Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Morrison - Marlay Park - August 25

Options
  • 26-03-2012 4:38pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Van Morrison has announced a headline show on August 25 in Dublin’s Marlay Park with fellow ‘60s – and very much beyond! – legend Tom Jones and soul great Bobby Womack who was last seen here as part of the Gorillaz collective. Tickets go on sale this Friday, price to be confirmed.

541940_10150702294249548_49009319547_9168605_1087208721_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

That is unbelievable. Tickets only €59 too. Was just about to post it myself. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea i was nearly expecting €80 or €90

Not sure how Van will carry outside. Depending on what kind of songs he does the sound could get very lost. At the O2 the last time there were times when he made the sound tiny, that stuff wouldn't work in Marley Park I don't think.

Just seen that in June he is doing a gig in London - 'Van Morrison Sings The Blues' That could work maybe, upbeat stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Will probably hit this gig up myself.

Didn't see Morrison at the O2 because tickets were so dear, but least for the price I could of seen him, I'll also get to say I've seen the legend that is Tom Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

S*** just found out tickets for Leonard Cohen go on sale the same morning, so it'll be one or the other for me.

Oh decisions, decisions, decisions.

It's gonna be a tough week of decisions. Van, Paul Simon and Lenny all on sale pretty much the same time. Gonna have to pick one. They are all so good for different reasons. I'd say anyone who would go to a single one of the 3 would want to go to them all. Very bad timing I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Does anyone know the capacity for this gig?

I missed out on (non rip-off) tickets for the o2 and definitely dont want to miss out this time but end of month bills, rent and Paul Simon tickets might mean I'll need to postpone my purchase. Crappy timing!

lc180 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the capacity for this gig?

I missed out on (non rip-off) tickets for the o2 and definitely dont want to miss out this time but end of month bills, rent and Paul Simon tickets might mean I'll need to postpone my purchase. Crappy timing!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Will there be any seating stands put up for this? Seems a bit odd having an all standing for a Van Morrison and especially Tom Jones. I would've thought this would've been more suited to Landsdown tbh.

For 60 quid I'll be going though. Have always wanted to see Van, and Tom Jones is a legend too and one of the best voices ever so that is a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

SB-08 wrote: »
    Will there be any seating stands put up for this? Seems a bit odd having an all standing for a Van Morrison and especially Tom Jones. I would've thought this would've been more suited to Landsdown tbh.

For 60 quid I'll be going though. Have always wanted to see Van, and Tom Jones is a legend too and one of the best voices ever so that is a bonus.

Seats should be banned for all gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

The Nal wrote: »
    Seats should be banned for all gigs

Well I rarely ever get seats at a gig, but it's considering the age of the majority of Van Morrison and Tom Jones fans, it doesn't seem logical not to have seating. I don't know ho they are going to sell 30,000 standing tickets for this gig. Had it been in the Aviva then I am sure they would've easily sold that amount but I am sure there were a huge amount of people ringing up ticketmaster to get tickets this morning who didn't bother when they found out there are no seats.

SB-08 wrote: »
    Well I rarely ever get seats at a gig, but it's considering the age of the majority of Van Morrison and Tom Jones fans, it doesn't seem logical not to have seating. I don't know ho they are going to sell 30,000 standing tickets for this gig. Had it been in the Aviva then I am sure they would've easily sold that amount but I am sure there were a huge amount of people ringing up ticketmaster to get tickets this morning who didn't bother when they found out there are no seats.

Doesn't matter what age you are. Everybody at every gig everywhere in the world ever should be as close as possible, pissing into bottles, moshing and flashing devils signs at the singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Wrong, capacity for the Marlay park gigs this year are 22,000 per event. There will be up to 9 gigs possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

From MCD facebook:

Irish blues legend Don Baker is to join Van Morrison and Tom Jones at Marlay Park - as Bobby Womack forced to withdraw due to illness

Regarded as the greatest harmonica player in the world by Bono, Don Baker has been added to the Van Morrison / Tom Jones concert at Marlay Park on 25 August following the withdrawal of Bobby Womack, due to illness.

In addition to Don Baker joining the line-up, promoters are offering a ten euro voucher to all existing ticket purchasers. This voucher can be redeemed against any food or beverage purchases at any of the concession stands at the concert.

There will be a ten euro reduction on the concert ticket price from today bringing the cost to €49.50 including booking fee.

Bobby Womack states, “I send my deepest apologies to my loyal fans around the world, and would like to thank them for their unwavering love, support and well wishes during my stay here at the hospital. Once rescheduled, I’m looking forward to seeing all of you on my upcoming world tour in the fall of 2012, in support of my new album, The Bravest Man In The Universe..”

MCD wish Bobby Womack a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him perform in Ireland soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Hell of a difference between Don Baker and Bobby Womack .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

win2one wrote: »
    Hell of a difference between Don Baker and Bobby Womack .

Big time.

Also, given the price and quality of catering at these events, there is quite a difference between a ten euro voucher redeemable "against any food or beverage purchases" and an actual ten euro reduction in ticket price. One being worth (charitably) about half as much as the other in actual monetary terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

How do we get the vouchers? On the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Frank11

I was wondering about bring my 2.5 year old son to this. I have seen young children in Marley park before but i'm unsure if i need a ticket for him or if the buggy will be allowed.
    I got an email the other day stating the fold up seats are allowed.
    I got the email about Don and getting a refund but it said nothing about a €10 voucher. Where did this come from??

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Frank11 wrote: »
    I was wondering about bring my 2.5 year old son to this. I have seen young children in Marley park before but i'm unsure if i need a ticket for him or if the buggy will be allowed.
    I got an email the other day stating the fold up seats are allowed.

Of course you'd need a ticket for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

got an email to say you will be given the €10 voucher on entry to the park

Sinead O'Connor will join the Irish blues legend Don Baker, who was added to the bill on Friday, in place of Bobby Womack, who is unable to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

tregan wrote: »
    got an email to say you will be given the €10 voucher on entry to the park

Sounds like a logistical nightmare. How on earth will the control thousands of vouchers being given to large numbers of stewards at the point of entry? Why would they not have emailed vouchers instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sounds like a logistical nightmare. How on earth will the control thousands of vouchers being given to large numbers of stewards at the point of entry? Why would they not have emailed vouchers instead?

I imagine they'll just hand them out at the gates as people enter. I don't see how it'll be a nightmare at all.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I imagine they'll just hand them out at the gates as people enter. I don't see how it'll be a nightmare at all.

Let's say you give 100 vouchers to the entry steward - a part-time contractor with minimal training. You've just put €1,000 into the hand of this person. How do you ensure that the €1,000 ends up in the correct hands? How do you make sure half of them don't end up with his mates?. How do you avoid delays at peak times?

Let's say you give 100 vouchers to the entry steward - a part-time contractor with minimal training. You've just put €1,000 into the hand of this person. How do you ensure that the €1,000 ends up in the correct hands? How do you make sure half of them don't end up with his mates?. How do you avoid delays at peak times?

They can keep checking up on the stewards , checking how many people have come through his gate (via the scanner i presume) to make sure they all add up .
    It might not even be a steward it could be the Interns that MCD take on every year during the summer doing it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's like asking - how do they stop people working at the gates from just letting all their mates in? They work for the company, it's not worth their while to give all the vouchers to their mates because they'd get fired.

Also the vouchers will only be valid for that concert so it's going to be mighty suspcious if someone arrives up with 10 vouchers and orders lots of stuff.

I don't see how there'd be any real delays. People have to stop to have their tickets scanned, they walk in, the next person hands them a voucher.

I think you're just looking for problems where there are none.

Sinead o Connor added to the bill! Superb. Her knew album is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Don Baker + Sinead + a voucher does not equal Bobby Womack no matter what way you do the maths .

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's like asking - how do they stop people working at the gates from just letting all their mates in? They work for the company, it's not worth their while to give all the vouchers to their mates because they'd get fired.

Also the vouchers will only be valid for that concert so it's going to be mighty suspcious if someone arrives up with 10 vouchers and orders lots of stuff.

I don't see how there'd be any real delays. People have to stop to have their tickets scanned, they walk in, the next person hands them a voucher.

I think you're just looking for problems where there are none.

Don't forget that they are all temporary, casual staff. It's not like they are full-time employees. Having two people involved (one scanning, one giving vouchers) will be a problem too. At peak time, people come streaming through the entrances, half-pissed, pushing and shoving, in gangs etc etc.

It just seems very messy, compared to the option of a simple mail-merge done offline before the gig. Much easier.

Advertisement