Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PartyPoker.com World Grand Prix 2012

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Treble20 wrote: »
    The BDO need a serious change at the top table and get rid of the likes of Robert Holmes and Fitzmaurice who gets more embarrassing in every TV tournament shown! The strange thing is even with all their many faults I find BDO tournaments compulsive viewing,strange but true!

Im the same. I'm a darts fan because of the BDO, it pains me to see so many guys jump ship to the PDC at the say time the BDO is so incompetent, can we really blame them.

I dislike what sky sports have done to the sport just like football the money will attract the talent but in the long run the sport is less enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

T-K-O wrote: »
    Im the same. I'm a darts fan because of the BDO, it pains me to see so many guys jump ship to the PDC at the say time the BDO is so incompetent, can we really blame them.

I dislike what sky sports have done to the sport just like football the money will attract the talent but in the long run the sport is less enjoyable
    Unfortunately a lack of major TV tournaments and prize money has forced many players to abandon the BDO and try their luck with the PDC. Northern Ireland's Paul Brown was a player who had a brilliant weekend at the Masters in Hull but sadly due to a lack of TV coverage of BDO tournaments it's quite possible the darting public might never hear this man's name grace the TV stage again.

I see Daryl Gurney won tonight's Tom Kirby memorial matchplay final 6-3 to win a place in the PDC Worlds in December. Daryl a great player who has appeared in 2 BDO World Championships yet after what happened to him last Wednesday in Hull when he was disqualified from the Lakeside Play Offs it's unlikely we'll see this young talent grace the BDO stage again.

It's a sad state of affairs. The BDO are hell bent on destroying their organisation and in the meantime the PDC dont even have to convince players to jump ship.

It's a shame for the guys you mentioned, it's a difficult career without that crap going on in the background

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

buster180 wrote: »
    Delighted for MvG but disappointed for King. The man is trying to earn a living playing darts and to have a crowd trying to put him off at every throw is out of order. The morons in the crowd possibly cost him £60k.

But (one of) the reason theres £100K STG for the winner, (and theres 7 or 8 competitions on the circuit with this sort of cash) is that the crowd is allowed/encouraged to get stocious drunk and behave like a 'shower of mongs'.

Make 'em behave, and a lot of them won't bother turning up. Less attendance money, and suddenly the sponsors pay less and the onsite boozer/bookie/chipper pays less for their concessions.

And theres only £50K for the winner. Ask the players how much money they are willing to give up for 'best of order'.

But (one of) the reason theres £100K STG for the winner, (and theres 7 or 8 competitions on the circuit with this sort of cash) is that the crowd is allowed/encouraged to get stocious drunk and behave like a 'shower of mongs'.

Make 'em behave, and a lot of them won't bother turning up. Less attendance money, and suddenly the sponsors pay less and the onsite boozer/bookie/chipper pays less for their concessions.

And theres only £50K for the winner. Ask the players how much money they are willing to give up for 'best of order'.

Sky sports and the PDC at its very best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭hipdoobloon

Treble20 wrote: »
    T-K-O wrote: »

Unfortunately a lack of major TV tournaments and prize money has forced many players to abandon the BDO and try their luck with the PDC. Northern Ireland's Paul Brown was a player who had a brilliant weekend at the Masters in Hull but sadly due to a lack of TV coverage of BDO tournaments it's quite possible the darting public might never hear this man's name grace the TV stage again.

I see Daryl Gurney won tonight's Tom Kirby memorial matchplay final 6-3 to win a place in the PDC Worlds in December. Daryl a great player who has appeared in 2 BDO World Championships yet after what happened to him last Wednesday in Hull when he was disqualified from the Lakeside Play Offs it's unlikely we'll see this young talent grace the BDO stage again.
    I was curious 2 know why gurney was dq from the Winmau , I heard there was a complaint from the Americans and was it bcos he was playin in the pdc Tom Kirby final and trying 2 qualify 4 the bdo's Winmau ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

liam7831 wrote: »
    Great win for Mighty Mike today. He has been in good form lately i think he is good value e/w at 22s

Ahem................:D Picked up quite a wedge today:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

liam7831 wrote: »
    Ahem................:D Picked up quite a wedge today:)

Well done, but 22/1 you were fleeced, that was with PP, he was 33/1 with boyles and many other bookmakers.... Could of been alot better for ya if you looked around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I hate when I win a bet and someone who didn't take the bet at all tells me how, really, I lost. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

PP had MVG at 80/1 for the World Championshipa while ago now they have him at 14/1.
    A bit of a over reaction imo.

Boyles have Lewis at 9/1.
    It would be impossible to back either Wade or Anderson with any confidence.
    Barnie has no fight left in him.
    Taylor's definately not unbeatable and I dont think 2/1 is much value.
    Whitlock is 12/1.

I dont think Lewis will be 9/1 come december I think he looks value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

robbie1977 wrote: »
    PP had MVG at 80/1 for the World Championship now they have him at 14/1.
    A bit of a over reaction imo.

Boyles have Lewis at 9/1.
    It would be impossible to back either Wade or Anderson with any confidence.
    Barnie has no fight left in him.
    Taylor's definately not unbeatable and I dont think 2/1 is much value.
    Whitlock is 12/1.

I dont think Lewis will be 9/1 come december I think he looks value.

Roll on the world champs :)

Can't see MvG coming close. He'd have nowhere near as easy a route and definitely doesn't have a WC in him yet. Over reaction as right!

Lewis will win it. Firstly, he was disadvantaged at the WGP due to the format. Lewis thrives off a longer format as he drifts in and out of games. When he hits form he's unstoppable. Secondly, he's going for 3 in a row and it is up to the others to stop him. He knows what it's like to win here. Finally, he's the best player in the world imo. When on form he hits some breathtaking darts. The Ally Pally seems to bring the best out in him

Players are now getting more confident of beating Taylor and it is definitley having an effect. Gone are the days players were beaten before even stepping out onto the oche.

Saying all this, it wouldn't shock me if we had a similar championships to 2008

Advertisement