Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere that stocks Peat- free compost?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Westland Earth Matters "Peat Free" Compost is another brand of peat free compost.

Just on 8 euro for a 60 litre bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

dardevle wrote: »

not at all mucky...... what i don't see as possible is to germinate seeds in peatfree compost with the same success as peat based....this is the reason peat based composts have not been banned outright yet and the ban date keeps getting moved forward.....maybe you will see better results with your trials... but that remains to be seen.

apologies if it seems that this was a personal attack on yourself its not intentional....it was an attack more on the lack of information regarding peatfree composts in general, unless people know beforehand of the performance of a product then it does'nt matter where its available.

thats my last on the subject.
    goodnite.

You may have missed this so, just in case you did.....

There was a really good article in the May 2012 issue of the Kitchen Garden magazine that reviewed peat free composts.

It also found the CLAIM 'that peat free compost is rubbish' actually is a MYTH founded on a few poorly performing products, from the past.

Even though many people out there could be quite happily peat free with no problems, well, as they say, theres always one. :rolleyes:

Humble pie, handbags and elbows to follow soon....

Sorry I mean pics. :pac::pac::pac:

I like pictures,especially if they show that "peat free" is good and works..:pac::)

Bought a fair bit more peat free compost this morning.

Doing our bit for preserving the bogs of Ireland.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

paddy147 wrote: »
    Bought a fair bit more peat free compost this morning.

Where and how much?

• Advertisement

dfbemt wrote: »
    Where and how much?

B&Q Lifey Valley.

6 euro 30 cents per bag or buy 2 and get a 3rd bag free.:)

Was out in Airside today getting a few bits and saw 70 litre bags of B&Q peat free compost for a mere 3 euro each. :D

Got some to try it out of course. B&Q seems to be the only place I have been reliably able to get peat free composts. :D;)

Some seeds I sowed in April, all germinated successfully with no problems. Calendula, Poached egg plant and chives.

Im a bad gardener, should have pricked these out weeks ago. :pac::pac:

Used B&Q own brand Peat- free, New Horizon Peat- free and Westland Peat- free. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

muckyhands and paddy147, I'm putting you on notice. I won't have posts deleted then re-appear under a different guise, I think its clear what I mean by this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement