Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a house with Storage Heating???

Options
  • 26-03-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on whether or not to rent a house with storage heating? The rent is low compared to houses with oil heating which is raising alarm bells! I can't face another winter with no heating so any advice would be truly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on whether or not to rent a house with storage heating? The rent is low compared to houses with oil heating which is raising alarm bells! I can't face another winter with no heating so any advice would be truly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Have you been shown a BER certificate for the house? Any property being "offered" for rent is required to have one and it is an obligation of the landlord/agent to show you that cert.

If it is in the As or Bs it should be no problem, over that it could prove expensive. However, electricity is cleaner than oil and IMHO is simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on whether or not to rent a house with storage heating?
    Thanks.
    the short answer would be no.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No reason not to. It generally works fine if you know how to use it properly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I had it in my house and it was absolutely useless. All depends on the insulation and size of the house. With the experience I've had with storage heating I would run a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

who_ru wrote: »
    the short answer would be no.
    It's not a question that should be dismissed with a short answer.

A storage heating system might be well-specified, and be able to keep the house comfortable in all weathers. Or it might not.

It will probably cost more to run than oil or gas for the same heat output, but the lower rent might offset that, perhaps even more than offset it.

Storage heating is a little less easily controlled than oil or gas heating. That is something you can get used to.

Your question can not be properly answered without a good deal more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 One Flew Over

odds_on wrote: »
    Have you been shown a BER certificate for the house? Any property being "offered" for rent is required to have one and it is an obligation of the landlord/agent to show you that cert.

If it is in the As or Bs it should be no problem, over that it could prove expensive. However, electricity is cleaner than oil and IMHO is simpler.
    No, I will ask about the Ber rating for this house but I doubt it has one as I haven't seen a Ber rating given with any of the houses currently being advertised to let in Gorey.

Thanks

It's not a question that should be dismissed with a short answer.

A storage heating system might be well-specified, and be able to keep the house comfortable in all weathers. Or it might not.

It will probably cost more to run than oil or gas for the same heat output, but the lower rent might offset that, perhaps even more than offset it.

Storage heating is a little less easily controlled than oil or gas heating. That is something you can get used to.

Your question can not be properly answered without a good deal more information.
    The house is a 3 bedroom bungalow, approximately 10 years old with double glazing, if that's any help? I know it's a difficult question to answer unless you've lived with storage heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Storage heating is pretty useless in my opinion, not to mention expensive to run. You have no control over when you use it (its either turned on the night before or its not functional until the next night) and for me the fact that it gives out the heat during the day when people tend not to be home negates the point of a heating system in the first place.

Storage heating is fine for an office not not for a home. I would not move into another accomodation which does not have a proper (gas/oil) heating system.

djimi wrote: »
    Storage heating is pretty useless in my opinion, not to mention expensive to run. You have no control over when you use it (its either turned on the night before or its not functional until the next night) and for me the fact that it gives out the heat during the day when people tend not to be home negates the point of a heating system in the first place.

Storage heating is fine for an office not not for a home. I would not move into another accomodation which does not have a proper (gas/oil) heating system.
    Thanks, that information was really helpful and the overall response to living with storage heating hasn't been good so I think it would be a bad move for us.

Thanks to everyone for offering advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

djimi wrote: »

Yea, that's the thing that annoyed me the most. You'd have to have amazing insulation for the heat to come on during the day and for the house to still be warm in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

Avoid any apartment/house with storage heating , unless the room is tiny it wont make any difference , the last 4 places I have lived in have all had it and 3 of the 4 times I moved were due to the *NEW* apartments being cold and damp , it's a waste of your money trying to heat with it. I have an open fire now and it's worth 10000000 storage heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

We had storage heating in our last apartment, I actually found it to be OK, but maybe this was because we were on the top floor. Heat rises and all that.

We are now living in a house with oil, I find it very cold! I currently have the oil radiator on that I bought as I am kind of cold this evening! Again, this could just be the house and draughty windows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

My last apartment had storage heaters, but we never had to turn them on once, the apartment was roasting the whole time, I'm guessing our neighbours used theirs a lot to heat ours.

In our current one, which is a lot bigger, we do use our storage heaters, if we leave it on for the night, it does a decent job of keeping the apartment warm for the day. Maybe another half hour blast later on and we were fine.

I imagine with a house though, you'd need more than a blast in the evening, so my guess would be that they wouldn't be the best. But it all depends on the house, it's insulation, your neighbours(if it's terraced), how warm you want it to be etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've storage heating in my apartment and its absolutely useless. I work from home so I would get some benefit out of it during the day but not a whole lot and it costs a fortune. My last bill for Jan & Feb was €448 for 1 person in a 2 bed apartment and even then I had turned it off for about half that time as it was so useless as even with it on it wasnt really able to heat the rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

we used to have storage heaters in the family home but as soom as the gas was brought into the area we quickly changed over as it was terrible
    the dad did make a nice little patio area out the back with all the bricks from the heaters though :)

Advertisement