Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

savings account questions

Options
  • 26-03-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

i have 3 questions regarding savings accounts with irish banks.

1. firstly can anyone explain the purpose of an account in each spouses name when a couple are married? surely everything is split 50/50 so why do each person in a couple hold a separate bank account? is it 100% for that person or is it 50% for each spouse?

2. pretend a married couple each have their own savings account in their own name, lets call them ann and barry. ann is very good with money and saves up 50,000 euro in savings. barry on the other hand is in 100.000 euro debt. if they split or not, would ann have to legally pay off barrys debt or is her 50,000 hers as it was not in a joint account??

3. hypothetically if the euro collapses, what is the maximum percent of our savings we could lose with the devaluation?

4. when will we know for sure if the banks are safe and the euro wont collapse?

5. is there even the slightest possibility that the banks could write off all our hard earned savings if everything went bankrupt? i mean i understand if it happened short term but would we get our savings back eventually or would they disappear?

basically my last question and main one is..

6. is there any point in irish people motivating themselves to save money? what is the point if its not 100% safe?

Advertisement