Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Calculation/Formula

Options
  • 26-03-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hello,

Does anybody know how to calculate mortgage repayments for capital & interest and interest only?

I know that there are 100's of calulators on the net but I would like to know the formula for these calculations. i.e. a term, b capital, c rate etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Speculator wrote: »
    Hello,

Does anybody know how to calculate mortgage repayments for capital & interest and interest only?

I know that there are 100's of calulators on the net but I would like to know the formula for these calculations. i.e. a term, b capital, c rate etc..

Interest only calculations are very simple.... amount multiplied by rate divided by 12....gives you monthly repayment

C&I is more complicated as it would need to take into account term & a reducing capital balance basis as Interest is calculated daily but generally applied monthly... I'd use a calc from the net for these ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

killers1 wrote: »
    Interest only calculations are very simple.... amount multiplied by rate divided by 12....gives you monthly repayment

C&I is more complicated as it would need to take into account term & a reducing capital balance basis as Interest is calculated daily but generally applied monthly... I'd use a calc from the net for these ones!

Hi Killers1,

Thanks for your reply, do you know the formula for the capital and interest calculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Here's one for daily interest

(1000*A/12)/(1-(1/(1+A/12)^(B*12)))*(C/1000)

where A is the nominal interest rate, B is the term in years and C is the original principal.

Here's one for daily interest

(1000*A/12)/(1-(1/(1+A/12)^(B*12)))*(C/1000)

where A is the nominal interest rate, B is the term in years and C is the original principal.

Think I'll stick to the online ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Oh you're only being modest. I know you can work out monthly repayments using this formula in your head...after five pints. ;)

• Advertisement

Oh you're only being modest. I know you can work out monthly repayments using this formula in your head...after five pints. ;)

Liam, I need at least 5 pints to be able to work out the interest only ones in my head!

Advertisement