Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My fish is sick (I think) HELP

Options
  • 26-03-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am a newbie fish owner and have a cold water tank with mino and 3 fantails. I've had them about 6 weeks now and all was good until I found my pleco (Stephen) dead in my tank yesterday morning. I don't know what caused it because he was settled in great but maybe thought it was his time to go as his behavior was normal the few days before.

Now I've noticed some markings on my goldfish. Their scales seem to be damaged and shiny almost cut like and one of them is black and red has whitey spots on him. I googled images of the different fungal diseases of goldfish but it looks different. I'm unsure what to do. I've read to add salt or maybe a partial water change?? Any feedback and advice would be really appreciated

xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

not a coldwater expert but a partial water change cant do any harm

could you upload a picture? also have you tested your water for nitrite/nitrate/ammonia?

Plecos are not really coldwater fish so no surprise he didnt do great, but lets try to save the living ones :) How often do you do water changes, clean filter etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 babystaffie

Ill try get a pic up. I do a partial water change every 7-10 days and clean out the filter too. I got the pleco with the goldfish from the same tank so thought he'd be ok cuz he seemed it in the shop. I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to all the though cause I'm new.

Not done a test yet, heading to the pet store 2m to get one and maybe some new filter pads too. Their behavior hasn't changed at all so maybe I'm catching it early. Thanks for your reply :) Attempting a pic now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

if you plan on keeping fish you will need test kits for all this stuff anyway.

How large is the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

tank size and cycling of the tank i'd go with as main problem. black marks on a goldie is a sign of ammonia burn.. also you don't want to replace the filter sponges you lose all the bacteria you have got from cyclling your tank.

Advertisement