Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PartyPoker.com World Grand Prix 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭briany

What happened at the end of the game? It looked like Lewis and vG briefly shook and then vG was beckoning Lewis back and they shook again, or did vG want to say something to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

What is it with darts players and losing, they always seem bitter towards their opponents, be gracious FFS!

I think Justin Pipe will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Shocking performance by Lewis and looked like a lad after a few too many shandies today! Then at the end walking off with Van Gerwen's darts case,clearly mind not on the job! A wide open tournament,anyone to wins but personally I think it would be great to see Brendan Dolan win it out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

What is it with darts players and losing, they always seem bitter towards their opponents, be gracious FFS!

I think Justin Pipe will win it.

I hope not!

He must be impossible to play against. this might sound harsh but I'd put a lot of his wins down to completely psyching the opposition out. It must be impossible for them to keep concentration when he takes forever to throw three darts!

If I had to put a tenner on someone this instant, at the top of my head, I'd say Thornton (cue him now losing tomorrow! :D)

Believe me I don't want him to win it either but he has a good chance, he will bore his opponent into submission.

Maybe Newton?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Delighted McG won even though he didn't play that well. Lewis was very poor. Really is wide open now and I personally think it's great to have new players reaching quarter finals.

The funny thing is I actually cannot stand any of the players left bar MVG and Dolan. The former was poor enough tonight I thought and if Lewis played half decent he would have most likely won. Don't see MVG as major winning material yet although I think he'll beat Hammer.

Youssef- Indeed he's a frustrating guy alright. I think the partisan crowd could play a huge factor in that game tomorrow though. Won't be pretty to watch I can see them going to town on him

Good win for Newton. Who's that guy in the crowd supporting him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

cgpg5 wrote: »
    The funny thing is I actually cannot stand any of the players left bar MVG and Dolan. The former was poor enough tonight I thought and if Lewis played half decent he would have most likely won. Don't see MVG as major winning material yet although I think he'll beat Hammer.

Unfortunately, think Hamilton will slow it up big time and beat MVG handy enough, hope am totally wrong though..
    First time 2moro night at a darts tourney and hope;
    Dolan beats pipe(zzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
    MVG beats Hammer(but doubt it)
    King v Thornton (dont mind who wins, prob if pushed, wud sway to king)
    nicholson beats Newton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Its fairly obviously what it means???

The "Last 8" ie. the Quarter Finals are the best of 5 sets again, like the second round. Its been changed this year, and yes it used to be 4 but its not this year.

Also Tommy Cox is the tournament runner, he went on Twitter and "tweeted" this information.

Hope that makes it clearer for you to understand

Obviously I mean what does he mean by time constraints.

It's a load of bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

shiibata wrote: »
    Unfortunately, think Hamilton will slow it up big time and beat MVG handy enough, hope am totally wrong though..
    nicholson beats Newton

You've gotten very unlucky with the poor line up but it will still be very good.

Glad I didn't get tickets now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

Good win for Newton. Who's that guy in the crowd supporting him?
    That was his brother Dale Newton, a former professional player himself.
    mdwexford wrote: »
    You've gotten very unlucky with the poor line up but it will still be very good.

Glad I didn't get tickets now though.
    There is a group of my friends going to the 1/4 finals and i am now glad i decided not to go. Agree it will still be a great nite but just a bit dissapointing none of the ''Big Boys'' will be playing.

Unfortunately, hav always been a barney fan.....when seen draw, the QF's looked tasty.....but Pipe....zzzzzzzzzzzz

I hope not!

He must be impossible to play against. this might sound harsh but I'd put a lot of his wins down to completely psyching the opposition out. It must be impossible for them to keep concentration when he takes forever to throw three darts!

If I had to put a tenner on someone this instant, at the top of my head, I'd say Thornton (cue him now losing tomorrow! :D)

If playing slow (and being a decent enough thrower) is enough to win matches, Dennis Smith should be a multi-time world champion by now. I think it's something of a cop out when players blame their opponent's slow throw for a defeat suffered or for hindering their own performance. It's hardly ever complained about when they manage to beat these slow throwers so, to me, it's a scapegoat. Yes, it might be annoying when you play someone who's rhythm is incompatible with your own but different styles is part of the game, as is a little psychology. If they can't deal with that, professional darts might be the wrong place for them.

briany wrote: »
    If playing slow (and being a decent enough thrower) is enough to win matches, Dennis Smith should be a multi-time world champion by now. I think it's something of a cop out when players blame their opponent's slow throw for a defeat suffered or for hindering their own performance. It's hardly ever complained about when they manage to beat these slow throwers so, to me, it's a scapegoat. Yes, it might be annoying when you play someone who's rhythm is incompatible with your own but different styles is part of the game, as is a little psychology. If they can't deal with that, professional darts might be the wrong place for them.

Pipe has never won a major tournament or even come close so it obviously hasn't affected everyone. So that Dennis Smith point is a little silly even though I'm aware you're using hyperbole! Even still, Smith is not as slow as Pipe

But i do think it has affected players, most notably Newton at the worlds. It shouldn't affect players and it is their own problem yes, but I'm just saying it must be difficult/frustrating when most of your time on the oche is spent waiting for your opponent to finish his throw. People's opinions will no doubt differ on this though!

I remember thinking the same with Suljovic a few years back when he beat wade at the worlds. It was a classic example of completely psyching out your opponent. Whatever you can do to win and all that, I guess

shiibata wrote: »
    nicholson beats Newton

I remember Hammer playing Klaasen at the worlds a few years back, and being blown away by Klaasen's pace and high scoring. He had no response at all and I'm hoping MVG could do the same today! Maybe wishful thinking though, but I just have a feeling Mike will do it and then lie down in the semis

Can't stand hamilton but at the same time it'd be hard to begrudge the guy a major. Seems to work incredibly hard

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gaziah

Is it me or is the atmosphere a little lacking this year? could be the smaller venue or because i only got to watch a few games, but theres something about it.
    p.s can't wait for van gerwen v hamo tonight, although hyped up matches for me tend to be dull affairs:(

Pipe has never won a major tournament or even come close so it obviously hasn't affected everyone. So that Dennis Smith point is a little silly even though I'm aware you're using hyperbole! Even still, Smith is not as slow as Pipe

But i do think it has affected players, most notably Newton at the worlds. It shouldn't affect players and it is their own problem yes, but I'm just saying it must be difficult/frustrating when most of your time on the oche is spent waiting for your opponent to finish his throw. People's opinions will no doubt differ on this though!

I remember thinking the same with Suljovic a few years back when he beat wade at the worlds. It was a classic example of completely psyching out your opponent. Whatever you can do to win and all that, I guess

There wouldn't be much in it between Smith and Pipe, comparing a given throw from a video of each, they're both around 12 seconds or so by my estimation. Pipe's probably never going to be a world beater but that goes back to my point that he's beatable in spite of his deliberate style and players who do make a big deal of it like Wes Newton when he was on stage last year (he poo-pooed the idea though in the post match interview), should maybe chalk their own poor performance down to a bad day at the oche instead.

Pipe's a likable player though, I think. I wouldn't be against seeing him win a major at all. He's genial, well spoken, looks after himself and just gets on with his game. He's the antithesis of players like Adrian Lewis; surly, scowling, overweight and giving off a sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

There wouldn't be much in it between Smith and Pipe, comparing a given throw from a video of each, they're both around 12 seconds or so by my estimation. Pipe's probably never going to be a world beater but that goes back to my point that he's beatable in spite of his deliberate style and players who do make a big deal it like Wes Newton when he was on stage last year (he poo-pooed the idea though in the post match interview), should maybe chalk their own poor performance down to a bad day at the oche instead.

Pipe's a likable player though, I think. I wouldn't be against seeing win a major at all. He's genial, well spoken, looks after himself and just gets on with his game. He's the antithesis of players like Adrian Lewis; surly, scowling, overweight and giving off a sense of entitlement.

well said i agree with you about pipe, he comes across as a likeable guy, and has made great strides winning a few PTCs. i think he has a great chance but i think brendan with the crowd behind will win tonight, but it will be a tight game.

priestley was a slow player, perhaps jp is even slower, its so long since dennis has been at a tv major unfortunately so im not 100pc on that. i think it shows that guys who lose the plot against slower players like newton in the WC 12 against pipe still have a bit of maturing to do to handle slower players etc.

lewis seems of be always a mixture of brilliance and annoyance/frustation most games !!!! i think he seems to only care about playing well at the WC :p

If anyone interested, lad pulled out dis morning so hav 1 ticket for tonight...
    Table seat in block F I think, we have to collect tickets ourselves at city west..
    PM if interested....

• Advertisement

There wouldn't be much in it between Smith and Pipe, comparing a given throw from a video of each, they're both around 12 seconds or so by my estimation. Pipe's probably never going to be a world beater but that goes back to my point that he's beatable in spite of his deliberate style and players who do make a big deal of it like Wes Newton when he was on stage last year (he poo-pooed the idea though in the post match interview), should maybe chalk their own poor performance down to a bad day at the oche instead.

Pipe's a likable player though, I think. I wouldn't be against seeing him win a major at all. He's genial, well spoken, looks after himself and just gets on with his game. He's the antithesis of players like Adrian Lewis; surly, scowling, overweight and giving off a sense of entitlement.

I actually couldn't agree more. I have nothing against him at all for the record! Just looking back at that Newton game while we mention it, I recall the crowd being an absolute disgrace. Pipe said nothing, even when he won there was no digs at the crowd or anything. I'd say he's a very nice guy who really looks after himself and trains very hard.

I feel for him already ahead of tonight though. He won't get a moments peace :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Would like to see King win. Really really classy player on his day. Looking at the odds though, Nicholson would be worth a punt at 14s

Degag wrote: »
    Would like to see King win. Really really classy player on his day. Looking at the odds though, Nicholson would be worth a punt at 14s

Definitely. It really is impossible to call.

My predictions for tonight anyway

Pipe, MvG, Thornton, Nicholson

Quite easily the other 4 could win though it's that hard to call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Definitely. It really is impossible to call.

My predictions for tonight anyway

Pipe, MvG, Thornton, Nicholson

Quite easily the other 4 could win though it's that hard to call
    Thats pretty much my reasoning also, so therefore backed the player with the logest odds which surprisingly is Nicholson (joint with Dolan)

I actually couldn't agree more. I have nothing against him at all for the record! Just looking back at that Newton game while we mention it, I recall the crowd being an absolute disgrace. Pipe said nothing, even when he won there was no digs at the crowd or anything. I'd say he's a very nice guy who really looks after himself and trains very hard.

I feel for him already ahead of tonight though. He won't get a moments peace :(

Home crowd and all that. It's to be expected and is part of the PDC game. Not a part that many of us would claim to be a fan of though.

Strangely enough, and I don't know how many would be with me on this, but I don't really see nationality when I'm watching darts. It's the last thing from my mind almost in terms of being for a particular player and while it's fantastic to see players from Ireland doing well, it's not going to have much bearing for me tonight either. It's actually kind of win-win. Like JP so don't mind seeing him win and Dolan winning is good for the Irish game, plus Dolan winning would be at least one victory for Irish sport tonight. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

cracking atmosphere out here tonight. well done brendan dolan. pity bout some idiots booing pike which was undeserved. nice to see dolan give him a salute at the end

Surprised Dolan was the first game? Thought they'd have it as the main event given the line-up!

Fair play to him. Not liking the first to 3 though. It's not even that at second round of the WC!

Dolan can really win this! Would be incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

does anyone if they switched to the bigger venue for the quarters and weekend or did they stick to the smaller venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Another long drawn out affair there with Van Gerwen eventually winning 3-2 after missing a stack load of match winning doubles. Ridiculous there's still a game to compete at the hour of the night it is! It's just as well games are only the best of 5 sets,lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Treble20 wrote: »
    Another long drawn out affair there with Van Gerwen eventually winning 3-2 after missing a stack load of match winning doubles. Ridiculous there's still a game to compete at the hour of the night it is! It's just as well games are only the best of 5 sets,lol!

The bar there sticks to the last orders pub times aswell you could easily be stuck there without a drink if you did'nt know.

Advertisement