Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill HD Collection is a disgrace

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Tbh, I think we're entering something of a dark age as far as creativity in games is concerned. Indie games being a notable exception

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The bad controls are apparently a design decision. It's not a great compromise but as can be seen in games like Dead Space and Resident Evil 2 once you are given more control of your character the less scary it becomes. The crappy controls make you fear the next encounter with a new enemy or and give you the sensation of panic.

Again not ideal but much more preferable to bouncing around the scream like bayonetta or popping everything off with headshots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The bad controls are apparently a design decision. It's not a great compromise but as can be seen in games like Dead Space and Resident Evil 2 once you are given more control of your character the less scary it becomes. The crappy controls make you fear the next encounter with a new enemy or and give you the sensation of panic.

Again not ideal but much more preferable to bouncing around the scream like bayonetta or popping everything off with headshots.

That's a fair point, I'm playing on hard combat setting and and even the basic walker things you meet at the start you either avoid or pray your stick with a nail in it hits before they spew acid on you :D I does actually add to it!!!

No way I could play using the 3D control / default system though.

I came across a massive frame rate issue though in the hospital after
    Laura locks you in the room with the boss
    afterwards the cut scene just crawls, but an achievement also unlocked at that point which I think caused the slowdown becasue when I reloaded it played out fine, I've seen that happen in many games when achievements pop but this was a hell of a lot worse.

Disable notifications maybe? You're playing a single player game so it's not like you need to know who's online, surely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I take it you mean resi 4?

There was a sense of panic in SH when attempting to hit something with that bloody pipe or handgun and missing. In a way it does emulate a real life situation as let's be honest if you were actually in that position yourself you would absolutely sh1t the bag and be unable to do the simplest of things let alone hit a crazy set of squirming mannequin legs trying to impale you with a heap of sh1t rusty pipe!!! :pac:

I'm still contemplating picking this up as I have no other way to replay SH2 and I really got myself built up to revisit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

blaa85 wrote: »
    Apart from Mass Effect 3, I've only bought Metal Gear, Splinter Cell and Ico collection since December. Way better than most current gen stuff. I pray every night that they throw the Legacy of Kain series together on a disc.

I have them both Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver from PSN, plus the PS2 copies of Soul Reaver 2 and Legacy of Kain: Defiance here with me! Need PS2 support on the PS3 or I'd even pay for digital copies.

Blood Omen 2 never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

chrislad wrote: »
    I have them both Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver from PSN, plus the PS2 copies of Soul Reaver 2 and Legacy of Kain: Defiance here with me! Need PS2 support on the PS3 or I'd even pay for digital copies.

Blood Omen 2 never happened.

Hmm, since they have the first 2 on psn, theres a good chance the other 3 may become available on the store at some stage, now that they are releasing ps2 games.
    Big Knox wrote: »
    I'm still contemplating picking this up as I have no other way to replay SH2 and I really got myself built up to revisit it.

I'd say give it a few weeks. With all the negativity surrounding SH collection, I'm sure it'll drop in price soon enough.
    Mindkiller wrote: »
    Tbh, I think we're entering something of a dark age as far as creativity in games is concerned. Indie games being a notable exception

I agree. Looking at my game shelf, I'd say Shadows of the Damned is the only original game that I forked over €50 for on a day one purchase last year, and Alan Wake the year before that. Great games but they bombed at retail and ya can probably pick em up for €10 each now.

Sorry for going off topic, but what's the deal with those PS2 games on PSN anyway? How are they any different from the discs we all have? Why can't I just stick in God Hand myself instead of downloading it? Are they ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Disable notifications maybe? You're playing a single player game so it's not like you need to know who's online, surely

True but I need to know when achievements happen those who know me in these parts know how much I love achievements :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

fcuking hell this threads bn busy. Nobody playing the current gen SH that simultaneously released? You'd think this was the new one I have good memories of these games so don't wanna revisit will just seem so dated... technically. Storywise downpour seems like the dated one but for those who have not been; enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

biggebruv wrote: »
    whats the pricing of this in stores?

anybody let us know where youve seen it cheapest?

xtravision? gamestop?

Just spotted it for €29.99 in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Playing through Shattered Memories at the moment and really enjoying it. Have Origins lined up next, then Homecoming. Will take the plunge on the new ones in a few weeks once the price has come down.

Releasing SH-HD and Downpour at the same time seems like a really dumb f*cking idea in retrospect. It just seems like one has overshadowed the other. Maybe it's a good thing the Vita game got delayed.

I beat SH2 the other day. Pretty cool, but the ending left me cold. I'm not a fan of multiple type endings in the first place. They just seem to dilute the impact of each one when you know you can just pick whichever one pleases you the most. I also hated the extremely obscure puzzles. I didn't mind the difficult ones that made you think in riddles, just the ones where you had to go on stupid pixel hunts for a wooden spoon or something inane like that so you can sellotape it on the back of something else to open something. It's not like there's a logical explanation for where to find most of the objects or anything. You really just have to press X on the perimeter of every new area you enter, or just cheat with a walkthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Playing through Shattered Memories at the moment and really enjoying it. Have Origins lined up next, then Homecoming. Will take the plunge on the new ones in a few weeks once the price has come down.

I only played Origins last week and enjoyed it alot great locations and short and sweet
    Cool twist on the otherworld section aswell.

Agree with above that releaseing HD+DOWNPOUR together was a bad choice I would have loved to play 2+3 in the run up to downpour not after when excitment for the new one has died down alot ah well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry will be putting out an article about how bad the HD ports are at the weekend, should be a good read as always.

This is one of the worst pics I've seen

gsZtn.jpg

Just can't work out how that was even necessary :confused:

This is one of the worst pics I've seen

gsZtn.jpg

Just can't work out how that was even necessary :confused:

Ok I gotta step in and say the PS3 screenshot there is bullsh1t iv just started playing SH3 and the game is exactly the same as the PS2 shot just HDed up

The blinds are there and the tissue wraper or whatever is it is there too those pics must be fakes being trown around the net by angry SH nerds or something SHs internet fanbase are a strange bunch LOL
    Refuseing to move on from the "team silent" days

Also I turned the brightness down to level 1 in the game options and its looking the best iv ever seen it

http://www.use.com/showorig.pl?set=3ba426095f9d33c847c1&p=1

Just took this snap on my iphone from the screen sorry bout quality but the blinds are there

My bad. The PS2 version has those tissues as well, so I'm guessing it must be the PC version on low or something. Although it doesn't make much sense that the blinds wouldn't be there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry will be putting out an article about how bad the HD ports are at the weekend, should be a good read as always.

it's up now, pretty damning

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-went-wrong-with-silent-hill-hd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I'm guessing it must be the PC version on low or something

Nope, I've had the PC version since release and its probably the best looking of any of them.

Meh I personally happy with the playthrough of SH2 im having so far And I love these games they are the same to me cant spot anything glarringly obvious missing.

I dont know why there complaining about FMV videos being streched aswell it smacks of desperation theres noting the studio could have done about the FMVs being made in 4:3 only back in 2000 so better to strech IMO its hardly noticeable and they only last like 1 mintue max most of em jesus just stop complaining and get into the game and youll forget all about these supposed big issues.

If its too bright for you turn the brightness level in the game options to 1 its what I did and it really does make a big difference

Id love to know were the pic came from because its certainly not the PS3 verison

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

Would it be possible for the fog to be patched to make it more ike the ps2 version? Like I know it probably wouldn't happen, but does technology allow that?

I dont know why there complaining about FMV videos being streched aswell it smacks of desperation theres noting the studio could have done about the FMVs being made in 4:3 only back in 2000 so better to strech IMO its hardly noticeable and they only last like 1 mintue max most of em jesus just stop complaining and get into the game and youll forget all about these supposed big issues.

Couldn't they have just left them in 4:3? Would look much better imo. Hell even cropping (shudder) is better than stretching.

I'm worried now what the FMVs in FFX would be like. They still look incredible, but I doubt they would look so great all fat and squished.

Couldn't they have just left them in 4:3? Would look much better imo. Hell even cropping (shudder) is better than stretching.

I'm worried now what the FMVs in FFX would be like. They still look incredible, but I doubt they would look so great all fat and squished.

Well yea but I guess your never gonna please everybody people want the full screen filled and people prefer the natives IMO im indifferent to it there 10year old FMVs that last 1min max for all of them.

Once your into the silent hill experiance and playing and NOT set out from the get go to look for errors your fine IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well yea but I guess your never gonna please everybody people want the full screen filled and people prefer the natives IMO im indifferent to it there 10year old FMVs that last 1min max for all of them.

Once your into the silent hill experiance and playing and NOT set out from the get go to look for errors your fine IMO
    Would you learn punctuation, please.

Jesus christ.

It's a decent piece but funnily enough the comparison videos have now made up my mind to pick it up. Being honest they look fine, nowhere near as bad as they were being made out to be. The FMV stretching I can live with, although I would like to see a patch that limits that FPS to 30 on the PS3. Surely that's the least they can do as it would be very easy to implement.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Would you learn punctuation, please.

Jesus christ.

It's not that bad, give it a rest ffs. He's contributing his own experience to the thread which is appreciated. You are contributing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Big Knox wrote: »
    It's not that bad, give it a rest ffs. He's contributing his own experience to the thread which is appreciated. You are contributing nothing.

It really is.

Advertisement