Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Knock' in Vicon Wagtail

• 26-03-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

I bought a second hand vicon one tonne wagtail spreader a few weeks ago,

I had a disc spreader before this, So today I used the vicon for the first time, I spread gran lime today, I'm not happy with the way it spread, There seemed to come a knock every so often when spreading,

Is this normal for a wagtail to do this ?

when you move the sprout over and back (tractor turned off) there comes a knock in the movement over and back.

Is it possible that the bearings are gone in it ?

Hopefully someone can help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭limo_100

sounds like the bearings alrite. changed ours last year a cu*t of a job tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Sounds very like the bearings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We owned a couple of wagtails over the years. Nice smooth motion over and back and no rocking up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Thanks all :)

Great because I bought it Janurary and once I start to use it, it needs a trip to the garage straight away as luck would have it :D

Would any one have idea what it would cost to the get bearings replaced ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

josephsoap wrote: »

I had a disc spreader before this, So today I used the vicon for the first time, I spread gran lime today, I'm not happy with the way it spread, There seemed to come a knock every so often when spreading,

when you move the sprout over and back (tractor turned off) there comes a knock in the movement over and back.

check the bell housing in the front of the spreader if there is movement in the aluminium peice in the centre then you've been done costs a fair penny to fix it i think about 4/500 euro plus a day to put in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

josephsoap wrote: »

my wagtail spreader was making a knocking noise also, i feared the worst but it turned out it was the driveshaft, on the spreader side its bolted onto spreader, the little bolt had come loose and it was moving in and out and banging the plastic cover, its a kinda best case scenario i know but you might be lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

With the tractor stopped, put the pto in gear. You should be able to move the wagtail from side to side to see where the play is. I got parts for my old vicon recently at Vaughans in Tulla, Clare. I was amazed at how mamy parts they had for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

we have a cavallo wag tail, it rattles the sh*t out of its self, not really a knocking noise, was only ever used to discs so i was convinced it was broke but seemingly thats the way they run, especially if your reving it up trying to get the width

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

F.D wrote: »
    we have a cavallo wag tail, it rattles the sh*t out of its self, not really a knocking noise, was only ever used to discs so i was convinced it was broke but seemingly thats the way they run, especially if your reving it up trying to get the width

Mine seems to run smooth for maybe 4 seconds max then it knocks like mad especially when you rev it up to 540 rpm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

F.D wrote: »

Depends on how much of a rattle/knock.
    The Cavallo has the same "guts"as the Vicon.
    Our Cavallo was rattling for a while, which we ignored until it eventually broke the spout, then had to fix it.
    The aluminium "offset" drive unit with the bearing had to be replaced.
    Took a bit of "battering" to get the old one out.
    Nice and smooth now, but then again I'm probably comparing it with the way it was. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement