Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical switch\relay over wifi

Options
  • 26-03-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi All, just wondering if there is an off the shelf system where by I can switch power on and off via wifi connection. any thought\comments are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you can buy an x10 kit. this will have a transmitter that you set up using a usb interface on your PC, with the PC on you can control it over wifi, or else you can download a set of timers to the transmitter, they set up a network over your power cables you plug them into the wall and then plug something into them, there are other switch options too like light switches, otherwise you can control the x10 devices with a web server, some intruder alarm panels have them, you might actually have it already then you can log into the webpage and control the devices

Also there is a switch unit that works of a sim card and text, i hear they are just over the 100euro mark from wood communication., with this you can text from out side the house or use an app like Cabbage on your smartphone over your wifi to send free texts to turn it on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ted1 wrote: »

Hi ted, have you used these? any issue with 110V over 220VAC?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've used them in the states, and over here wiht lower Voltages.

you could email them and they shoudl have euro version, or use the relay to trigger a 220Vac Relay.

Advertisement