Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill HD Collection is a disgrace

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hamhide

I havnt played the HD collection yet and I dont intend to.I bought every SH game since SH1 and I think I'll stick with the classics.I didnt buy shatterd memories because its impossible to get it on the ps2 and i dont have a wii and i dont really see it as a SH game either.Downpour was pritty good but still needs a big improvement.imo if team silent isnt comming back to make another then we're just going to get more 'fan made games'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

It really is.

To be fair, it's still very readable and doesn't really matter, they're still making a point based on their first hand experience. Grammar and punctuation are besides the point. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Big Knox wrote: »
    It's not that bad, give it a rest ffs. He's contributing his own experience to the thread which is appreciated. You are contributing nothing.
    biggebruv wrote:
    Meh I personally happy with the playthrough of SH2 im having so far And I love these games they are the same to me cant spot anything glarringly obvious missing.

I dont know why there complaining about FMV videos being streched aswell it smacks of desperation theres noting the studio could have done about the FMVs being made in 4:3 only back in 2000 so better to strech IMO its hardly noticeable and they only last like 1 mintue max most of em jesus just stop complaining and get into the game and youll forget all about these supposed big issues.

If its too bright for you turn the brightness level in the game options to 1 its what I did and it really does make a big difference
    ^-- No, that's pretty bad.
    It makes him look like a raving lunatic fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

^That's a bit of an exaggeration. Everyone has a right to contribute their opinion, even fanboys, just because they don't articulate themselves perfectly is no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I'd rather see more fuss being made about Downpour TBH as that has obvious freezeups during some parts throughout the whole game which for a brand new title is not on.
    Downpour is one of the best SHs IMO so I do hope Konami can release a Patch for that one instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

As I said earlier the HD remakes have issues, but I really don't get the pitch forks and torches attitude here and on the review sites, especially the review sites. Some of if not all of the pictures come nowhere near accurately representing the games, I don't know where they pulled them from.

Could be that as stills they look far worse then what you would see for a fraction of a second in game. Again as I said earlier I have seen or experienced nothing on the magnitude of having it take away from my experiences of the game.

To clarify I wouldn't consider myself a massive fan of the series, I loved the 1st game but everything after that was so so for me, so I have no fanboy vested interest in wrapping the games in kevlar vests to bulletproof them from criticism.

Yes they are not perfect but the massive backlash against them seems to have taken on legs to super exaggerated levels. I just don't get the level of hate levelled against them though maybe I had little or no expectations coming to them but that said I'd played the MGS ones just before these and we know how good they were and yet I could still accept these for what they are :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Just finished SH2 there. Worth the 30 bucks alone. Missing partial fog that only affects a part of the game and lip-synching aside, I wouldn't have noticed anything without these comparison images flying about the net.

Obviously, if you have the pc version or able to play ps2 version then go with that. The games fine, especially for the eu ps3 version that doesn't have framerate or lag issues. Ive seen videos of James stop/starting when running that didn't affect my version. That Pyrimad head rape scene was in there in full in my playthrough. And that weird metallic breathing noise isn't in there, although I only used the original voices.

I love survival horror, but I didn't think much of The Room or Homecoming, and SH2 was well worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

calex71 wrote: »
    As I said earlier the HD remakes have issues, but I really don't get the pitch forks and torches attitude here and on the review sites, especially the review sites. Some of if not all of the pictures come nowhere near accurately representing the games, I don't know where they pulled them from.

Could be that as stills they look far worse then what you would see for a fraction of a second in game. Again as I said earlier I have seen or experienced nothing on the magnitude of having it take away from my experiences of the game.

To clarify I wouldn't consider myself a massive fan of the series, I loved the 1st game but everything after that was so so for me, so I have no fanboy vested interest in wrapping the games in kevlar vests to bulletproof them from criticism.

Yes they are not perfect but the massive backlash against them seems to have taken on legs to super exaggerated levels. I just don't get the level of hate levelled against them though maybe I had little or no expectations coming to them but that said I'd played the MGS ones just before these and we know how good they were and yet I could still accept these for what they are :confused:
    blaa85 wrote: »
    Just finished SH2 there. Worth the 30 bucks alone. Missing partial fog that only affects a part of the game and lip-synching aside, I wouldn't have noticed anything without these comparison images flying about the net.

Obviously, if you have the pc version or able to play ps2 version then go with that. The games fine, especially for the eu ps3 version that doesn't have framerate or lag issues. Ive seen videos of James stop/starting when running that didn't affect my version. That Pyrimad head rape scene was in there in full in my playthrough. And that weird metallic breathing noise isn't in there, although I only used the original voices.

I love survival horror, but I didn't think much of The Room or Homecoming, and SH2 was well worth it for me.

I really think you guys are over-complicating this.

Everyone already knows they are good games (SH2 in particular) but they are asking us to pay another 30-40 euros for a game we have already played and rather than making a decent graphical update, or even accurately represent the original - they have actually made them worse.

They are offering worse games than the originals, 10 years later and for 30-40 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

calex71 wrote: »
    Yes they are not perfect but the massive backlash against them seems to have taken on legs to super exaggerated levels.

Maybe in the case of Silent Hill 3. Some of the uproar over that one has definitely been a bit obsessive. But isn't the main point of these updates that we're supposed to get improved versions of old games? In some cases, there seems to be little to no improvement. Sometimes they're even worse. Sometimes it seems like you might as well just stick with the PS2 titles. That's what seems to have gotten people most riled over this. It's like they're just a cheap cash grab. Let's be honest, the thing that matters the most with these updates aren't the games themselves, it's the cosmetic makeover they get.

I love my HD Sotc. But if it was the exact same as the PS2 version but with "no issues" then I'd consider it a big waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I'm not going to let these reviews throw me off from buying the HD collection, heard from many people the game runs just fine and the missing fog etc is very minimum and I think the fact that the game is in HD will make up for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Playing through now, the differences are miniscule. Can't understand the level of pedantry in these articles, as i rarely pay that much attention during play. As enjoyable and atmospheric as before, and has aged brilliantly - i had to stop for a tension break last night, something no other game has since achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

The HD tag to me anyways always ment just getting the games in widescreen and sharper picture. We are getting that in this collection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

biggebruv wrote: »
    The HD tag to me anyways always ment just getting the games in widescreen and sharper picture. We are getting that in this collection.

Not really. The game is upscaled and in high res but the overall visual quality is dramatically reduced. Looking at the eurogamer article and it's really desperate. It's a game that relies on atmosphere and the visual presentation and it's ruined by this collection. The shadowing is completely absent in SH2 or else looks awful when it is present in a few cutscenes. The game is now over bright and less oppressive because of the lack of the heavy fog effects. Also the low light level filter has been completely dropped giving the game a really sharp unnatural look, made even worse by the lack of anti-aliasing while the old game with the filter had a very grimy look and the filter helped cover up the lack of anti aliasing so it looked more natural.

Basically the artistic vision that the visuals were meant to portray and the atmosphere is completely ruined in this remake as far as I can see and for a game which is very visual focused it's a disgrace. It's much worse for SH2 than SH3 but even SH3 has issues. The Fog is gone but it's not as important to the visuals as in SH2 but there's inexplicable stuff like how the shadowing on the models manages to look much worse than in an old PS2 game.

People would be giving out if a Blu-ray release was handled so badly. Your paying good money for a product that is really sub par when you compare it to Sony's HD collections or even Konami's own MGS collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

efla wrote: »
    Playing through now, the differences are miniscule. Can't understand the level of pedantry in these articles

The articles are supposed to obsess over semantics. That's just the nature of HD update reviews. Their reviews about how well treated the upgrades are, not how good the games are. Like retrogamer said, it's the same as those reviews you see for new blu-ray releases, where an otherwise good movie might get a crap review if it's a really poor transfer. Like Predator.

The fact that the game may be only slightly worse is besides the point. It's still worse than the old games. If it can barely live up to PS2 standards then it's a fairly pointless 'HD' collection, unless you really hate 4:3.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not really. The game is upscaled and in high res but the overall visual quality is dramatically reduced. Looking at the eurogamer article and it's really desperate. It's a game that relies on atmosphere and the visual presentation and it's ruined by this collection. The shadowing is completely absent in SH2 or else looks awful when it is present in a few cutscenes. The game is now over bright and less oppressive because of the lack of the heavy fog effects. Also the low light level filter has been completely dropped giving the game a really sharp unnatural look, made even worse by the lack of anti-aliasing while the old game with the filter had a very grimy look and the filter helped cover up the lack of anti aliasing so it looked more natural.

Basically the artistic vision that the visuals were meant to portray and the atmosphere is completely ruined in this remake as far as I can see and for a game which is very visual focused it's a disgrace. It's much worse for SH2 than SH3 but even SH3 has issues. The Fog is gone but it's not as important to the visuals as in SH2 but there's inexplicable stuff like how the shadowing on the models manages to look much worse than in an old PS2 game.

People would be giving out if a Blu-ray release was handled so badly. Your paying good money for a product that is really sub par when you compare it to Sony's HD collections or even Konami's own MGS collection.

That is the most ludicrous statement on this thread so far, I'm sorry but to say that having not played it is just adding to the to the nonsense perpetuated here and else where, as i have said several times the visuals are no where near as bad as to ruin the experience or atmosphere of the game.

As for MSG I mentioned earlier too, comparing it with Silent Hill is apples and oranges, SH was never MSG pretty , not in a million years.

Again not saying SH isn't without flaws, but to say it's ruined because of the visuals is well OTT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How is it ludicrous? The game probably does play the same as before but I can see from the visuals that it's far too crisp and unnatural looking completely ruining the more natural and therefore immersive visuals of the original. I does have a negative effect on the game, I can't see how you could argue otherwise. You might think it's overblown criticism but to me it's a very disrespectful and terrible treatment of what could be considered the Citizen Kane of videogame with regards to Silent Hill 2 and it's narrative (a lot of which is told through the games use of visuals). If a blu-ray of Citizen Kane was threated with such disrespect you can be sure there would be just as big an uproar.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    How is it ludicrous? The game probably does play the same as before but I can see from the visuals that it's far too crisp and unnatural looking completely ruining the more natural and therefore immersive visuals of the original. I does have a negative effect on the game, I can't see how you could argue otherwise. You might think it's overblown criticism but to me it's a very disrespectful and terrible treatment of what could be considered the Citizen Kane of videogame with regards to Silent Hill 2 and it's narrative (a lot of which is told through the games use of visuals). If a blu-ray of Citizen Kane was threated with such disrespect you can be sure there would be just as big an uproar.

Like I said earlier I'm not the series biggest fan so I certainly wouldn't call it the Citizen Kane of games, it never was nor never will be.

It really does play the same, but really using terms like "disrespectful" and "terrible treatment" are overblown. If you are telling me that the narrative of this game hung on a few shadows and thicker fog than what we got with these games then you need to cling to that ps2 for dear life. Ok I can accept the "cheek to call it HD" point of view.

Overall it really doesn't lack to the levels of which you think it does as to take away from what it was originally. My experience of it having just got the rebirth ending is the same as what it was 10 years ago with less fog :confused:

They're a lost cause, retr0.

Just... relax, and enjoy MGS/Ico/SotC/Stranger's Wrath.
    With proper HD implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Lads, the game is fine, I played SH2 years ago, loved it, but didn't have the chance to play it again. If ya can play it otherwise, thats well for ya, I'm trying to advise people thinkin of gettin it and some of ye are just being a bunch of negatrive d!cks who haven't played it and are jumping on the bandwagon. It's grand, ya could do worse for 30 yoyoy's. Wait a few weeks, it'll probably be cheaper.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Stranger's Wrath.
    With proper HD implementation.

That's out now?

• Advertisement

Came out on PSN around Christmast 2011 :)

The Steam version *should* be getting the HD patch soon, too.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Wait, so, the PC version is only getting patched? Is it going to be exactly the same games as the one on PS3, just free for people who've already bought it?

I assume so, they never mentioned extra pricing on top of it.

However... it should be out already ("2-3 months after console release", to quote) and I've heard nary a peep.

Advertisement