Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

Eamo71 wrote: »
    To all the people in Dublin complaining about not having On Demand do you A have the right TV package to receive it? B have the right set top box? And C have you tried contacting UPC about it? The twitter feed UPC_Helps you_ie is very responsive. Also there's a Facebook page where you can ask questions and they get back very quickly OR there's a live customer chat feature on the UPC web site. Or you an email social@upc.ie OR you can type in your address and street name on their web site to see if it's available in your area. Or just ring. If On Demand is available in your area and you don't have it you either don't have the right TV package or you need an upgrade on your STB. Or of course there could be some sort of fault.
    Bottom line is you have to contact THEM.

In my case the answer to your questions is Yes to A, B and C. My problem is that because I can't get Phone and Broadband, I can't get On Demand which is confirmed when I put my address into the UPC website. I'm not on Facebook or Twitter but I've rang and emailed them several times and they still haven't given me a date when the services will be available to me. They cabled the roads in my area so I have HD but they never finished cabling my Apartment block so I can't get the other Fibre Power services. Nor can anybody else on my road either or on the main road next to me, although weirdly it is available in the housing estate across from me and on roads near by. It drives me mad when they pat themselves on the back and claim that they've made it available to everybody when they so clearly haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

celticbest wrote: »
    All services are available in my area except on Demand :eek:

upcondemand.jpg

I have my Phone, Broadband & Digital Max with Sky Sports & Movies +HD with UPC......

Also last time I checked Swords & Malahide were in Dublin??

What a joke, I'd say this is there worst roll out yet :mad:

Could you imagine SKY rolling out a new service saying it's only available in Dublin, Cork & Limerick now, it will be available from August in Galway & Waterford & then it won't be available in the rest of the country until September, I THINK NOT!!

Swords and Malahide are of course in Dublin but here's the rub... you;re on the old Chorus network or some such thing. The rollout to Swords and MAlahide was flagged from day 1 as being later than the rest of Dublin.

My sister lives in Baldoyle, when I put her address into UPC's website...
    Broadbandico_green_tick.pngDigital Televisionico_green_tick.pngDigital+ico_green_tick.pngDigital+ HD No Home Phone No On Demand TV No

And when I put my Brother-in-law's parent's house in Sutton it gives...

Broadband No Digital Televisionico_green_tick.pngDigital+ico_green_tick.pngDigital+ HD No Home Phone No On Demand TV No

Yet, according to UPC's tweet - All of Dublin can access On Demand !!!!!!!!

It looks like someone in UPC or whomever tweets on their behalf got overexcited and tweeted the wrong thing as it was later retracted. Frustrating. But it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

It looks like someone in UPC or whomever tweets on their behalf got overexcited and tweeted the wrong thing as it was later retracted. Frustrating. But it happens

the problem with upc is it keeps happening, firstly with their on demand rollout nobody had a clue what was going on, at my address i can receive hd tv, phone and 100mb broadband but cannot receive on demand, ive contacted them and they cant give me a date, their facebook page tells people to contact social@upc.ie which i did and they replied that they also cant give me a date,i live in d12 so im not even out in the sticks! now according to their website phase one rollout is dublin, is that parts of dublin or all of dublin? i think for everyone who cant receive on demand its just really frustrating because we cant get any info, as someone said earlier if sky was releasing something new there is no way they would do it this badly, all departments in upc from their twitter to facebook to their service department and including any reps on here have no co-ordinated timescale on releases, it really is a bit of a mental way to run a huge company in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

celticbest wrote: »
    All services are available in my area except on Demand :eek:

[Could you imagine SKY rolling out a new service saying it's only available in Dublin, Cork & Limerick now, it will be available from August in Galway & Waterford & then it won't be available in the rest of the country until September, I THINK NOT!!

Not a very fair comparison ..

It's a hell of a lot easier to give everyone the same service via satellite as opposed to digging up and cabling fibre to the street cabinet services as UPC have done ..

I think they are delivering an excellent service in areas that are lucky enough to be cabled for triple-play ..

It will be well worth the wait :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

bob11 wrote: »

It's a hell of a lot easier to give everyone the same service via satellite as opposed to digging up and cabling fibre to the street cabinet services as UPC have done ..

I think they are delivering an excellent service in areas that are lucky enough to be cabled for triple-play ..

I'd be willing to wait if I had some idea how long I had to wait for!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

We don't doubt that, but as Flip flop says, it's their inability to provide dates that adds to the frustration. It has all the hallmarks of a rush to market product. They had an opportunity to upgrade more areas prior to launch rather than the shoddy piecemeal effort that we've seen and all the while making sure that there was more content available before a proper launch to more customers.

we'll my address is cabled for triple play and im not receiving on demand so no its not an excellent service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Swords and Malahide are of course in Dublin but here's the rub... you;re on the old Chorus network or some such thing. The rollout to Swords and MAlahide was flagged from day 1 as being later than the rest of Dublin.

Both are in Dublin, but the way UPC word it, it's like there not..

:eek: My area does not need any digging, it already has all other services as I've previously mentioned so why should I have to wait, it's an absolute joke how they roll out new services.
    shane. wrote: »
    we'll my address is cabled for triple play and im not receiving on demand so no its not an excellent service

100% with you on that Shane.

Agree totally. With Sky all you have to do is get a dish and point it to the Sky. UPC has had to pour 100s of millions into rolling out its cable infrastructure. And as Bob11 points out it takes time. Even to get permission form the local authorities to dig up a road is very time absorbing. While I agree with many posters about the frustration of waiting to get a cable upgrade the only crumb of comfort is that by the time ALL households that are capable of getting On Demand get it the content library will be much better.
    I also get the feeling that for one reason or another the OnDemand rollout was pushed out sooner than expected. Therefore there seems to be some hesitation or lack of knowledge about giving people exact dates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I just had a look at UPC's Twitter feed and they're great at re-tweeting praise. There was one there from a bloke saying how great they were as they set him up when he moved house and everything was hunky dorey.

I wonder would they re-tweet one of mine that states how bad they've handled the communications for the on demand service?

I just had a look at UPC's Twitter feed and they're great at re-tweeting praise. There was one there from a bloke saying how great they were as they set him up when he moved house and everything was hunky dorey.

I wonder would they re-tweet one of mine that states how bad they've handled the communications for the on demand service?

Ha! Probably not but it will be in their feed so people will get to see it.
    By the way folks a quick search has yielded that www.mkc.ie is UPC's PR partner. Why not contact them and ask for its help. They probably won't be able to answer straight away but might be helpful. And Jack you could discuss your feelings over the way your perceive the rollout has been (mis)communicated

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnsull91

Can you legally cancel your UPC contract if on demand isn't available in your area? Subscribed to UPC for the on demand service. Had problems connecting to UPC when we originally received the box, had to call a technician. Upon setting up television and broadband, he said that the on demand service was unavailable in our area.

Nice 1 UPC !

Any advice as to whether I'm entitled to cancel my contract?

Living in Dublin 8

johnsull91 wrote: »
    Can you legally cancel your UPC contract if on demand isn't available in your area? Subscribed to UPC for the on demand service. Had problems connecting to UPC when we originally received the box, had to call a technician. Upon setting up television and broadband, he said that the on demand service was unavailable in our area.

Nice 1 UPC !

I doubt it. It's a 'free extra' which probably wasn't even mentioned in the contract terms you signed up to.

Nice 1 UPC !

Living in Dublin 8

Shouldn't you have checked first that it was available in your area? If they said it was and you got in based on that information then you might have had a case. Not UPC's fault if you don't inquire about what services you're going to get.

UPC sent me a message on Twitter saying that they don't yet have a date for when on demand will be available in Mulhuddart, Dublin 15. The fact that they've given dates for most of the other areas makes me think it's going to a while afterwards before I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Nice 1 UPC !

Why did you sign up for it without checking?

just got an email saying they are upgrading my broadband from 20mb to 25mb, just give me on demand for christ sake!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

shane. wrote: »
    just got an email saying they are upgrading my broadband from 20mb to 25mb, just give me on demand for christ sake!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think your area needs to be 100Mb capable before on demand is even possible. So the fact they seem to be upgrading your system would suggest it's more likely after the upgrade.

You could always watch RTE/3 player via a laptop and a lead to the TV. This way you get more content than on demand anyways.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I think your area needs to be 100Mb capable before on demand is even possible. So the fact they seem to be upgrading your system would suggest it's more likely after the upgrade.

You could always watch RTE/3 player via a laptop and a lead to the TV. This way you get more content than on demand anyways.

my address is capable of receiving 100mb so dont know what the point of the free upgrade was,maybe its to stop me whinging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 gashead

On Demand has nothing to do with BB speeds. It all depends on the bandwidth of the coax network in the area. If the area is tested to be 750mhz or above it should be OnDemand capable. Some of the older ntl/cablelink networks are only rated as 450/600 mhz so On Demand cannot be guarenteed to work so it's not released until the network is tested.

gashead wrote: »
    On Demand has nothing to do with BB speeds. It all depends on the bandwidth of the coax network in the area. If the area is tested to be 750mhz or above it should be OnDemand capable. Some of the older ntl/cablelink networks are only rated as 450/600 mhz so On Demand cannot be guarenteed to work so it's not released until the network is tested.

well that makes more sense so!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Chickenwing

As you can see in this UPC ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-llB1ekfR8g&list=UUKpIghSUHYmSm_QQjIgSiNQ&index=1&feature=plcp

The woman walks into number 7 Barrow Street Dublin 4... I checked the availability there on the UPC site... and it turns out they do not have Broadband, Homephone, HD or OnDemand.

False Advertisement. I live in this area and don't have it... that's why I decided to look it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

They must be rolling it out in Sandyford area, it just started working yesterday here

Dexter Season 2 now available On Demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Season 2 was available a few weeks ago, I have watched it over the last 10 tens and feeling viewers remorse,(wish I could view it again fresh) not sure if I should get season 3 via other methods or wait for upc to put it up.

Some series!

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Season 2 was available a few weeks ago, I have watched it over the last 10 tens and feeling viewers remorse,(wish I could view it again fresh) not sure if I should get season 3 via other methods or wait for upc to put it up.

Some series!

I'm behind the times so. Seasons 1&2 were fantastic. Hoping three will go up sooner rather than later. I think FX is showing S6 at the moment . So there might be scope for UPC to put up another couple.
    Check out Nurse Jackie. Enjoying that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Bodan

Channel 119 Upc on demand, just appeared this morning on UPC in Waterford. The ON demand button is also working , though both of them say access denied. :(

I wonder is the lunch here imminent?

Bodan wrote: »
    Channel 119 Upc on demand, just appeared this morning on UPC in Waterford. The ON demand button is also working , though both of them say access denied. :(

It's been like that in Mulhuddart since before the original launch and we haven't got it yet so I wouldn't get your hopes up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bodan wrote: »

Lunch was over am hour and a half before you posted. :)

I've had the same as you for a few weeks now so I wouldn't hold my breath on actually using it..

Advertisement