Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Salmon based dog food

• 26-03-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Lexi has been on a medicated diet for three months now, she is recovering from surgery and we hope to change her to a different food in a few weeks when she is better.

Looking at a salmon based one as she has an extremely sensitive tum. Was in PetMania at lunch and see Wafcol Salmon & Potato. Anyone have any dealings with this brand. Here are the ingrediants;

Composition
    Potato (29%), Salmon (24%), Whole Lupin, Salmon Meal (12%), Seaweed (5%), Potato Starch (3%), Salmon Oil (2.5%), Sunflower Oil, Salmon Digest (1.8%), Minerals, Vitamins, Mannan-Oligosaccharides (2150mg/kg), Fructo-Oligosaccharides (2150mg/kg), Glucosamine (340mg/kg), Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM 340mg/kg), Chondroitin (240mg/kg)

The Salmon content isnt massive, but its grain free. I was also looking at Barking Heads but its very expensive.

Ingredients:

Fresh Scottish Salmon (min 26%), Potato (min 26%), Ground Oats, Dried Salmon, (min 15%), Potato Starch, Rapeseed Oil, Salmon Oil, Minerals, Dried Tomato, Natural Seaweed, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, Vitamins.

I want to keep her diet as simple as possible with no wheat. Any other possibilities?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hi all,

Lexi has been on a medicated diet for three months now, she is recovering from surgery and we hope to change her to a different food in a few weeks when she is better.

Looking at a salmon based one as she has an extremely sensitive tum. Was in PetMania at lunch and see Wafcol Salmon & Potato. Anyone have any dealings with this brand. Here are the ingrediants;

Composition
    Potato (29%), Salmon (24%), Whole Lupin, Salmon Meal (12%), Seaweed (5%), Potato Starch (3%), Salmon Oil (2.5%), Sunflower Oil, Salmon Digest (1.8%), Minerals, Vitamins, Mannan-Oligosaccharides (2150mg/kg), Fructo-Oligosaccharides (2150mg/kg), Glucosamine (340mg/kg), Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM 340mg/kg), Chondroitin (240mg/kg)

The Salmon content isnt massive, but its grain free. I was also looking at Barking Heads but its very expensive.

Ingredients:

Fresh Scottish Salmon (min 26%), Potato (min 26%), Ground Oats, Dried Salmon, (min 15%), Potato Starch, Rapeseed Oil, Salmon Oil, Minerals, Dried Tomato, Natural Seaweed, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, Vitamins.

I want to keep her diet as simple as possible with no wheat. Any other possibilities?

Thanks.
    Yes plenty of options i used to feed orjen very sucessfully but found the dog was getting slightly constipated on it , but its an excellent food great ingredients , at the moment im feeding Lukullus dry food from zooplus, the ingredients are good and is also grain free and the price is very good i could reccomend it.

The lukullus is €53 for a 15kg bag or if you buy 2 15kg bags you got both for €96 which is good for grain free food, maybe try a trial bag of it ? One of the mixes is Chicken and salmon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If you get the chance to go to a Pets at Home in the North, their own brand is Wainwrights, and they do a salmon and potato, have fed my dogs on it in the past, and was pleased with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks everyone, ISDW any idea on price?
    tk123 wrote: »

Not sure yet TK:rolleyes: we have to wait for two weeks or so until she is fully healed until we try new foods as dont want to upset her stomach while she is recovering but think fish of some sort might be best as chicken doesnt seem to suit.

Robbies do a salmon and potato one too btw - maybe easier on her tummy since it's mushy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ya maybe, will look into prices etc for all these and see where we stand. I wonder would Burns Fish & Brown Rice work? How is Bailey doing, you still feeding raw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Relatively new site - http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/which_dog_food_form.php#Anchor

You can search by salmon fish, and exclude other ingredients (click on the blue bits for this)

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Ya maybe, will look into prices etc for all these and see where we stand. I wonder would Burns Fish & Brown Rice work? How is Bailey doing, you still feeding raw?

He's doing great! :) Yep still feeding raw - made up my third batch of there at the weekend so all sorted for another month! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I used to feed ours Wafcol. Found it fine. They also used to have a customer loyalty card that entitled you to a bag free when you attached five receipts to a card. But I dont think they have this going anymore.
    Pets at Home sell it at £40 for 12kg

Switched to Wainwrights about 2 years ago, and they thrive on that now. The boy has a sensitive stomach and with Wainwrights he has nice solid, poo's. Would highly recommend it. It cost £37 for 15kg so might be worth the trip north if you buy in bulk.

With regard to the Burns food you mention with the rice in it - I have always had it in my head to steer clear of food with rice for some reason... Dont know why though. I must have been told it could aggravate either his skin or his belly issues.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement