Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can broadband provider 'push' channel settings?

• 26-03-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

(Sorry for unclear title!)

I can pick up about 7-8 Wifi networks in my apartment (most of them UPC) so I deliberately set my Wifi channel to be unique as all the UPC modems use the same channel by default.

But last week the network speed got VERY slow, and when I checked, suddenly 5 networks in the building (including mine) are all now on the same channel. That seems freakishly unlikely, in the space of a couple of weeks. Can/do UPC push out channel settings - or can they reset the device settings to defaults?

Obviously I need to change the channel again, but I must have changed the password and - yup! - can't remember what the new one is. I assume there's some option to reset to factory defaults with the UPC modems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

who_me wrote: »
    Can/do UPC push out channel settings - or can they reset the device settings to defaults?

Yes to the second half (default) of the question.
    Obviously I need to change the channel again, but I must have changed the password and - yup! - can't remember what the new one is. I assume there's some option to reset to factory defaults with the UPC modems?

You don't need a password, just leave the userid and password blank and click the OK button, then click the 'Setup' tab and go to Wireless/Basic to change the channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Thanks! I knew the default user/password was blank, but I had changed them and wasn't sure how to reset the router (a Cisco EPC2425) to the factory settings.

FYI (I'm sure it has been covered here before, but might be useful to someone) :

- Hold a pin in the "Reboot EMTA" for approx. 10 seconds. Initially I removed the pin when the lights went off, but when the device rebooted no settings had changed. The second time, I took the pin out as soon as the lights started flickering, and it reset correctly.

- Some browsers don't work well with router UIs, Safari notably. Better to use Firefox/Chrome etc.

- The blank user/pass was initially rejected, but worked on the 2nd attempt.And after entering a password, the username will still be blank, but with the password just entered.

- The Setup section can be accessed, but the Advanced section is still 'off limits'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Modern wireless devices have CSMA/CA collision avoidance built in, the wireless access points automatically detect the channel with least congestion and use this, Hence by you opting to use a unique channel, all the other wireless devices jumped on your channel as it was the least congested.

- The Setup section can be accessed, but the Advanced section is still 'off limits'.
    It used to be possible to unlock all of the tabs if you had a copy of the _aslvl.asp file from an old firmware revision of the 2203, but UPC changed something in the config file that doesn't allow them to be unlocked anymore.

Advertisement