Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Morrison - Marlay Park - August 25

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

win2one wrote: »
    This just gets more ludicrous who's next to cancel Van or Tom..... ?:confused:

Well Bobby was sick and Sinead is a fool so I wouldn't worry, haha
    What time would we want to be there to get up to the front do you know?

I can see this being really relaxed so I'm guessing when the gates open will be fine to get a barrier spot :) Although I'm only assuming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

CiaranK wrote: »
    Well Bobby was sick and Sinead is a fool so I wouldn't worry, haha

I can see this being really relaxed so I'm guessing when the gates open will be fine to get a barrier spot :) Although I'm only assuming

From what I heard about ticket sales,I dont think you will have much trouble getting near the front :D

raven136 wrote: »
    From what I heard about ticket sales,I dont think you will have much trouble getting near the front :D

Yeah it's gonna be a roomy one alright.

Reading reports from Noel Gallagher tonight. Sound cut off a few times, security like crazy, metal detectors, strip search areas, people stopped and searched on the street etc. Necessary for the DJ's tomorrow, not for Saturday. No mud so far too which is good :)

There was a pit tonight too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Yeah it's gonna be a roomy one alright.

Reading reports from Noel Gallagher tonight. Sound cut off a few times, security like crazy, metal detectors, strip search areas, people stopped and searched on the street etc. Necessary for the DJ's tomorrow, not for Saturday. No mud so far too which is good :)

There was a pit tonight too

Im going tomorrow night and from the reports it seems the security is a bit ott.

Strip search areas....wtf!

raven136 wrote: »
    Im going tomorrow night and from the reports it seems the security is a bit ott.

Strip search areas....wtf!

Although after the last disaster MCD will be under a lot of pressure for a smooth serious of gigs, I don't blame them for the security.

• Advertisement

Sinead has changed her mind again, from MCD today

''yeahhhh Sinead O Connor is all set to join Don Baker Band at Marlay Park tomorrow , with Van Morrison, Tom Jones,Gemma Hayes get to the gig early , surprises ahoy !''

I just hope that surprise doesn't come in the form of Brian Kennedy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Any idea if they will be fussy about bringing cameras in?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Any idea if they will be fussy about bringing cameras in?

Nah they're not going to be fussy. They say that but they can't really do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Any idea what the stage times are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yeah, when will everyone be going on does anyone know? Because I'm going so my Mam can see Van and I want to miss most of it. I also think she might stalk out if we get there and Sinead O'Connor is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Does anyone know the set times of each act tonight please? I know the gates open at 3:30pm but was thinking of heading in around 5pm. What time does each act play at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

livEwirE wrote: »
    Does anyone know the set times of each act tonight please? I know the gates open at 3:30pm but was thinking of heading in around 5pm. What time does each act play at?

Tom Jones is on at 7.30 and Van Morrison is on at 9. Gemma Hayes starts at 4.30 so say Dan Baker will be on about 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Is there actually going to be a unanounced suprise guest playing like MCD said there would?

Seems they had their hands full getting the already announced acts to turn up?
    Gemma Hayes was a late announcement, is she by any chance what MCD were refering to?

If your times are right Eabhabear, I can't see anyone playing inbetween gates opening at 3:30 and Gemma Hayes at 4:30
    MCD did say to get in early for a surprise guest!?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jakobgallagher

They just want people there early so they spend more money on overpriced food and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

win2one wrote: »
    According to this 1790

That article refers to The Unfortunate Rake been current in 1790,
    Not St James Infirmery Blues,

Yes SJIB is based on TUR, but the version Van plays came much later.
    They are two different songs really,

It's likely that Van was inspired by Louis Armstrong's 1928 version, Which is probably the most successfull version to date.

It's like saying when Bob Dylan does Restless Farewell he is actually doing The Parting Glass, a song which dates back to the 1600's,

Anyway I guess we can all agree that SJIB is a great song! :)

Was watching the 'House of Blues' Documentary on Tom Jones last night. He said he has played 200 gigs a year since 1965. That's 9'400 gigs. Thats some amount of shows for one man :O

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

"MCD had to give back 10 euro vouchers and everybody used them on the bar mcd closed the bar early. Load of ballocks"

Amazing night of music. Van is and always will be one of the very best. Great setlist, varied a good bit from the o2 in Feb.
    Lots of fast/lively numbers like I thought. Opening of Brown Eyed Girl/Baby Please Don't Go/Here Comes The Night was really special. What can I say Van's the Man.
    Tom Jones was great fun. Every song was a singalong. He still has 'The Voice'.
    Don Baker was good, Sinead only played 3 songs I think during his set, he said she'll do another later but she never did. I heard that the she was told by the people in charge 'I don't care whether you want to or not, you're playing this gig'. So she probably wasn't into being there. I enjoyed her singing the blues numbers.
    I got there half way through Gemma Hayes set and really enjoyed her too.

No Collaborations and no Special surprise guest, can't complain though, Van was pure magic as he always is. He seemed to be enjoying himself, didn't say a word but smiled a few times. Band were on fire as expected.

One of the worst crowds I've every seen though. Really surprised me actually. Don't get me wrong 90% were great but there are always them few who nearly ruin it. Much more than normal tonight I have to admit. Stupid shower of feckers who wouldn't shut up all night all around. During in the Garden it got to much and I told them where to go, Your man turned to me when Van was playing the harmonica at one point during the night and said ''This Van guy is alright, he hasn't a patch on Don Baker though, Don is the best musician in the world'', These are the kind of people i had to deal with. Pretty much assaulted by a drunken woman pushing her way around. She probably thought this 6 foot man isn't gonna touch me, it was only men she was hassling. I've long hair, she pulled that and punched me in the back twice cause I wouldn't move out of her way, like I could either, 3 rows from the front, nowhere to move two. Well I called security over, she got a fright and tried to run away. Ended up facedown in the mud, I was delighted, got what she deserved. Many more saps falling about and talking to themselves kind of took away from it a bit for me.

I should also point out the stupid wagons excuse for pushing up

'Van isn't playing live, there just playing a CD, I'm going right up there to tell him and I don't care that you say stop pushing cause I'm just gonna push you out of my way'

Some people just baffle me.

Typed out Van's Setlist

Brown Eyed Girl
    Baby, Please Don't Go
    Here Comes the Night
    How Can a Poor Boy?
    Talk Is Cheap
    Precious Time
    Days Like This
    Fever
    Moondance
    Have I Told You Lately That I Love You
    Jackie Wilson Said
    Enlightenment
    Haunts of Ancient Peace
    In the Garden
    Ballerina
    Whenever God Shines His Light
    Help Me
    Gloria

Edit to add one more thing, that mud was crazy, literally ankle deep at one point :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I should also point out the stupid wagons excuse for pushing up

'Van isn't playing live, there just playing a CD, I'm going right up there to tell him and I don't care that you say stop pushing cause I'm just gonna push you out of my way'

Some people just baffle me.

So she was essentially your typical person who never goes to gigs and has no clue how to behave at them?? you get a fair few of them at these kind of gigs, and it's worse than a 16 year old being drunk etc. because these people are old enough to know better ....... allegedly :D

I got a decent video

Baby Please Don't Go/Here Comes The Night

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Great setlist by Van. Would've loved to have been there for Days Like This alone. What was the attendance like? Anywhere near to being sold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

"MCD had to give back 10 euro vouchers and everybody used them on the bar mcd closed the bar early. Load of ballocks"
    So what was the story with the vouchers? I didn't see any by the time I arrived (about 8.30)???
    Amazing night of music. Van is and always will be one of the very best. Great setlist, varied a good bit from the o2 in Feb.
    Lots of fast/lively numbers like I thought. Opening of Brown Eyed Girl/Baby Please Don't Go/Here Comes The Night was really special. What can I say Van's the Man.
    He seemed to be enjoying himself, didn't say a word but smiled a few times.
    Funny how your expectations are different for Van than just about any other artist - a few smiles is considered a great night! Still, there is a certain no-bull**** honesty about his approach. None of the 'you're a great audience' nonsense - just gets on with the music, which was class.

I was more surprised by the camerawork for the big screen. Maybe the cameraman went awol or something, but it just seemed to be transfixed on Van in the one spot, with the poor drummer framed in the background. It didn't go on the rest of the band at all. Given Van's legendary grumpiness, it might have been a bit of a distraction if it focused on the band members from time to time.

Great music though - that's one off my bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What was security like? Same full body pat down and metal detectors as the other gigs?

What was security like? Same full body pat down and metal detectors as the other gigs?

There was literally no security at all there when I went in, and I doubt they upped it much later on. A few gardaí around the place but nothing much. I doubt they were expecting much to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

There was literally no security at all there when I went in, and I doubt they upped it much later on. A few gardaí around the place but nothing much. I doubt they were expecting much to be honest.

Sounds about right, the typical person attending a VM gig will not be the same as a David Guetta fan, why waste money

They did search an older mans back and took his apple. Didn't search me though.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Sounds about right, the typical person attending a VM gig will not be the same as a David Guetta fan, why waste money

There were old women coming up to me and my sister saying "You're hardly here to see Tom Jones are ye?!" and stuff. :cool: The ticket people were laughing at us :pac:

Great gig though, Tom Jones was unreal, got the crowd going and everything for Van Morrison. I thought it was a bit weird the stuff he was saying at the end though. About how we were to respect Van and stuff like that... MCD and Ticketmaster had said when we got the tickets, some duets or collaborations promised or something like that and nothing came out of it. I was a bit disappointed with him to be honest, I know I went in mainly for Tom Jones but also himself. I suppose it's just that after Tom Jones' attitude towards the audience and his band that it came as a bit of a shock that Van Morrison didn't really say anything... But the music was great all the same like, and I suppose that's all you go to concerts for, even if it's nice for the performer to interact with the crowd a small bit, that's the way he his I suppose. It can be annoying obviously sometimes when people spend most of the time talking. I thought Tom Jones should have finished the night off, but maybe most of the crowd were there for Van Morrison, I don't know...

It was a brilliant day though, Gemma Hayes was great and Sinead O'Connor (who I never had much time for before) was very good aswell with Don Baker.
    But Tom Jones was definitely the highlight for me. Unreal performance. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Glad to read about the good performance by Van I heard similar from some friends who were there.
    Though he gets a crap review in the Herald today and pictured in a white suit ! I see in the video above Van's in a pinstripe did he change suits or was the Herald at a different gig ?

Advertisement