Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill HD Collection is a disgrace

Options
  • 26-03-2012 2:33pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone thinking of buying this HD collection should warned, apparently it's terrible. Lots of special effects like the fog have been removed amongst other major issues like framerate problems. Here's a list I got from the HG 101 forums:
    > Konami doesn't care about any of their console games besides Metal Gear because they make their real money off of mobile and pachinko games.
    > The PS3 version seems to be ragged on the most.
    > The bugs render the collection a goddamned mess. They range from horrible framerates to random crashes to puzzles rendered impossible due to a graphical layer being removed to the wrong audio file being played during a scene, spoiling a part of the story.
    > While it's important to note that SH2 apparently has a history of being a pain in the ass to port, if the GameTap and Xbox 360 backwards compatibility issues are any indication, SH3 doesn't. That still doesn't excuse the problems with these new ports.
    > Some gamers haven't reported any of these bugs/problems, which either means that not all of these copies are as bad as most, or that they're just ignoring the bugs.
    > They edited the infamous "rape" scene between Pyramid Head and the mannequins.
    > The script for SH3 has had some alterations, but the original subtitles have not been changed to match.
    > On a related note, they reused the fonts from the original versions.
    > They cut out the self-shadowing effects on characters. If they could do it in 2001-3, why not now?

Also the original Silent Hill 2 art director has said publically that he thinks the HD collections treatments of the games is an absolute disgrace.

It's a real shame because I feel a lot more people should experience the masterpiece that is Silent Hill 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

wrote:
    > They edited the infamous "rape" scene between Pyramid Head and the mannequins.

Any more infomation on this part? Edited it how exactly? Have the cut the whole scen out?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,848 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow thats crap! SH 2 is the best of the series. Did I hear amazon stopped selling it because there are so many problems with it?

What 'rape' scene? Where he is stuffing the mannequin down the sink?

Is that what's going on there? It's kinda impossible to tell really.

Oh Jesus it is! I must have blocked this out when I was a young fella. I remember him just stuffing it down a sink. What a disturbing vid. The 2nd top comment is brilliant :D

Still looks a fair bit more sinister than a sink stuffin', lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Aye, read about this over the weekend. Looks pretty shocking alright. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

i was more concerned previously reading that the SH2 voice/mocap cast didn't get royalties on the original game and were getting replaced until the story spread all over the net. Are they still revoicing the cast?

Em, i'll hold off until i hear better news about this HD collection. TBH they're very old games, they should remodel the characters and environments and stop being cheapasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

553884_368670003164985_100000659643432_1181795_275871564_n.jpg

There was so much uproar over the voice actor change, Konami added both old and new voice actors so you can choose who you want to hear. Original cast all the way. Konami tried to burn them so bad and now they have 2 sets of voice actors in the game. So rediculous.

I saw a comparison screenshot last week and honestly couldn't tell which was PS2 and which was PS3.

I mean from the pic below, the PS2 version looks way better.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    There was so much uproar over the voice actor change, Konami added both old and new voice actors so you can choose who you want to hear. Original cast all the way. Konami tried to burn them so bad and now they have 2 sets of voice actors in the game. So rediculous.

According to one of the reviews in one of the links posted above, that's only true about SH2. The third game has no option, and only plays the new recording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Yep, its by all accounts an absolute hatchet job by some no talent hacks.
    So what i did instead was get SH 2 & 3 on PC and after some tinkering, they look great, work with a 360 Pad, and are as the developers intended.

I put up a few shots of them in action on the blog, rather than stretch your pages with them, but it looks fantastic on PC for a game 10 years old:

http://printscreenpictures.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/silent-hill-hd/

(seriously this forum needs spoiler boxes that hide pictures or auto resizing a la any other modern forum software!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

this is a pretty damning review

http://www.thegamingvault.com/2012/03/review-silent-hill-hd-collection-ps3360/

I'm disappointed as I was looking forward to giving SH2 another run.. Ah well..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Oh Jesus it is! I must have blocked this out when I was a young fella. I remember him just stuffing it down a sink. What a disturbing vid. The 2nd top comment is brilliant :D

its quite amazing how many kids were playing these games back in the day and no one became a mass murderer, but now in video game you show small bit of blood - there will be mass murder spree... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TBH Silent Hill is far more tastfully done than the likes of Call of Duty but definitely more disturbing.

The thing about Silent Hill 2 is that everything factors into the story even the enemies. Pyramid Head is a phallic symbol of raw male sexual lust while the mannaquin is a perverted form of James desires (why it's only made of sexy female legs).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Thank god I still have my PS2 and SH on standby. Was gonna dive into this. Thanks for the heads up RG

Thank god I still have my PS2 and SH on standby. Was gonna dive into this. Thanks for the heads up RG

*hugs his first release 60gb PS3, which can play ps1 ps2 ps3 games.

will have to look in to ebay to get more ps2 game i have missed in years. believe it or not i still havent played SH2! :eek:

i played first and third, but i dont know how could i managed to skip second. seeing that the newest one is pure shiet too, i will have to go a bit retro!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Disappointing. Was looking forward to this. Haven't played Silent Hill 2 in years and I have never had the pleasure of 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'll be keeping my money in my pocket so, I'd heard it had some issues and thought I'd be able to over look them but this was delayed it's release several times, and they still manage to release it botched.

Downpour isn't looking much better, but it's a more tempting prospect at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

That's a shame as I was really looking forward to this. Will more than likely try and get those PC versions working as they look fantastic plus the 360 controller is a good plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Sera wrote: »
    553884_368670003164985_100000659643432_1181795_275871564_n.jpg

I saw a comparison screenshot last week and honestly couldn't tell which was PS2 and which was PS3.

I mean from the pic BELOW, the PS2 version looks way better.

God damnit! He has Invert Y axis enabled too!!!!

Does this board look like a flight simulator to you me boyyyy? :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You'd think if they were being lazy, they could just take the originals and transfer them verbatim to PS3. Idiots.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

waveform wrote: »
    [QUOTE=Sera;77788394

God damnit! He has Invert Y axis enabled too!!!!

Does this board look like a flight simulator to you me boyyyy? :P[/Quote

At first I was like 'ha?' But when I posted that, I added the comment about the pic when I was in the reply screen when that pic was actually below it aaaaaahhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Funny looking ocean.

Really funny that they thought they could release it like this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

*hugs his first release 60gb PS3, which can play ps1 ps2 ps3 games.

will have to look in to ebay to get more ps2 game i have missed in years. believe it or not i still havent played SH2! :eek:

i played first and third, but i dont know how could i managed to skip second. seeing that the newest one is pure shiet too, i will have to go a bit retro!

If you want to borrow SH2 I can post it off to you if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I knew I held on to SH2+3 for a reason! Bar the MGS collection I haven't been impressed with the quality of the recent HD rehashes. RE4 and RE:CV were another disappointment that they could've done alot more with.

All remakes should take Resident Evil on the Gamecube as the bar to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

That's a shame as I was really looking forward to this. Will more than likely try and get those PC versions working as they look fantastic plus the 360 controller is a good plus.

Its great on PC, plus, it has quicksave!! Id really recommend them. Im gonna do an article tomorrow about how to get them working on Win7 and whatnot as they are a bit fiddly but once you get them working theyre sweet. Will post a link when its done

If you want to borrow SH2 I can post it off to you if you want?

thanks for offer man, but my grapes are not big enough at this moment. i barely managed dead space with no brown stains in my undies :D. plus i wont find time to play it at nights as misses takes telly away from me. i need to sort out my eyefinity setup fast so i would have a spare hdmi port for ps3 in my office!

I'm pretty disappointed by this. Who did the port? I take it wasn't bluepoint? They did an amazing job with MGS, why didn't Konami use them for Silent Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

The thing is the game was made to look grainy and grimey. Polishing it up is a major injustice to the overall tone of the game imo.

• Advertisement

Being overly honest here, I don't get the idea of HD remakes in general. If a game was good at the time, then I'd play it that way. Slapping a nice suit and tie on it makes exactly feck all difference to me. Re-release it as it was, and I'd buy it regardless.

Advertisement