Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Work placement in Forestry!

• 26-03-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am a Student in WIT Forestry, and will be looking for work placement starting next January 2013. I know its early days but just looking for ideas or any info from former students or people in the industry!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bookshelf

dryzi29 wrote: »
    I am a Student in WIT Forestry, and will be looking for work placement starting next January 2013. I know its early days but just looking for ideas or any info from former students or people in the industry!
    Thanks

I suppose Coillte is probably the most obvious one. I done some work experience with them about 2 years ago, mainly in timber measurement and doing a bit of work with a site manager. I don't know what part of the country you're looking for work in but they can be fairly ignorant about even taking on people for work experience. But just stay at them, it's worth it I think, I learned a hell of a lot with them and really enjoyed it. It's just a pity I cant get full time work with them, they never seem to be taking on anyone and i've been at them for years at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dryzi29

Thanks for the reply,
    Coilte was going to be one of the places i was going to look, but by the sounds of it, it could be tough. Is there any particular place that i should contact, or will I just send an e-mail and go from there? And Do they Pay?
    I don't really mind where i go, i wouldn't mind getting experience abroad, it might be more achievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bookshelf

Thanks for the reply,
    Coilte was going to be one of the places i was going to look, but by the sounds of it, it could be tough. Is there any particular place that i should contact, or will I just send an e-mail and go from there? And Do they Pay?
    I don't really mind where i go, i wouldn't mind getting experience abroad, it might be more achievable.

Sorry I meant to say it to you, Coillte might not even pay you they're as tight. How long is your work experience for? I just done 2 months with them from the Forestry course in Ballyhaise and I didn't get a cent.
    I'd probably go abroad if I were you (I had to stay because of the wife!). You could try the Forestry Commission in the UK, or even try NZ. Your options are endless

Haha, ya i'd say there a bunch of tight arses all right, i would need to be getting paid tho, i'm not getting enough of a grant to be able to survive. The placement has to be for 15 weeks, but i could work for a full 8 months which i would prefer!
    Thanks for the advise anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

im hoping to transfer into year 2 of that coarse next year em try sws forestry look up your local forester for them and give him a shout im currently working with them for my placement and im getting well payed witch is nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

Haha, ya i'd say there a bunch of tight arses all right

i hope for your sake a coillte forester doesnt see comments like this and then get a phonecall from a certain WIT student looking for placement who's been calling them tight arses on the internet. my advice would be to think about what your writing online before you look for placement anywhere:rolleyes:

fergus1001 wrote: »
    im hoping to transfer into year 2 of that coarse next year em try sws forestry look up your local forester for them and give him a shout im currently working with them for my placement and im getting well payed witch is nice

Thanks that sounds perfect, best of luck with trying to get into the course, if you get in you'll be in class with me! Year 2 is only one semester with half the year work experience. Are you in another collage or course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Thanks that sounds perfect, best of luck with trying to get into the course, if you get in you'll be in class with me! Year 2 is only one semester with half the year work experience. Are you in another collage or course?

im in ballyhaise in cavan doing a link coarse ill be in year 2 with you but i wont be going out on placement ill be doing the second semester of first year while you lot are out working and all that ha

Advertisement