Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Windows Care" phishing scam

• 26-03-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've had about 6 of these calls lately, all claiming to be from a company called Windows Care. Beware if you get one of these calls its a phishing scam.

This is a call center based in India cold calling and have been found in the UK to be trying to scam people into allowing them to take remote access over their PC's, they then infect your PC with God knows what, from key loggers to trojans etc. Then the "sell" you virus protection at a huge cost.

Bottom line, Windows dont cold call to sell you anything. If someone cold calls you dont let them convince you that you need them no matter what they say as they can be quiet convincing. I personally like to shout at them before handging up as its good for relieving stress.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

This has been going on for a few years now. There are lots of existing threads on Boards.ie already about it.

No harm keeping people updated and informed though.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    This has been going on for a few years now. There are lots of existing threads on Boards.ie already about it.

No harm keeping people updated and informed though.

Ken

I would love to know how they got my phone number. we NEVER give our house phone number out - only our mobiles. i have taken to telling then i don't have a pc. yet they call at least once a week.

Advertisement