lot of Dublin still can't get On Demand. I was promised my area would be upgraded in Spring last year but it still hasn't happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It would be nice if the stopped calling The Royle Family the eh..Royal Family.

Yours sinc.

QE2

Flip Flop wrote: »
    That's simply not true I'm afraid. I'm in Monkstown County Dublin and I still don't have it here. I searched a good few addresses around Dublin via the UPC website and from what I can see only areas that can get Phone and Broadband have On Demand. Places including my area that can't access these services also don't have On Demand. I was also told this when I rang UPC on the day the service was launched and it's what Jason from UPC posted on this thread as well. There may be exceptions to this but in most cases it's true. A lot of Dublin has still not been fully upgraded, that means a lot of Dublin still can't get On Demand. I was promised my area would be upgraded in Spring last year but it still hasn't happened.

I'm up the road from you in sallynoggin and there's no date pencilled in for upgrade, so no on demand or hd or phone for me either. Shambles of a company....

no on demand in dublin 12

shane. wrote: »
    no on demand in dublin 12

Not in Mulhuddart either. Good to see their twitter is about as useful as their call centre. They really don't have a clue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

No On-Demand in Lucan either despite having HD / 50mb Broadband...

I'd love to know why, when it's possible to have these that the On-Demand doesn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Not available in Baldoyle & Sutton in Dublin 13

Not available in Baldoyle & Sutton in Dublin 13
    To all the people in Dublin complaining about not having On Demand do you A have the right TV package to receive it? B have the right set top box? And C have you tried contacting UPC about it? The twitter feed UPC_Helps you_ie is very responsive. Also there's a Facebook page where you can ask questions and they get back very quickly OR there's a live customer chat feature on the UPC web site. Or you an email social@upc.ie OR you can type in your address and street name on their web site to see if it's available in your area. Or just ring. If On Demand is available in your area and you don't have it you either don't have the right TV package or you need an upgrade on your STB. Or of course there could be some sort of fault.
    Bottom line is you have to contact THEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Celui

Just spoke to UPC who told me that the tweet did not say 'all of Dublin'. I still have no on demand in Dublin 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

All services are available in my area except on Demand :eek:

upcondemand.jpg

I have my Phone, Broadband & Digital Max with Sky Sports & Movies +HD with UPC......

Also last time I checked Swords & Malahide were in Dublin??

What a joke, I'd say this is there worst roll out yet :mad:

Could you imagine SKY rolling out a new service saying it's only available in Dublin, Cork & Limerick now, it will be available from August in Galway & Waterford & then it won't be available in the rest of the country until September, I THINK NOT!!

Celui wrote: »
    Just spoke to UPC who told me that the tweet did not say 'all of Dublin'. I still have no on demand in Dublin 4

That's wrong, I posted the original tweet yesterday... They subsequently retweeted it and excluded "all of" from the second tweet. I contacted them about it but no response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I have it in Dublin 9 came in a couple of weeks ago. Im watching The Good Wife boxed set, its great. Hope everyone else gets sorted out soon.

To all the people in Dublin complaining about not having On Demand do you A have the right TV package to receive it? B have the right set top box? And C have you tried contacting UPC about it? The twitter feed UPC_Helps you_ie is very responsive. Also there's a Facebook page where you can ask questions and they get back very quickly OR there's a live customer chat feature on the UPC web site. Or you an email social@upc.ie OR you can type in your address and street name on their web site to see if it's available in your area. Or just ring. If On Demand is available in your area and you don't have it you either don't have the right TV package or you need an upgrade on your STB. Or of course there could be some sort of fault.

To answer your questions: A yes B yes C yes and by phone however unless your area is FULLY upgraded you won't have access to on demand or catch up services. This has reared it's head again because of their twitter feed yesterday (swiftly changed) where they said on demand is now available in ALL of Dublin.
    The problem I have with UPC is that they cannot or will not give me a date for when my area will be upgraded, despite repeated contact with them by phone, email and twitter.

The problem I have with UPC is that they cannot or will not give me a date for when my area will be upgraded, despite repeated contact with them by phone, email and twitter.

Even if they did give you a date, knowing their form, would you believe it?

UPC's twitter will tell you one date, the website another and their call centre a third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

My sister lives in Baldoyle, when I put her address into UPC's website...
    Broadbandico_green_tick.pngDigital Televisionico_green_tick.pngDigital+ico_green_tick.pngDigital+ HD No Home Phone No On Demand TV No

And when I put my Brother-in-law's parent's house in Sutton it gives...

Broadband No Digital Televisionico_green_tick.pngDigital+ico_green_tick.pngDigital+ HD No Home Phone No On Demand TV No

Yet, according to UPC's tweet - All of Dublin can access On Demand !!!!!!!!

Advertisement