Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An ESM referendum too?

• 26-03-2012 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Can Ireland agree to a change to the TFEU allowing the setting up of the ESM without it going to a referendum?

Vincent Browne was saying the other night that in his opinion we needed a referendum - him being a barrister as well as a journalist I'm assuming he has given this a bit of thought and there is an argument to be made?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Continuity Wolfe Tone

No one?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

You'd have to look in detail at Lisbon. It may not be the case that a Referendum is required in all circumstances!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Continuity Wolfe Tone

Thanks for the reply Tom,

It seems to me that this change is quite a large one that changes how the EU works.

I don't understand why the govt couldn't sign up to Lisbon or Nice etc without asking the Irish peoples permission to do so yet can agree to this change without asking/requiring the Irish peoples permission.

I was hoping someone here would know the answer but I guess I'm going to have to investigate myself, not something I'm looking forward to, I've always struggled with EU law.

Advertisement