Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I claim from my neighbour / landlord?

Options
  • 26-03-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I can't seem to get a straight answer from the prtb.
    My neighbour rented her house out to the worst tenants ever. They have burnt out cars, broken into neighbours homes, constant brawls etc etc... Any who these tenants broke my fence and destroyed my garden. They have now moved on ( thank god) and I asked the landlord was she going to fix my fence..or even help pay for it. Fair question?
    Her response shocked me. She simple said NO.

Am I being unfair to ask her to pay or help pay for the damages her tenant caused to my home?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Go after tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tina235

Going after the tenants is not an option. They have left without notice and stole everything from the house including the copper pipping..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

It is nothing to do with her. She was their landlady, not their mother. If they robbed a bank while they were living there would she be responsible? Why didn't you contact the Gardai at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your only ability to claim seems to be with the tenants or your own insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

IMHO, a landlord's obligation is only to deal with unsociable tenants in regard to their occupying the rented property. The landlord can only issue an anti-social Notice to Terminate to remove the tenants from the property. The landlord is not responsible for damage to property of the neighbours. cause by the tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Tina235

@ wyndham, at the time I did contact the gardai but they told me to call the landlord as they knew I wouldn't get any satisfaction from the tenants.

Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I feel sorry for the neighbour that was robbed proper it seems. For you OP I don't see how you could claim from the neighbour, she didn't do the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Tina235 wrote: »
    Going after the tenants is not an option. They have left without notice and stole everything from the house including the copper pipping..
    ...and you want to hit her up with a bill for your fence? :eek: For shame OP, for shame!

The tennent caused the damage, not the landlord.

Advertisement