Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Come in to our terrible room"

Options
  • 26-03-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭

I make no claims for any genuine supernatural component to this story, but it scared me at the time and others might enjoy it too. Lisatiffany's response to another post prompted the memory.

In 2002, my wife and I were on honeymon in Italy. On our second last day in Rome, before moving on to Tuscany, we took an excursion to Pompeii. While I was there, I couldn't resist popping a lump of volcanic rock, about the size of a large fist, into my bag. There were pieces of the stuff lying around all over the place. I was fascinated to think that these very rocks had been spewed out by the volcano on that awful day 2,000-odd years ago.

The following night we were in a hotel in Tuscany, and in the small hours I had an extremely vivid dream. In the dream, I was approaching a small ancient-looking closed door in an equally ancient-looking wall. I would guess that even my five-year old who is small for her age would have had to duck to get through it. As I approached (more like floated towards) the door a disembodied voice was saying "Come in to our terrible room."

I woke up with a fright. And my first thought was of the rock from Pompeii, and that I should never had taken it and maybe I'd upset...something. In the end it took me a long time to get to sleep that night. The dream had rattled me probably more than any other I'd ever had in my life*. My dreams are usually anything but vivid.

I considered dumping the rock, but decided to wait and see what transpired, since I rather liked it, and I wasn't going back to Pompeii, so maybe just throwing it away wouldn't make any difference, anyway. As it happened...nothing happened, and it's on the window sill in this very room as I type (propping up some papers that I really need to throw away). I suspect rich Italian food, rather than any curse, to have been the source of the dream.

We took away one other souvenir that day, a cuddly toy cat who we named "Cassius", and who our daughters have since renamed "Caspa". Thankfully, he has not been the source of any supernatural events. :)

Stork

*Apart perhaps from the twenty-foot tall abominable snowman who chased me along a beach while simultaneously swinging himself on a giant child's swing. No I don't know how he managed it either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

move to sleeping and dreaming :p

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

That's an interesting story and actually reminds me of why i used to not take souvenirs from places. i don't mean holiday destinations though, i used to be into urban exploration and apart from the danger i loved going through places knowing it was years since anyone else stepped foot in there. at first i used to consider taking little trinkets from places but the more i thought about it the more i knew it was a bad idea. most of the places had been industrial and not residential, bolands mill and pigeon house out in poolbeg come to mind. there were all kinds of little things like old keys and broken dials but i never felt right about taking anything. the chances are nothing would happen but it never felt right even picking them up.

It could be that an object traps enough energy and emotion over its years of use and that's only whats being picked up but i have heard from too many people about how a bargain chair or mirror brought something into the house. i've even heard of spirits getting restless because personal items were not spread out evenly among family or a will was not honored. i think any item that was important to a spirit can be an attachment and the difference between them passing on. you will even hear in rare cases where an object usually very small was taken back, a ring for instance. for it to happen the spirit would have to use a tremendous amount of energy but if the bond is great enough then the energy increase could well be enough to affect an object on this side. it could be bad memory or misplacement but some people swear something just vanished from its usual spot and was never seen again. if it vanished and turned up later elsewhere then in all likelihood its a poltergeist but if it never comes back it could have been reclaimed. fair enough someone could have stolen it but if it was something that only had sentimental value they would have nothing to gain and its unlikely it would be stolen in the first place.

Actually a lot of mediumship training involves cold reading objects, you don't always get a hit but some people have been 100% spot on, you don't have to be a medium to pick up feelings or energies from objects anyone the least bit sensitive will get minor impressions. one reading in particular comes to mind, the medium said they got impressions of cold and dark, it turns out the item had been in space. if yours had been just a regular rock i'd say there was nothing too it but when you think of all the people who perished there and how long the two towns were completely buried and forgotten about, whether it was from the heat or ash suffocation its a fairly safe bet that something may have stuck around. Caspa sounds safe enough though, new toys don't really have anything hanging around them but i'd be wary enough buying old toys at car-boot sales and the like, call me paranoid but you never can tell who owned it last. :)

As for the snowman, i have no idea but now i'm pondering having ice cream, maybe a strawberry cornetto. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Great story, make a great film, Harrison Ford in lead role, :D.

Advertisement