Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leonard Cohen - Kilmainham, Sept 11 / 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I'm here.... Better and Better as he gets older!!!

how cold is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Can hear him from my gaffe, lucky me.:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Traffic in the area was brutal and the guards were just standing around doing nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

how cold is it?

I went to the gym tonight across from the IMMA entrance at 8.40 and I was asked by a couple about a bus into town, they left the concert cos it was just too cold. Not a good sign.

Such a pity its colder this week! Hope everyone wraps up and enjoys the gigs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

It was cold all right, I was thinking the same thing about it being a pity the gigs weren't last week when we had the good weather. He was wearing a scarf for the second half!

Terrific gig, though, very impressive band. They walked onstage bang on 7.15 and finished just after 11.00 (with a 15-20 minute interval). He played three songs off the new album as well as pretty much everything you could want to hear. Sound was excellent, crowd reasonably well behaved although still too many latecomers/bar runners for my liking, as being all-seated, it was much more obvious and annoying. Brilliant night though, and I'm glad I got to finally see the legend in the flesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Were there any support acts?

I may head in to be there just in time for 7:15, good thing about being all seated is that there's no rush for me to get to the front, as there would be if it was standing.

So excited, from tomorrow onwards I will be able to say I saw the master in concert:).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Setlist from last night:
    Dance Me to the End of Love
    The Future
    Bird on the Wire
    Everybody Knows
    Who by Fire
    Darkness
    Sisters of Mercy
    Amen
    Come Healing
    In My Secret Life
    I Can't Forget
    Going Home
    Waiting for the Miracle
    Light as the Breeze
    Anthem

Interval

Tower of Song
    Suzanne
    Night Comes On
    Heart with No Companion
    The Gypsy's Wife
    The Partisan
    Democracy
    Coming Back to You (performed by the Webb Sisters)
    Alexandra Leaving (performed by Sharon Robinson)
    I’m Your Man
    Hallelujah
    Take This Waltz

Encore:
    So Long, Marianne
    First We Take Manhattan

Encore 2:
    Famous Blue Raincoat
    Closing Time

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

lc180 wrote: »
    I went to the gym tonight across from the IMMA entrance at 8.40 and I was asked by a couple about a bus into town, they left the concert cos it was just too cold. Not a good sign.

Such a pity its colder this week! Hope everyone wraps up and enjoys the gigs anyway.

That's a bit pathetic. I mean it was chilly but it wasn't that bad.

Amazing concert. I knew it would be good but can't believe it was that good. The highlight was probably him talking to the crowd. He is such a humble and charming man. It more than made up for some of the idiotic crowd.

With regards logistics, I decided to drive in the end as didn't fancy wrestling my way onto public transport afterwards. I parked on Brookfield Road and it left a not too long walk. Afterwards we were back in the car in 10 mins and had no traffic problems at all.

Be warned if you're eating in the Hilton beforehand. It's busy and slower than a snail on weed. We missed the opening song because it took an hour and a half to get our food and get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Show was brilliant, delighted he did songs from the 'new' album as it's well worth a listen.

In my humble opinion his voice is more suited to the old song now than it was way back when, the bass notes he hits put a shiver through you. The lyrics are clearly those of a poet.

Superb band again, amzing violin player

And speaking of shivers, a warning - It was bitterly cold once the sun went down, to the extent that people were leaving long before the end. I was semi prepared wearing thermal bike gear , raincoat, hat and scarf and still started to shiver by around 10:30 so warp up very warm. Parked in Heuston Station, only traffic holdup was getting out of there (5-10mins) afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

karaokeman wrote: »
    Were there any support acts?

I may head in to be there just in time for 7:15, good thing about being all seated is that there's no rush for me to get to the front, as there would be if it was standing.

So excited, from tomorrow onwards I will be able to say I saw the master in concert:).
    No support, Len does a long set so you don't need one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Great show. If you're going later in the week get to your seats before 7.15 pm. Starts bang on time. It's a bit annoying so many strolling into seats so late. We were lucky it stayed dry, but oh so cold. Hats, thermals and rain gear advised.

Personally, I think this time of year the organisers should be looking at an indoor venue especially given the ticket pricing.

But all in all, still a very good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Havent got my tickets in my hand yet, but going to the Sat show, just want to confirm, it starts at 4pm??... can anyone confirm, again,any constructive ideas about parking?.. Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

aynneone wrote: »
    Havent got my tickets in my hand yet, but going to the Sat show, just want to confirm, it starts at 4pm??... can anyone confirm, again,any constructive ideas about parking?.. Thanks in advance.

gates open 4.30 pm.

starts 7.15 pm sharp. no support act beforehand.

Hueston Station carpark..€8 per day max ..best value. very close by.

Wrap up warm. I think he is going to be shattered come Saturday due to the cold nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

aynneone wrote: »

If you're doing on street parking, don't be surprised if you have to take a ticking off from local residents as they get pissed off when all their parking is pinched. Somebody mentioned Brookfield road. Bad choice IMHO as all St James hospital parking tends to end up there. Local residents are sick of it and people DO get acosted if they don't live in the area. My sister got abuse last weekend for parking outside somebody's house.

Just get public transport or use proper car parks. Traffic was mental last night so that's another reason to leave the car at home.

gaius c wrote: »
    If you're doing on street parking, don't be surprised if you have to take a ticking off from local residents as they get pissed off when all their parking is pinched. Somebody mentioned Brookfield road. Bad choice IMHO as all St James hospital parking tends to end up there. Local residents are sick of it and people DO get acosted if they don't live in the area. My sister got abuse last weekend for parking outside somebody's house.

Just get public transport or use proper car parks. Traffic was mental last night so that's another reason to leave the car at home.

Well just my experience. Got a spot easily, zero traffic as it was all bypassed (travelling from/to south side of city) and there were several side streets with more spaces. And it was free after seven. I arrived there about half 5, not sure how busy it got afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Best concert I've ever been to hands down.

You could tell Cohen was very gratious to us all sitting out in the cold.

Hallelujah was an immense moment that will never be relived.

Nothing short of perfection 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I'm going on Friday night. Never seen him before. Not sure what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

Can hear him from my balcony and he sounds great alright. Appreciate his music and love a few songs but never really got big into him so have spent my gig money elsewhere this year. Ah well, when I have nothing good to listen to I know I can take a run through his back catalogue!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

I'm going on Friday night. Never seen him before. Not sure what to expect.

Expect a gig you'll never forget,he plays every gig like its the last he'll ever do(he is 78!)easily my favourite live performer,seen him 4 times and if i wasnt broke id have done at least one more this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Super super night .... stayed in the Aisling perfect.
    It was cold but hardly Siberia ... really IMO no colder than Lissadel & it was dry which is the main thing.
    Great to go to a show that starts bang on time & delivers all the way through :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭solarplexus

I am going to the Cohen gig tomorrow night. What time does he come on stage and what time does it finish up at? Thanks Can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Quick question for those who have been. I know this is a seated gig, but do you have to stay in your seat for the most part or can you just hang back at the bar for the duration if you want? My mate who I haven't seen for a while is coming into town for this gig but we're not seated together, so it would be handy if we could hang out with our beers at the back.

gloobag wrote: »
    Quick question for those who have been. I know this is a seated gig, but do you have to stay in your seat for the most part or can you just hang back at the bar for the duration if you want? My mate who I haven't seen for a while is coming into town for this gig but we're not seated together, so it would be handy if we could hang out with our beers at the back.

Yeah there's a bar/shoppy area I'm sure you can hang out in if you were so inclined although not sure it affords the best view. You're certainly not required to physically stay in your seat although you won't be allowed to loiter in any of the aisles.
    I am going to the Cohen gig tomorrow night. What time does he come on stage and what time does it finish up at? Thanks Can't wait!!

7.15 sharp. Finishes shortly before 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Just don't talk or yis'll be hung in there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Was at his concert last night and I have to say he completely blew me away. Pitch perfect singing from himself and the Webb sisters, the band were excellent and the feeling in the singing and the instrumentation was unbelievable.

Having never seen him before I knew he was going to be good but nothing like how he performed. I doubt I will ever be at a concert like that ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

The Master and co were amazing as always. Both concerts were brillant but last night edged it for me. I'm about to write my review and will link when it is posted.

Now as for the below............................
    CiaranK wrote: »
    Just don't talk or yis'll be hung in there :P

Please anyone going to the concerts tomorrow and Saturday if ye must go to the bar, stay there!!!!!!! It is a real irritant when people are constantly coming and going. A guy in our row last night said on one of his numerous bar trips he'd get 2 pints this time and I replied how about he get no pints and stay seated or not come back!

As for people talking I told this woman to STFU on Tuesday during FBR. We were leaning on the barrier and when she objected I told her I didn't come to listen to her. Last night I told a couple the same during Coming Back To You! I know some who have an issue when people sing along but I have no problems with that (within reason) but constant chatter is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Masterful stuff from Leonard again last, such a gracious man and what a
    performance from a 77 year old. Too many highlights to mention. Incredible
    band and vocalists too.

To the woman who was sitting behind me talking throughout the performance,
    I hope your cat survives its trip to the vets and you eventually decide
    where to take your ski trip this year. And yeah, I did 'go back north',
    but at my own leisurely speed.

I really don't see the point of going to a Leonard Cohen concert and spending
    the time talking or walking back and forth to the bar/toilets. Just stay at the
    back and talk/drink/pee away to your heart's content.

Masterful stuff from Leonard again last, such a gracious man and what a
    performance from a 77 year old. Too many highlights to mention. Incredible
    band and vocalists too.

To the woman who was sitting behind me talking throughout the performance,
    I hope your cat survives its trip to the vets and you eventually decide
    where to take your ski trip this year. And yeah, I did 'go back north',
    but at my own leisurely speed.

I really don't see the point of going to a Leonard Cohen concert and spending
    the time talking or walking back and forth to the bar/toilets. Just stay at the
    back and talk/drink/pee away to your heart's content.

Hard to get away from the gombeens to be honest. You might have thought you'd be safe at a Leonard Cohen concert but alas, they're to be found there too. Thankfully, I just about managed to not let them spoil the music for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I had a looney middle-aged woman directly in front of me, with a big red hat, who clapped and danced weirdly and talked, and rang someone and held the phone up towards the stage so they could hear, and waved their arms like they were a conductor. Most of this doesn't sound as bad as it actually was because the looney manner these things were done in doesn't come across. "#1 fan" drawing more attention to herself than the people on the stage were. Very annoying and distracting.

There were a lot of middle-aged women at it tbh, though most weren't apparent looneys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Petra157

There were a lot of middle-aged women at it tbh, though most weren't apparent looneys.

And there were a lot of middle-aged men there also, and some of them weren't apparent looneys either :D

Advertisement