Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cryptic PTSB Statements

Options
  • 26-03-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi all

rather than que at the bank, i like to keep tabs on my account online, the thing that is driving me crazy however is that the info presented is'nt very clear at all, so I am thinking of changing banks, and would like your feedback

for example, often my account would state actual balance of XX.XX but available XX.XX (i.e actual 400.00, yet available 200.00)

the thing is, where the hell is my money tied up? it doesnt say at all. also, pending transactions from using the debit card, it shows the amount, but doesn't say where the transaction is pending from (what shop etc?)

so, what I am asking is, if you are using another bank, BoI or AIB, how good/clear is the online info, or is it just as bad for you too?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Available balance is money that has been cleared, so if you lodged a cheque for €200 into an account that already has €100 in it available balance will be €100 whereas actual balance is €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

buts thats just it, there isn't anything lodged by anyone else (this isn't the first time) and also, lets suppose money had been lodged, who lodged it, and when?

see what I'm getting at? zero info, so are the other banks any better if I were to change?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm with PTSB and find them quite good, no fees either. My statements always specify the retailer when money has been taken.

agreed, no fees is great to be sure, but I am talking about pending transactions, not settled transactions.

with pending transactions, there is zero info.

also I am specifically talking about online statements on open24 rather than post statement showing only passed and processed transactions

any one using another bank got any idea about how clear their banking info online is?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

zing zong wrote: »
    agreed, no fees is great to be sure, but I am talking about pending transactions, not settled transactions.

with pending transactions, there is zero info.

also I am specifically talking about online statements on open24 rather than post statement showing only passed and processed transactions

any one using another bank got any idea about how clear their banking info online is?

BOI - doesnt show pending retailer names either, think its a common thing with the banks, the retailer needs to claim the money first prior to it showing on our accounts thats why it takes a few days.
    Not sure about the unclear thing my full balance always shows.
    Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

so it seems all banks can't show where the pending transaction is from? thats a shame, and fairly stupid too.

but if your actual balance is different from your available balance, does BOI give any indication why, or are all our banks similarly useless giving info?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

Pretty stupid alright, usually mine show the following day though, e.g i used my laser this morning u should be able to see more info on my account tomorrow.
    Are you receiving lodgements from 3rd parties - if so ask them to quote their name on your account & you will be able to keep track.

My balance always just tells me what it is, it doesnt mention cleared/uncleared.
    Have you been transferring money between your other accounts or receiving lodgements that are not cash - if so they take a few days to clear. If not i would contact the local branch and suss it out with them.

The staff at my local branch are clueless truth be told, i've gone to other branches in the city to ask them, but they simply ask that you go to your local branch to ask, in short, stupid and useless.

ok then i guess ill have to just deal with this void of info on top of the rest of the banks short-comings, thanks for the replys guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Lazer/online transactions that were made but have yet to clear ??

See it on my ptsb account all the time and thats usually the reason.

Owryan wrote: »
    Lazer/online transactions that were made but have yet to clear ??

See it on my ptsb account all the time and thats usually the reason.

do you mean to explain the difference between actual and available balance? or pending transaction?

the trouble im having with pending transactions isn't the amount, but the info to tell me from what shop is the transaction pending, it says the amount alright, but not who is waiting on it to clear.

the actual/available balance thing is different, some say its lodgements to my account that haven't cleared, but Im not expecting any, and even if I were I would still like to know from whom, or at the least when it was lodged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

do you mean to explain the difference between actual and available balance? or pending transaction?

the trouble im having with pending transactions isn't the amount, but the info to tell me from what shop is the transaction pending, it says the amount alright, but not who is waiting on it to clear.

the actual/available balance thing is different, some say its lodgements to my account that haven't cleared, but Im not expecting any, and even if I were I would still like to know from whom, or at the least when it was lodged

I was talking about the diff between the actual and available amounts.

Regarding the amounts pending, i asked in the tsb carlow, why they didnt list who they were pending for and was told its just not !!!

They have started to say how many pending transactions there are when i log in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Telephone their internet banking helpdesk. They should be able to give more details on the pending debit transactions.

Owryan wrote: »
    I was talking about the diff between the actual and available amounts.

Regarding the amounts pending, i asked in the tsb carlow, why they didnt list who they were pending for and was told its just not !!!

They have started to say how many pending transactions there are when i log in

similar to the answer i got
    Telephone their internet banking helpdesk. They should be able to give more details on the pending debit transactions.

truth be told I didn't do that, but, I shouldn't have to,especially if it means I would have to do it every single time, thats really my main point, I would just like to see it clearly on my acount. "customer service/where the hell is my money" and all that :)

any AIB customers with the same issue?

Pending transactions have not yet been formally debited to your account. In some cases they can be reversed or drop off or whatever. That's the reason why you (the customer) can't see them on an online statement. The staff will have different privileges and will be able to tell you more about transactions / pending items etc. But this information is not volunteered - it's only available on request - and verbally at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Have 2000 in the bank, take out 200, now have 1800.

Go online, shows 2000, available 1800.

Why the confusion?

Call them for an explanation, or, wait a day or three 'til the details are updated online :D

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Pending transactions have not yet been formally debited to your account. In some cases they can be reversed or drop off or whatever. That's the reason why you (the customer) can't see them on an online statement. The staff will have different privileges and will be able to tell you more about transactions / pending items etc. But this information is not volunteered - it's only available on request - and verbally at that.

Thats not really good enough though is it? the fact that it says pending is understood, so if its reversed or whatever, no harm, as it is already stated as pending rather than processed, even if that why they don't show who it is pending for, its not a good reason.

also, whatever about staff privilages, what about my privilage? shouldn't I above evryone else know what is happening with my money?

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Have 2000 in the bank, take out 200, now have 1800.

Go online, shows 2000, available 1800.

Why the confusion?

Call them for an explanation, or, wait a day or three 'til the details are updated online :D

it doesnt say why/how/who, just the numbers, thats what the thread is about

Yes, of course. It would be ideal if PTSB, AIB, BOI etc could have an up-to-the-minute/hour account of what has gone where etc. Sure it sometimes takes an age for even the Irish Lottery numbers to be updated on the Irish Lottery website. I get the feeling there is just one person updating both those (and other) services :)

ah ya, but lets be fair about it, the amount shows up instantly, and the only reason it shows up is because it goes direct from the shop, so if it can instantly show how much, why not show where from, considering its all coming from the same place to start with

Thats not really good enough though is it? the fact that it says pending is understood, so if its reversed or whatever, no harm, as it is already stated as pending rather than processed, even if that why they don't show who it is pending for, its not a good reason.

also, whatever about staff privilages, what about my privilage? shouldn't I above evryone else know what is happening with my money?

Yes - but it's your responsibility to keep track of your account, not the bank's.

Do you have that many laser / debit transactions that you can't keep a rough idea in your head of what's going out?

• Advertisement

Yes - but it's your responsibility to keep track of your account, not the bank's.

Do you have that many laser / debit transactions that you can't keep a rough idea in your head of what's going out?

oh right, its my fault that the bank doesn't want to show its customer an up to date statement? I'm sorry, I was under the impression that the bank was a service that I pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

agreed, no fees is great to be sureQUOTE]
    I was under the impression that the bank was a service that I pay for.
    :confused:

Kennie1 wrote: »
    agreed, no fees is great to be sureQUOTE]
    :confused:

I didn't say my account was free, the previous poster did, I agreed no fee's were great.

also, do I get the feeling that I'm being trolled for trolls sake? Are you all actually cool with the fact that a service (some of us) pay for isn't as good as it should be, seriously?

I know its been said that us Irish are the kind of folk that wouldn't complain at a resteraunt when served a plate of sh*t, but are you all actually cool with your service? or is it that you don't keep on an eye on your account and don't care to?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Keep it civil, all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Personally I'd only regard it as an necessity/issue if there are so many frequent transactions on the account that it's impossible to keep track of what's what, even in that scenario the missing info you require becomes available online a day or three later.

@captain morgan, @cascade711

All I'm saying is that whether its one transaction or several hundred, I really think it should be stated in plain text as to where and who the pending transactions are

I think as a service, that some of us pay for, that all relevent info should be presented. I dont think we should have to make a list of every transaction we make, thats serious hassle, and not much of a "service"

Imagine getting a phone bill stating you owe x amount. but thats all it says, and the phone company says, "well can't you remember all the calls you made? didn't you make a list?" thats exactly the same if you ask me, not good enough

Imagine getting a phone bill stating you owe x amount. but thats all it says, and the phone company says, "well can't you remember all the calls you made? didn't you make a list?" thats exactly the same if you ask me, not good enough

Not really the same as the information re the pending transactions is made available to you once they're processed (usually within two / three days).

I presume with your phone bill example the information remains a secret forever?

Not really the same as the information re the pending transactions is made available to you once they're processed (usually within two / three days).

Its really very very simple, if the bank can show the amount of a pending transaction immediately, there is zero reason why it cannot also show who has made the claim for said pending transaction.

of course the processed transaction is shown, that goes without saying, but the pending transaction should also state what shop/person/etc considering that the bank can already state the amount. yet it doesn't, which I think is ridiculous, but for some reason, everybody seems to be cool with that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mezdupmaiden

I'm with PTSB and find them quite good, no fees either. My statements always specify the retailer when money has been taken.

I have to agree,
    Its not really that cryptic to be honest, pending transactions is exactly that, takes a day or two to process and it does show up, but you know yourself where the transaction is coming from as its your acc no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement