Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Lever Geography HELP!

• 26-03-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey lads! Okay so I do HL Geog and am hoping for a good A2. However, at the minute I'm only really at a C1/B3. I honestly think I will be able to do it, I just don't know what to learn (horribly bad teacher who hands out thousands of sheets of useless info, then persists in telling us none of it is really necessary...:confused:)
    After getting the LC Geog supplement in the Independent recently, an interview with an A1 student said he had learned
    11 answers for core unit one, 16 for two, 7 for the elective and 5 for the option. This was more than enough.
    Is it really that easy? Not easy as in, I know theres a lot of info, but can I really just learn answers and be grand? And does anyone know what these questions are?
    Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Hey lads! Okay so I do HL Geog and am hoping for a good A2. However, at the minute I'm only really at a C1/B3. I honestly think I will be able to do it, I just don't know what to learn (horribly bad teacher who hands out thousands of sheets of useless info, then persists in telling us none of it is really necessary...:confused:)
    After getting the LC Geog supplement in the Independent recently, an interview with an A1 student said he had learned
    Is it really that easy? Not easy as in, I know theres a lot of info, but can I really just learn answers and be grand? And does anyone know what these questions are?
    Any help would be appreciated!

Ok I got B2 in my pre and was disappointed..very but I realised the reason I lost most marks was because I thought some points were SRPs but apparently they are not :P So my advice would be do really learn off answers with good SRPs that you know will attain full marks. Other than that yes but I think in physical section you only need to know about 5 :D Well for me anyways..

Hope I helped a bit :D Btw could you maybe give me the answers he said needed to be learnt for human and regional thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

For physical the main ones are rock cycle, river processes, landform development and plate tectonics. Regional would be the EU expansion, development of urban areas and contrasting regions' developments.

I dont do human or geoecology so I have no idea what the story is there though, sorry :( Look through the exam papers at the patterns for an idea, but remember, they're trying to change the predictability of the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

Thanks for the help lads!
    Unfortunately it didn't specify which questions he had learned, I was hoping someone else here could give me an answer! But I guess I just need to trawl through the papers and see whats the most popular!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Physical
    1. Waterfall
    2. Human interaction with Rock cycle (Navan mine)
    3. Human Interaction with fluvial (3 Gorges)
    4. Isostatic processes
    5. Karst landscape
    6. formation of rocks (3 types)
    7. Tectonic activity (3 answers)

10 answers overall then

Regional
    1. Primary, secondary, tertiary (2 Irish regions,2 european)
    2. Gaeltacht or Belgium
    3. Eu Expansion
    4. Growth of cities (Paris,Dublin Sao Paulo)

Much harder to narrow this down, I have disregarded Primary secondary and tertiary in Brazil for now

Human
    1. Assorted map questions (site settlement function etc)
    2. Migration
    3. Overpopulation (region and city)
    4. Population
    5. Settlement patterns

Really haven't put too much into this section yet, if anyone can add to this I'd be grateful

Biome/Soils
    1. Soil comparison
    2. Human impact on biomes
    3. Human interaction with biomes
    4. Characteristics of biomes

I could do with adding to this too but this is good enough for now

If anyone is doing another essay question and is aware of common questions I'd appreciate them sharing, for example the human interaction with a biome question is commonly asked. It didn't come up last year so it's a good one to bank on. Is there situations like this in the other essay topics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Id agree with most of what you said but ive a fex suggestions

I feel knowing 3 answers on rock formation to be unessacery other than that though id agree with what you said. Id also learn an essay on earthquakes maybe an answer on folding and falulting aswell.

Regional is spot on except on except id only learn the growth of a city in a subcontinental region

Human is perfect. Historic Settlement is very important for this year

And for Geoecology id disagree Biome characteristics and human interaction with a biome came up last year. These generally dont repeat themselves. In my opinion a difficult biome Q is due. Id suggest learning Soil formation and Human interaction with a soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Southeast1

Folks,
    Speaking as an experienced LC teacher I would just say to you all that it is a risky strategy to just learn essays. In my experience the students who do best (and I have taught several A1 students over the past 6 yrs) are the ones who have a broad knowledge and are familiar with several case studies and are able to apply that knowledge to the questions asked.
    I suppose what I'm saying is that questions vary and if you have an essay learned and its slightly different to the question asked it might not be much good to you.
    You are better off having the knowledge and applying it to the question asked.
    On top of this the questions are becoming more specific and detailed each year so just be careful learning off answers.

Hope i'm not scaring people here btw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Limschoolboy

for physical i would defo know these

Landform development (waterfall/meander)
    human interference with surface processes (damming or coastal management)
    Human interaction with the rock cycle
    metamorphic rocks (came up 2010)
    sedimentary rocks (2009)
    rock type + distinctive landscape
    Karst - surface landform and underground landform

for plate tectonics, for me anyway im gonna study
    2007 and 2009 Q about forces at work (basically same question)
    global distribution of volcanoes... earthquake one too
    folding and faulting (feature: munster ridge valley. feature: african rift valley) then incase it is subject to irish landscape only i will learn faulting in Ireland.

Regional
    Irish - GDA (with points on BMW secondary sector incase they want a contrast)
    also look at one tertiary activity in a irish region (never came up as one)
    also pop distribution never came up.
    European Paris BASIN ( with supplements of mezzogiorno for agri and secondary incase of a contrast)
    sub continent - primary/secondary/urban growth/culture)

EU Expansion
    Concept of a Region
    there is probably more i just can think at the mo..

Human
    pop dis + density
    over population
    migration -ethnic religios/donor receiver
    map work - central place, historic, settlemnet patterns.
    urban problems - developed/developing
    urban planning stragies
    i dont think land use theories will come up.. settlement one could central place either in map or learnt form.

geoecology..

soil compostiion/characteristics
    how humans accelerate soil erosian

biomes
    how climate influences characteristics
    plant and animal adaption
    human interference (came up 2 years in a row before.. nothing stopping them doing that again)

if u know the first two biome questions then you'd have no problem if they asked characteristics..

biome questions that never been asked include: deciduos biome clearent, acid rain and industrial development on biomes and intensive agricultural practises on biomes.

Advertisement