Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to change from puppy to adult food?

• 26-03-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi there

As the title asks. My Airedale is 10 months now and I'm wondering is there a right time to be switching to adult food.

He has done well on the Red Mills Leader large breed, should I keep him going on this or try an adult food?

Thanks

Bull

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

BullBauld wrote: »
    He has done well on the Red Mills Leader large breed, should I keep him going on this or try an adult food?

At one stage I fed one of my pups RM. I think I was told at the time from RMs that you should wait till 12 months before switching.

But I reckon your best bet is to send an email to RM as there is no information on their site.

RM puppy large has 25% protein. RM large 22%. Would that be a factor?

I know one food where you make the switch at 6 months and the protein is lower at 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I Was advised by my vet not to change my dogs food till she was 12months old,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

check the feeding guidelines on the side of the food.... if your sticking to the same feed then you'l have no worries, some foods have specific puppy and adult foods.

Depending then on which food your on the age specific food will have different ages to change to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Personally, I switch from puppy to adult food around the 6 months mark - particularly if I am getting them neutered around this time. Some people do leave it longer but I see no need to. Larger breeds need to grow at a slow and steady rate - a big spurt can lead to joint issues and Pano. I know some people don't feed a puppy food at all and only feed adult food once the puppies are fully weaned! It's all down to personal choice and what you feel is best for your pup/dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Like Lorebringer, I changed my pup onto adult food at 7 mths due to the growth spurt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement