Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annaly Hotel

Options
  • 26-03-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know why this hotel closed down?

Or who owns it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

I think Reynolds own it. They used to run the Escobar anyway and the Escobar was always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

Hi,

Or who owns it?

Owned/disowned by the Reynolds dynasty I believe.The front became a pub,Escobar,which died a death.Not sure about the ballroom.

Edit:Beaten by Somuj :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Hi,

Or who owns it?

It closed because it and Escabar weren't doing enough business. It's owned by Jim Reynolds and was probably used mainly as an overflow for his other hotel, The Longford Arms. Little need for that these days, by all accounts.

Edit: three replies in a minute! :pac: The ballroom has been used for a couple of events over the past few years, but otherwise that's out of action, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

thank you all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Annaly and Escobar are owned by the Jim Reynolds

Escobar had lovely food but no atomsphere

Annaly hotel had Standard 3 star rooms which were modern but Basic .

Everyone wanted to stay in the Longford Arms and the Annaly was used for Overflow

Also the Annaly was used for Business Customers longer stays .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

It's sad really though - a lot of people have a lot of great memories of the Annaly from the past, so many people got married there over the years and it was the hotel of choice for business people passing through when Longford had so much more of that kind of trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭quickrack

Who owned/closed the Fountain Blue??

quickrack wrote: »
    Who owned/closed the Fountain Blue??

I forget who owned it originally, but it was bought by Jim Reynolds in the '90s, ran as a night club for a while by his son, then shut down and left vacant.

So they bought up most of the hotels in Longford and closed them??
    I always wondered how Carrick- on- Shannon could have 2-3 sucessfull Hotel but Longford only had 1.:rolleyes:

quickrack wrote: »
    So they bought up most of the hotels in Longford and closed them??
    I always wondered how Carrick- on- Shannon could have 2-3 sucessfull Hotel but Longford only had 1.:rolleyes:

Yep, they bought them up and in the process contributed to the restriction in growth of the town.

• Advertisement

no point me trying to lease it off Jim Reynolds so.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JimmyR

no point me trying to lease it off Jim Reynolds so.

You could force the matter by looking up legislation I believe exists regarding dormant buildings. It would be great to see something done with it and it has the potential to do well if the right person took it over and knew how to run a successful business.

By all accounts Jim Reynolds could be in trouble with his businesses as it is so may be delighted to get some income from some of his property's coming in.

On a side note related to running a business... has anyone ever noticed how poor the service is at the bars in the function rooms and Blazers night club. If you want to make money at a bar you need competent staff to get the drink out quick, this was never the case in any bar attached to Longford arms. It either had few staff, incompetent bar staff or both!! No other business in the town has been as badly run as the Longford Arms. The worst business plan ever ... buy up the competition and everyone will come to mine...wrong unfortunately and the knock on effect has been added business for towns like Carrick On Shannon, Mullingar and Athlone.

ur not the "Jim R " i was hoping are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

did staff move from the Escobar to the longford arms when it closed . I haven't been there for years

Yep, they bought them up and in the process contributed to the restriction in growth of the town.

Good God!!
    And I bet he's actually proud of his achievements:confused:
    Has anyone ever heard of "Tourists"??:) or "Healthy competition"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 truesmiles

What's going to happen to Annaly and Fountain Blue? I'm not sure if they are for sale or what.

truesmiles wrote: »
    What's going to happen to Annaly and Fountain Blue? I'm not sure if they are for sale or what.

I think we all know they'd be allowed to rot to nothing rather than being sold to a 'competitor'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 truesmiles

I think we all know they'd be allowed to rot to nothing rather than being sold to a 'competitor'.

What a waste........

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

For the first time in years, there were some cars in the Fountain Blue car park last week. there were a few lads in there tidying up the weeds. Why, I can only wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I saw someone power washing it! :P Exciting times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭IPR_Iain

This is so true.

We need another hotel to cater for business people, it would help so much.

BTW - blue fountain - isn't this where they stuck all the e-voting machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onelad

It's currently for sale if you're still interested

• Registered Users Posts: 29 longford101

Is it definitely for sale?

Advertisement