Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leonard Cohen - Kilmainham, Sept 11 / 12

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Much better crowd as a rule last night except for a hyena behind me who had a VIP Pass but once I went to the barrier for the encores people behaved as they should at a Leonard concert. Friends had an idiot annoying them in the first half but then he got sick and passed out for the second half. Classy eh LOL However I don't let these people ruin what for me is the best experiences ever watching and listening to Leonard perform. Best concert so far of this tour for me. Loved hearing Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye live since the first time since Katowice 2010. Also good to see Different Sides make a reappearence last night. Roll on tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

What's this barrier of which you speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

What was the music before and during interval At Saturday gig? Weather Report ?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

what was the name of the song The Webb sisters sang tonight????

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Norderburse

what was the name of the song The Webb sisters sang tonight????

"Coming Back To You". Unlike "If it be your will" (which is still great but I just love the version on Essential Leonard Cohen), I prefer their version of this song to Leonards original

Re-live it here ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

wow! that was quick, many many thanks...... does anyone have the set list from tonight's concert please....I believe it was a different set from the set list already posted here during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

blastman wrote: »
    It was cold all right, I was thinking the same thing about it being a pity the gigs weren't last week when we had the good weather. He was wearing a scarf for the second half!

Terrific gig, though, very impressive band. They walked onstage bang on 7.15 and finished just after 11.00 (with a 15-20 minute interval). He played three songs off the new album as well as pretty much everything you could want to hear. Sound was excellent, crowd reasonably well behaved although still too many latecomers/bar runners for my liking, as being all-seated, it was much more obvious and annoying. Brilliant night though, and I'm glad I got to finally see the legend in the flesh.

Couldn't agree more. I was there on Friday and, while I thought LC and his band were excellent, the event was spoiled for me to a large extent by all this carry on. Not only was it all-seated but it was for most people on the flat, so latecomers/people going out for drinks, etc, affect the view of those in rows behind them as well when they move.

I was near the end of my row, and there was a constant stream of people coming in and out. One woman passed me on, I am sure, at least 12 occasions, whether going in and out for more drinks, going to the jacks a couple of times, etc. It was all a serious irritation.

I paid around 94 euro including booking fee. I couldn't fault the band in any way, but for that kind of money I do expect to be able to sit back and enjoy the concert reasonably unimpeded. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭andy1249

What was the music before and during interval At Saturday gig? Weather Report ?

If it was the same as Friday night , then it was Jeff Beck , the track is called Space Boogie.

This is the setlist from Friday , not sure if exactly the correct order though , myself and the wife had a little spat about whether Alexandra leaving was in that postion in the setlist ... She's probably right !!

First Set
    Dance Me to the End of Love
    The Future
    Bird on the Wire
    Everybody Knows
    Who by Fire
    Darkness
    Sisters of Mercy
    Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye
    Amen
    Different Sides
    Come Healing ( Mostly Webb Sisters )
    I Can't Forget
    In My Secret Life
    The Flood (poem)
    Anthem

Second Set
    Tower of Song
    Suzanne
    Night Comes On
    Heart with No Companion
    The Gypsy's Wife
    The Partisan
    Democracy
    Coming Back to You
    (performed by the Webb Sisters)
    Alexandra Leaving
    (performed by Sharon Robinson)
    I'm Your Man
    Hallelujah
    Take This Waltz ( Leonard paraphrases Moses before this , he says "Let My People Dance" , this was clearly aimed at the stewards who might have stopped people waltzing in the aisles)

Encore:
    So Long, Marianne
    First We Take Manhattan

Encore 2:
    Famous Blue Raincoat
    If It Be Your Will ( Webb Sisters )
    Closing Time

Encore 3:
    I Tried to Leave You

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

That was some concert. I really hope he brings out a CD of this tour. The clarity of the sound was superb. Probably one of the best concerts I will ever see. Having it outdoors made it even more special and yes, the rain stayed off. :cool:

He has such reverence for his audience and his fellow musicians. I hope he feels that we reciprocated in our appreciation.

He actually sounds better live and today, than he did on album 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Once again - Another special LC show.

I went on the Tuesday night & while it was cold as hell, he kept us captivated for the 3+ hours.

Just a few complaints

- The constant middle aged men & women getting up in the aisles or the front barrier to take pictures, this was very distracting and their ignorance towards security trying to usher them back to their seats was disappointing

- The constant shuffle of people to the bars & toilets

- The drunken waltzing during take this waltz, once again, this was obstructing other peoples views and the fighting towards security created a distracting sideshow

- The rush to the barrier for the encore, this was very unfair on those people in the front few rows as not only could they not see but it caused a crush at the front, Security should have done a much better job here.

...Other than that, great night !!!!

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Should be said. The Webb sisters were just brilliant and can be heard on his latest album Old Ideas - excellent vibe.

s8n wrote: »

- The rush to the barrier for the encore, this was very unfair on those people in the front few rows as not only could they not see but it caused a crush at the front, Security should have done a much better job here.

...Other than that, great night !!!!

:D:D

It is an unwritten rule and a longstanding tradition to rush to the barrier for the encores. Leonard and the band love it. No way was security stopping that!

Hope everyone is enjoying Leonard's birthday. I am currently reliving the wonderful 4 nights in Kilmainham watching videos from the shows :)

musicmania wrote: »
    I am currently reliving the wonderful 4 nights in Kilmainham watching videos from the shows :)

I saw them...you were wearing half your dress....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

musicmania wrote: »
    It is an unwritten rule and a longstanding tradition to rush to the barrier for the encores. Leonard and the band love it. No way was security stopping that!

This was my 3rd LC show, so well aware of the tradition, what proof do you have that the band "love it" ?
    As I stated in my OP, its very unfair on those in the first few rows who have paid a premium for seats and then find themselves in a crush. It should have been handled better by security.

This was my 3rd LC show, so well aware of the tradition, what proof do you have that the band "love it" ?
    As I stated in my OP, its very unfair on those in the first few rows who have paid a premium for seats and then find themselves in a crush. It should have been handled better by security.

I asked some of the band and the crew when I met them and anyone I asked said they like seeing us at the front for the encores. It was handled differently on different days in Kilmainham. On the Wednesday and Saturday it was more controlled, Wednesday because Michael D Higgins was there, not sure of the reason for Saturday. I think part of the problem was how close the front row was to the barriers as I don't remember a crush in Ghent where there was a bigger gap between the front row and the barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

- The drunken waltzing during take this waltz, once again, this was obstructing other peoples views and the fighting towards security created a distracting sideshow

Didn't have any problem with that, actually I thought it was a novel audience interaction, then again it didn't block my view.

Advertisement