Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Chasing Cars' by Snow Patrol

Options
  • 26-03-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭

As I watched a bit of 'Sport Relief' on Friday night, and saw Mr. Lightbody tap out that technical and highly complex riff for the 4-millionth time, I got to thinking...how did this song become so popular?

I even saw a performance on one of the MTV channels of the band performing an outdoor gig in Belfast - as soon as the song started, the audience went ballistic! :confused: Hardly 'Hey Jude', is it?

This is not a slight on Snow Patrol or Mr. Lightbody, I just don't 'get' how such a bland and frankly soul-less song has managed to connect so well with the general public.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭emo72

As I watched a bit of 'Sport Relief' on Friday night, and saw Mr. Lightbody tap out that technical and highly complex riff for the 4-millionth time, I got to thinking...how did this song become so popular?

I even saw a performance on one of the MTV channels of the band performing an outdoor gig in Belfast - as soon as the song started, the audience went ballistic! :confused: Hardly 'Hey Jude', is it?

This is not a slight on Snow Patrol or Mr. Lightbody, I just don't 'get' how such a bland and frankly soul-less song has managed to connect so well with the general public.

It was featured on a Cliff hangar episode of greys anatomy. All the women love it. Bought the CD in tesco the next day. The rest is history .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think One tree hill and greys anotemy played it in one of their episodes and ever since then it's because what it is -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

A lot of people like it bland and these guys deliver.

On the subject, once they hit it big I always had this impression from every successive single I heard on the radio that Snow Patrol were a band terrified that the spell would break. Their songs sound like a band walking on egg shells afraid they'll make something that will wake their audience up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thing is they are popular because their music is easy to sing along to and they have discovered the formula for selling CDs. I personally have no issue with them. Final Straw is one of my fav albums of all time, pure class.

As for people thinking they are bland, well thats due to music being so subjective. People who tell you this might then go on to tell you that The Pixies or PJ Harvey is class music, whereas you might hate it. Or that Springsteen is great, or RHCP or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

smokedeels wrote: »

On the subject, once they hit it big I always had this impression from every successive single I heard on the radio that Snow Patrol were a band terrified that the spell would break. Their songs sound like a band walking on egg shells afraid they'll make something that will wake their audience up.

Good point. A lot of it is down to the record company, who would want each successive album to have 12 x 'Chasing Cars'. It has become the band's albatross around their neck. Same goes for Elbow with 'One Day Like This'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I liked Run, after that I found Snow Patrol's music to be endlessly dull, bland and samey. I guess it's like smokedeels wrote, a lot of people just like bland music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

"Set the fire to the third bar" I like, but then I'm a Martha Wainwright fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

smokedeels wrote: »

Well said. They spend their entire time refining the few singles of a new album in that same staid fashion that people seem to love and latch onto. Once they have these in check, the rest of the album can do whatever it likes. I'd say no-one has ever listened to the filler remainder of any of their albums. It's a tried and tested formula by them and it strangely works time and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think One tree hill and greys anotemy played it in one of their episodes and ever since then it's because what it is -

You're right, it was in one of the Greys Anatomy season finales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Have you never listened to other bands that have made it big?

Coldplay? Keane? Travis?

My morning porridge has more edge.

The majority of people like their music the way they like their television - bland, inoffensive and suitably boring.

Hello success, goodbye originality!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

I understand were you are coming from, its not the worlds best song in world by any means, but it is the song that made them famous so maybe sometimes simple is best!

Advertisement