Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill HD Collection is a disgrace

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    How can the Silent Hill port be a mess, too?

It's a PS1 game, the PS3 runs those natively!

the original release didn't show up the x's that made up what's being displayed on screen nor did it jitter like that. Native, more like distant cousin. Introduce yourselves, gawd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

efla wrote: »
    I'll be giving it a go.

Its been a while since I've played two (probably close to launch time), and I may have avoided enough negative links to get a playthrough without fixating on the faults.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and my tv is ****e anyway...

It's the graphics that are messed up the most though, not the resolution. Your TV won't make a difference even if it is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

There is a lad on amazon claiming the eu ps3 version is glitch free. Anyone try it here yet that can confirm this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eu-ps3-version-glitch-free/forum/Fx1RBOFXCG3DYUP/Tx1Z3JAFQ75D2WN/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0058H230U

I ordered this online weeks ago from gamestop as I saw some early reviews gave it 9/10. Didn't know about any of the problems until I saw this thread the other day. I'll have it today or Monday, fingers crossed it's at least f*cking playable, some of the youtube vids I've seen with lag are ridiculous.

The producer confirmed that the Pyrimad Head rape scene is still in there, but the game is so laggy, the cutscene doesn't kick in on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

blaa85 wrote: »
    There is a lad on amazon claiming the eu ps3 version is glitch free. Anyone try it here yet that can confirm this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eu-ps3-version-glitch-free/forum/Fx1RBOFXCG3DYUP/Tx1Z3JAFQ75D2WN/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0058H230U

I ordered this online weeks ago from gamestop as I saw some early reviews gave it 9/10. Didn't know about any of the problems until I saw this thread the other day. I'll have it today or Monday, fingers crossed it's at least f*cking playable, some of the youtube vids I've seen with lag are ridiculous.

The producer confirmed that the Pyrimad Head rape scene is still in there, but the game is so laggy, the cutscene doesn't kick in on time.

Well, I think the major criticisms aren't actually glitches (i.e. the Fog and voice acting) so the guy in the review on Amazon could be correct in saying that there are no "glitches" but just be wary that he may not consider being able to see unfinished ocean as a glitch!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That ocean texture is the original texture. It's all the subtle alpha effects that were layered over it that gave it a much better effect that were removed from the collection. Still it's a PoS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That ocean texture is the original texture. It's all the subtle alpha effects that were layered over it that gave it a much better effect that were removed from the collection. Still it's a PoS.

And what did I say?

Anyway, the guy may not consider the lack of fog blocking the unfinished sea to be a glitch.

Not that I want to, but I can live with the fog issue. Its the lag/framerate/audio I'm worried about. If its not decent, I'll be getting a refund. Doesn't look like it'll be arriving today anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    And what did I say?

Anyway, the guy may not consider the lack of fog blocking the unfinished sea to be a glitch.

Textures and alpha effects are different things. It also goes to show that they didn't even bother to touch up any textures.
    Not that I want to, but I can live with the fog issue. Its the lag/framerate/audio I'm worried about. If its not decent, I'll be getting a refund. Doesn't look like it'll be arriving today anyway.

The fog issue seems a big deal to me. The lack of fog means that you can clearly see the pop in horizon in the cutscenes and as you more around, it looks atrocious. Also the self shadowing is gone. Both effects go a long way to creating atmosphere. On a high def TV the game is going to look absolutely appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Glad I stumbled upon this thread was just about to pull the trigger on this.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

What I don't get is how essentially the same company can make the MGS HD collection to such a high standard and have it ported to the 360, PS3 and now the Vita without any issues and then come out with this crap.

I know it's not the same production team but still Konami should be looking for a set standard across the board with whatever they put their names too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Silent Hill will be free on PS+ in April for anyone who's interested.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Did anyone take the plunge on this or on Downpour? Any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Did anyone take the plunge on this or on Downpour? Any good?

Yeah I got it by accident, cancelled my amazon order last monday and it still arrived on friday while i was in town..... where I nearly bought it ..... so could have ended up with 2 copies.

Only just entered the apartments, so far so can't comment much over all.

Actually I will give my 2 cent worth .........

This thread is a massive over reaction , not wrong in it's criticism, no not at all but it is not as bad as people are being led to belive.

1: The Fog: It's thinner ok, I'm playing on a 32" HD tv and it's really not as bad looking as some might have thought, as you move there is a dome of sorts where there is no fog but in no way does it take away from the game on the level that I'm noticing it and its taking away from game play.

Have zero frame rate issues or screen tearing here.

2: Pyramid Head raping mannequins scene cut ?????

I just got to that part, there was a video of the original posted earlier on the 1st page here from the original and I can confirm that what I saw in game is 100% the same as what was in that video.

3: The cut scenes: These do look bad no other way to put it. But again dont really take away from the game, haven't noticed any lipsync issues yet but it's early days.

4: The new voice actors: Who in their right mind would pick new over old ???? :confused:

The game as aged badly overall though, had to go in and set the controls to 2d as the 3d was a bit to old school for me where left and right turns you on the spot and up makes you walk forward ala resident evil.

Worth 35 quid no but if sold for a 10er each like the original is being sold on psn and if they took off the HD tag then I would say, whats the issue here?

People are comparing these to the Metal Gear HD games, but I will say this,those had far more content to begin with like substance versions etc. and also they where far better looking games to being with too !!!!!! I'm not defending Silent Hill to the extent where I will say run out and buy it but comparing it to metal gear is not like for like..... but it is not as bad as is being made out.

I will agree though for it to be labelled HD is pushing it.

.... Xbox 360 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Silent Hill will be free on PS+ in April for anyone who's interested.

Is it available in the Europe store? I downloaded it off the US store last year or something, the version that had the original baby-monsters from the demo that came with Metal Gear as opposed to the edited ewok-things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

whats the pricing of this in stores?

anybody let us know where youve seen it cheapest?

xtravision? gamestop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

biggebruv wrote: »
    whats the pricing of this in stores?

anybody let us know where youve seen it cheapest?

xtravision? gamestop?

It's €34.99 in GameStop, didn't see it anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

If Konami patch the collection up and make it better i'll get it.

I got Silent Hill 2 when it was released, beat it and haven't played it since. Great game, epic.
    That part where the main character is walking down the alleyway and his wife's voice is echoing to him, that part is nice.

It's €34.99 in GameStop, didn't see it anywhere else.

Heard from a pal who works for one of the bigger xtravision shops that they only got 2 copies in, 1 each for ps3 and xbox and he in turn told me that his pal in gamestop got 2 of each format, how true that is as its 3rd hand info I can't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Went looking for it today, couldn't get it - tried Smyths and Gamestop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It will be on the EU store AFAIK.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

efla wrote: »
    Went looking for it today, couldn't get it - tried Smyths and Gamestop.

Our local Tesco's had it in stock yesterday.. Might be worth checking yours.

Got it today, started Silent Hill 2, game seems fine after hour. There is fog effects in the game that disguise that 'wall of fog', but is still very noticible when the road is a darker colour. I'm using the original voices. No lag/framerate/ audio issues. Was surprised how nice it looked on a 40" after hearing how sh!te this game was meant to be. Thought I'd be getting a refund, but I'm actually delighted with it so far.

Heres hoping SH3 is fine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Got it today, started Silent Hill 2, game seems fine after hour. There is fog effects in the game that disguise that 'wall of fog', but is still very noticible when the road is a darker colour. I'm using the original voices. No lag/framerate/ audio issues. Was surprised how nice it looked on a 40" after hearing how sh!te this game was meant to be. Thought I'd be getting a refund, but I'm actually delighted with it so far.

Is that on PS3 or XBOX 360 mate?

PS3. 2 hours in and it's still all good

Looking at some of the pics online, the main difference is in terrain textures. You'd nearly need the two side by side to notice anything.

That would still put me off buying it though. Even if the HD version is only a teeny, tiny bit worse looking, for me it's as good a reason as any to pick it up on PS2 where it's ten times cheaper. As it is, the HD update seems really pointless if it doesn't improve on the PS2.

edit: the horizon is also really murky looking in the 'HD' shot. Wonder what would cause that

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Looking at some of the pics online, the main difference is in terrain textures. You'd nearly need the two side by side to notice anything.

That would still put me off buying it though. Even if the HD version is only a teeny, tiny bit worse looking, for me it's as good a reason as any to pick it up on PS2 where it's ten times cheaper. As it is, the HD update seems really pointless if it doesn't improve on the PS2.

edit: the horizon is also really murky looking in the 'HD' shot. Wonder what would cause that

The screenshots make the game look worse than it actually is, because you are looking at them side by side when in fact when you are playing it you see those things for fractions of seconds. As I said in my post earlier it's the cut scenes that look the worst but even then they don't last that long before switching to "game" view, so far fro me nothing to take away from the game on the levels I expected reading this thread.

As I also said the games had aged badly , and I stick by that. The clunkyness is still there, and the awful camera trying to reposition itself when you hold LT , I just wish I could full 360 rotate it with the right stick .... but that is how I have come to be conditioned by modern games, at the time when this was originally released I would never have noticed it.

I've started playing it for the first time on PS2. The clunkiness doesn't bother me as such. I reckon it's the way it should be. The only thing that bothers me is how crappy James is at pivoting to face an enemy when he's swinging that stick around the place. Lost count of the amount of times a nurse has shanked me in the balls with the way James swings at thin air all the time. But the struggle involved in melee combat makes every encounter interesting, I think. There's no room for complacency. You can't just shoot them in the knees and slice them with a knife.

Visually, I think it looks great. It looks nice and murky on my old CRT. Hides the otherwise ugly textures and stiff animations. I also really really like the 'auto-load' feature. Why don't more game have that?

Also, the sound design is the best I've heard in any game ever. Better than Dead Space even.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm still going to pick this up. The only worrying thing is that my PS3 game collection is currently Metal Gear HD Collection, Splinter Cell Trilogy, Prince of Persia Trilogy, Shadow of the Colossus/Ico and God of War Collections I and II. Very little current gen stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm still going to pick this up. The only worrying thing is that my PS3 game collection is currently Metal Gear HD Collection, Splinter Cell Trilogy, Prince of Persia Trilogy, Shadow of the Colossus/Ico and God of War Collections I and II. Very little current gen stuff!

That's not automatically a bad thing. The games listed are classics, nothing wrong with enjoying them today :)

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »

Apart from Mass Effect 3, I've only bought Metal Gear, Splinter Cell and Ico collection since December. Way better than most current gen stuff. I pray every night that they throw the Legacy of Kain series together on a disc.

Advertisement