Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV or Netflix for Business

Options
  • 26-03-2012 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, has anybody used Netflix or a tv satellite package for business purposes?

I have a beauty salon and we have 8 treatment areas/rooms, each with a dvd/tv combo player for the client to watch while in treatment. We use dvds (we are not hooked up for satellite tv) but I find I am constantly having to replace the tvs because the dvd players break after about 6 months to 1 year (all different brand tvs...seems to happen to them all eventually). I get them covered under warranty for 3 years so I can replace them. We have them playing dvds all day every day so I know that is not exactly normal usage but it is getting a bit frustrating so I am looking at other options.

Wondering if anybody has any ideas??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Zikka

Just checked - sorry Netflix is not suitable for business use so that rules that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Am i seein it differently but you are buying a combo that could be considered troublesome because of both of the intregated uses..

Why not purchase a tv instead and cheap 30 euro dvd player???
    And if your not paying for those replacements combos .. i cant see what the problem is bar time issue of getting them returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Zikka

True - that could be an option but the rooms are small enough and it is more convenient to have the one unit we can hang on the wall and not take up any extra space.

The time issue is not huge but it's not the most satisfactory arrangement as they tend to break at the busiest times and if I'm not around to rush off and replace it then it becomes an issue.

I will look into separate dvd players as there may be something we can do there - thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Why not get pc, stored the dvds on the pc and stream them to the tvs?

Google media pcs.

You would need a back up disk but still cheaper then 6-8 dvd players

e

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

yes, you should be able to get a better solution for your situation. If you just want to show random dvd's, you could send the same signal to all the screens from a central unit. Or you could have a central disk somewhere and draw the movies to each of the units. You could use a couple of different sorts of units for this. The main issue would be that the central disk and the network were fast enough to support all the units. However, it would definitely be feasible.

The problem you are having with the dvd players is that they are not designed to be used for such long hours as you are using them. You would probably be able to source heavier-duty dvd players, but really, the technology has moved on and you should be able to get something better.

The big issue for a business like yours is the disruption it causes when these things break and have to be replaced. It is worth spending a bit to get the right solution.

Separate to this, you need to consider the copyright aspects of operating in this way. There was a recent ECJ case in relation to use of copyright materials in dental surgeries and in hotels that might be relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Are you sure people actually want to watch DVDs while getting their treatment? I know I wouldn't want to if I was getting my haircut or something.

Advertisement