Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill HD Collection is a disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

deathrider wrote: »
    Being overly honest here, I don't get the idea of HD remakes in general. If a game was good at the time, then I'd play it that way. Slapping a nice suit and tie on it makes exactly feck all difference to me. Re-release it as it was, and I'd buy it regardless.

Unfortunately, a lot of the older games don't look nice at all when you make the jump from CRT to a HDTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

chrislad wrote: »
    Unfortunately, a lot of the older games don't look nice at all when you make the jump from CRT to a HDTV.

In fairness, I don't play on a HD tv, so I guess it wouldn't effect me, but it I can see why others would want it suped up then.

In fairness, I don't play on a HD tv, so I guess it wouldn't effect me, but it I can see why others would want it suped up then.

It's not even that people want better graphics, the quality of the image just deteriorates quite a bit for the older consoles. A recent example is the Wind Waker on the GameCube. It looks nice but nowhere near as nice as it used to on my older TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

It's not even that people want better graphics, the quality of the image just deteriorates quite a bit for the older consoles. A recent example is the Wind Waker on the GameCube. It looks nice but nowhere near as nice as it used to on my older TV.

Hmmm, I see. It's still a damn shame when it results in disasters like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Being overly honest here, I don't get the idea of HD remakes in general. If a game was good at the time, then I'd play it that way. Slapping a nice suit and tie on it makes exactly feck all difference to me. Re-release it as it was, and I'd buy it regardless.

HD remakes are great, but unfortunately some developers have a different understanding of what HD remake is.

some make a great remakes with updated graphics to give new life to an older game - Witcher 1

some just slap HD sticker and increase resolution to 720p - RE4

some strip of graphics, make it worse looking, cut out content from original - SH collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I'm seriously disappointed with this news. I had such high hopes, not even that the games would be an improvement but that at least the basics would be done right and they would be decent ports.

Bought SH1 on PSN and played through it in preparation for this, was so looking forward to it but fcuk Konami for this I won't be buying it and tbh I've now lost all respect for them.

How they can **** all over the masterpiece that is SH2 is beyond me. Anyway rant over!! :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Asmodean wrote: »
    The thing is the game was made to look grainy and grimey. Polishing it up is a major injustice to the overall tone of the game imo.

True, the game uses a lot of low light level filters that simulate the coloured cones in the eyes switching to the black and white cones in low light levels. It deteriorates the image quality in a very realistic manner.

A big problem is people playing old consoles on HD displays which make the games look awful. They look an awful lot better on a CRT. The colours are better and TV's have scanlines and a natural antialiasing effect so the games look gorgeous on a CRT but really blocky on a HD screen. Recently got a Neo Geo MVS arcade system and it looks absolutely stunning on a CRT but the image quality deteriorates on a HD display.

Metacritic is not looking too bad for it at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Metacritic is not looking too bad for it at the moment though.

That proves **** all tho when the majority of people playing it are saying its a disgrace. IGN gave it a 9.0 for ****s sake, thats ridiculous. The originals may be worth that, but a rushed, botched, glitchy, feature stripped version of the originals isnt.

Anyway, got the tutorial done for running 2 & 3 on win 7/vista/multicore cpu's if anyone wants help

http://printscreenpictures.wordpress.com/2012/03/27/silent-hill-12-how-to-guide/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

well this collection news hurt me inside , makes me catious what zone of the enders turns out like

can only find silent hill 3 to be cheap as nuts but silent hill 2 is really expensive online ;(

hopefully summer time the prices drop

• Advertisement

IGN gave it a 9.0 for ****s sake, thats ridiculous.

They gave it a 9 and one of their quotes was "and the new voice recordings sound far more human than the laughable original acting." :rolleyes:

It's quite clearly very broken, even all the user reviews on metacritic are hilarious. They are all 0's or 10's with the 0's being people who have played it listing crazy bugs and problems saying how it is such a disappointment and the 10's are from butt hurt fan boys who clearly haven't played it and just go on about how good the silent hill games are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Remember, IGN is full of morons.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Remember, IGN is full of morons.

To be fair their reviews have improved dramatically over the past few months in terms of content and writing but the way they operate is still very questionable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Very disappointing, SH2 remains one of my favourite games. Wont be picking up the HD so. :(

Big Knox wrote: »
    To be fair their reviews have improved dramatically over the past few months in terms of content and writing but the way they operate is still very questionable.

They merged with 1up so there's some cross over there but there's still the old staff left that are useless especially compared to the 1up guys. I'll just say I can't wait for the Eurogamer review and tech analysis, Richard Leadbetter will tear it to shreds.

That proves **** all tho when the majority of people playing it are saying its a disgrace. IGN gave it a 9.0 for ****s sake, thats ridiculous. The originals may be worth that, but a rushed, botched, glitchy, feature stripped version of the originals isnt.

Anyway, got the tutorial done for running 2 & 3 on win 7/vista/multicore cpu's if anyone wants help

http://printscreenpictures.wordpress.com/2012/03/27/silent-hill-12-how-to-guide/

I newer knew we had silent hill games on pc!!! Are they hard to get by these days?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Yep, its by all accounts an absolute hatchet job by some no talent hacks.
    So what i did instead was get SH 2 & 3 on PC and after some tinkering, they look great, work with a 360 Pad, and are as the developers intended.

I put up a few shots of them in action on the blog, rather than stretch your pages with them, but it looks fantastic on PC for a game 10 years old:

http://printscreenpictures.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/silent-hill-hd/

(seriously this forum needs spoiler boxes that hide pictures or auto resizing a la any other modern forum software!!)

Could you elaborate on the tinkering? Did you get to 1080p? Any mods? Where can I buy 2 online? Wish it was on steam.

EDIT:Argh never mind saw you wrote a guide, cheers. But where do I buy it online?

I've heard now that the CGI scenes aren't re-rendered just upscaled and stretched to widescreen.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

You'd think if they were being lazy, they could just take the originals and transfer them verbatim to PS3. Idiots.

Yeah cause THAT'S how it works :rolleyes:

Retro how you know so much about SH2s development, like the low light levels etc? Are there articles around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Andy!! wrote: »

EDIT:Argh never mind saw you wrote a guide, cheers. But where do I buy it online?
    I newer knew we had silent hill games on pc!!! Are they hard to get by these days?

Unfortunately the only place youll get them legitimately is ebay, otherwise its pirating them as your only option im afraid.

• Advertisement

Andy!! wrote: »
    Yeah cause THAT'S how it works :rolleyes:

Retro how you know so much about SH2s development, like the low light levels etc? Are there articles around?

Check out the Jeremy Blaustein interviews on HG101, there's loads there. There's also a good podcast up on youtube about the work he did on the localisation of Snatcher and giving out about Kojima and Yu Suzuki. He also mentions the work he did on Silent Hill 2 since he was heavily involved in how the narrative progressed.

Here it is, pretty much essential listening for anyone interested in games:

As for the low level light filters, just play the game and you'll see it. You can turn the filter on and off in the options to see the effect it gives. It's just an alpha post processing effect put over the camera but it's very effective and has been used in loads of games since. It just adds some subtle grainy noise to the image that simulates how your eyes react to low light levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Oh Jesus it is! I must have blocked this out when I was a young fella. I remember him just stuffing it down a sink. What a disturbing vid. The 2nd top comment is brilliant :D

yeahah that's the stuff.. that's the sort of warped shìt I fell in love with , nevermind the nurses I remember shuddering in awe / shivering with delight that this sort of thing was in a video game. I thought here we go, forecasting a slew of mature depravity but it's obviously still to edgy for the games industry.

SH1 port is a mess too, But that never asked nor claimed to be HD

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LH Pathe wrote: »
    yeahah that's the stuff.. that's the sort of warped shìt I fell in love with , nevermind the nurses I remember shuddering in awe / shivering with delight that this sort of thing was in a video game. I thought here we go, forecasting a slew of mature depravity but it's obviously still to edgy for the games industry.

SH1 port is a mess too, But that never asked nor claimed to be HD
    How can the Silent Hill port be a mess, too?

It's a PS1 game, the PS3 runs those natively!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I've sort of learned to stay away from these after buying RE Code X Veronica HD for my Xbox. Came to a point where I got stuck in the game cause of an invisible wall. Wrote to Capcom. They didn't seem to care one bit.

Most of these old good games ports are crappy and buggy. They don't deserve the HD title either. Graphics just seem to be stretched and smoothed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    How can the Silent Hill port be a mess, too?

It's a PS1 game, the PS3 runs those natively!

The remake. (PS2/Wii/PSP)

noodler wrote: »
    The remake. (PS2/Wii/PSP)

was there a SH1 remake?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

was there a SH1 remake?

Re-imagining if you like!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill:_Shattered_Memories

noodler wrote: »

I heard its not bad, but is it avelable on psn? I would love to get it for ps vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I heard its not bad, but is it avelable on psn? I would love to get it for ps vita.

I played it on the PSP, its actually very awesome.
    No combat though, if that bothers you.

One of the few PSP games I've finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'll be giving it a go.

Its been a while since I've played two (probably close to launch time), and I may have avoided enough negative links to get a playthrough without fixating on the faults.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and my tv is ****e anyway...

Advertisement