Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyer advice wanted

Options
  • 26-03-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for some help here and hopefully someone can help out. My partner and I have recently had a little one and are living in rented accomidation.

At the moment our apartment is more like a walk in wardrobe for the little man so we are looking at potentially buying a house.

Now thats where we hit a brick wall, we are happy to rent but would prefer to make something our own.

We are thinking along the lines of

1) rent to buy scheme
    2) Home purchase loan scheme

has anybody here any experience in these lines that can provide me with some advice or with the way things are at present better off to continue renting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Gers_punto wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Looking for some help here and hopefully someone can help out. My partner and I have recently had a little one and are living in rented accomidation.

At the moment our apartment is more like a walk in wardrobe for the little man so we are looking at potentially buying a house.

Now thats where we hit a brick wall, we are happy to rent but would prefer to make something our own.

We are thinking along the lines of

1) rent to buy scheme
    2) Home purchase loan scheme

has anybody here any experience in these lines that can provide me with some advice or with the way things are at present better off to continue renting

If your partner recently had a baby and is on maternity leave a bank won't factor her income into the application until she has returned to work... I'd suggest renting a bigger place until such time as income qualifies you to borrow what you need and you have a sufficient deposit etc. The rent to buy scheme is a good option but you need a good solicitor to ensure it's a watertight agreement as there are a number of factors that need to be addressed... for example, what happens if you pay your rent on time each month but the owner hasn't been making mortgage repayments? When it comes to buying the property the amount of loan o/s is greater than the balance you need to pay...as I said a lot of variables and need a concrete legal document to ensure no issues...

Advertisement