Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compatability of Games

Options
  • 26-03-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,
    If I buy Xbox, PS3 or Wii from the States, can they be used in the respective consoles here. Is there a compatability issue with the Irish Consoles or like DVD's they have to be a certain Region before they work here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

PS3 is generally OK as far as I know.
    Wii is region locked so will not work here.

The 360 is hit or miss - some games are region free, some are region locked. If you look up a game on www.play-asia.com you can find out if it is region free.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Make sure the games are NTSC for an American console, For an Irish bought console the games must be PAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Make sure the games are NTSC for an American console, For an Irish bought console the games must be PAL.
    See Mr. E's answer - This is no longer a rule of thumb with the current gen.

There is a bit of an issue regarding DVD's for a ps3 iirc. I'm pretty sure it's region locked in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There is a bit of an issue regarding DVD's for a ps3 iirc. I'm pretty sure it's region locked in that regard.

Yep, they are. Also, if you're one of us lucky ones with a still-functioning B/C PS3, you'll find that PS2 titles are region-locked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Also, for PS3 at least DLC is generally region locked. If you are buying a US game you will need to buy any DLC from the American store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The PS3's firmware allows publishers to region-lock their games but for some reason it's become standard for PS3 games not be region-locked. I've got a couple of US games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bakugan

Thanks for all the replies,
    much appreciated and a big help as always

Cheers

Advertisement