Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance for visiting relative

Options
  • 26-03-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Looking for some advice. I need to get health insurance for 2/3 months for a visiting relative who is already here in ireland. I cant find a company offering it.

Although 68, she's in perfect health. The reason we are getting it is purely because it is a requirement for the department of justice for her for a visa extension.

Does anyone know, is there anyone offering insurance of this kind?... I've called a couple of the big guns (quinn/vhi) so far and they dont provide such a service.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I'm going to guess and say she would only be able to take it out in the country that she is resident in permanently. Travel insurance may cover it. But not to the same extent. But again it would have to be taken out prior to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wouldn't that be covered as part of their travel insurance in the home country?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mapera

Yes, that is correct. So she whould have had the travel insurance for the duration of her original plans.

But now that has lapsed, and she is looking for an extension, she is now residing here in ireland.

Any ideas?...thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

She'll need to get in touch with her insurance company again and renew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mapera

Yeah, unfortunately we cant get in touch with them, so the same question really is still there, is there any company here that I can get an insurance policy from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Seems strange that you "can't get in touch with them". Does she know who they are? Have you a policy? do they have a phone??

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

mapera wrote: »
    Yeah, unfortunately we cant get in touch with them, so the same question really is still there, is there any company here that I can get an insurance policy from?

Unfortunately, the short answer is 'no', as far as I'm aware. Even if she's now a resident of Ireland, the minimum health insurance period is 1 year and involves waiting periods and perhaps even exclusions given her age. As others have said, a travel insurance extension is likely to be the only option.

Advertisement