Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Irish

• 26-03-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

What is the story with this term "black Irish", I've heard all the stories about Spanish armada survivors, but I've also heard the counter arguments that throw those out the window. So my question is where do the dark haired, tan skinned brown eyed Irish come from and why is it noticeable in the west

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Oh boy, this is going to be good!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

YouTube black Irish of Montserrat. It's a Caribbean island, and a lot of the population are of Irish decent! There's even a cork accent on one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

lcrcboy wrote: »
    What is the story with this term "black Irish", I've heard all the stories about Spanish armada survivors, but I've also heard the counter arguments that throw those out the window. So my question is where do the dark haired, tan skinned brown eyed Irish come from and why is it noticeable in the west

Ahh, the hotties among us. Don't question their origin, just bask in their beauty :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Oh.. I thought this would be about black Irish folks who have immigrant parents, never heard of that term. Is this a big contentious issue in the west? Maybe the milkman has something to do with it theres a lot of hairy babies on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Paul McGrath must be spinning in his grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

this thread may be of interest to you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66071712

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Ha Ha! you must be ginger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

0066ad wrote: »

Ha Ha! you must be ginger :D
    Actually I'm half puerto rican so I'm to dark to even be considerd Irish haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

amacachi wrote: »
    When did he die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Actually I'm half puerto rican so I'm to dark to even be considerd Irish haha[/QUOTE

Alot of people mistake me for being spanish, till i open my mouth.

When i was a kid, they use to call me ni**er, but now i know they

were just jealous of my handsomeness. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

0066ad wrote: »
    Actually I'm half puerto rican so I'm to dark to even be considerd Irish haha[/QUOTE

Alot of people mistake me for being spanish, till i open my mouth
    I'm the biggest joke for puerto ricans in the US, they think it's funny to see one of their own with a big paddy accent haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Jason Sherlock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

Alot of Reggae musicians and singers had Irish names. Susan Cadogan, Marcia Griffiths etc..... and I noticed the similarity with Irish accents, so I went about finding a link. This was pre-Marley and the rastafari take over so the accents were softer and many spoke with little patois (I and I etc.) Well, here's the info.

http://youtu.be/0QHYFXDGf4Y

http://youtu.be/0v5iLqy9Ap8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

i don't worry .. When'er I see a black irish fellah in a purple shellsuit.. got a pocket full o rainbows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

What about obama..he's black orish isn't he.

What I'd like to know is what about the red irish, ya know with the forecast being for sun and high temps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭as125634do

tell me bout it. i was in coffeeshop in amsterdam and some huge eastern european guy kept calling me a jew. wus loike im ireeesh man irish irish.
    wasnt going to disagree so i ripped out my circumsiced knob and he was like smelly jew die...we were far too stoned tho. oh ho ho mary jane id marry you but the establishment is muddling in our love :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

amacachi wrote: »

He should be.....because he's not dead !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Hmm interesting. My family come from the West of Ireland and I have the same look as described in the OP and a lot of my family out there share this trait. I never really thought about it to be honest. I always thought I got it from the other side to my family. It's very likely that there would have been some intermingling going on as my family live right by the coast. I'm going to ask about this next time I'm home :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

They bare the mark of Cain.

I remember reading something about our origins and southern Spain is prominent.

For those who are interested Red heads are nordic in origin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The red hair gene is found across all of northern Africa. Believed to have been introduced by Irish slaves being sold by the Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hmm interesting. My family come from the West of Ireland and I have the same look as described in the OP and a lot of my family out there share this trait. I never really thought about it to be honest. I always thought I got it from the other side to my family. It's very likely that there would have been some intermingling going on as my family live right by the coast. I'm going to ask about this next time I'm home :cool:

Careful how you phrase it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Nodin wrote: »
    Careful how you phrase it though.

Haha true. Intermingling wouldn't go too down well with the old school Catholics :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The red hair gene is found across all of northern Africa. Believed to have been introduced by Irish slaves being sold by the Spanish.

Maybe from the raid of Baltimore!

Is it because I is Irish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

44leto wrote: »
    They bare the mark of Cain.

I remember reading something about our origins and southern Spain is prominent.

For those who are interested Red heads are nordic in origin.

There was meant to be a Basque link, but I think it has since been discounted.

Indecently I, and my family, are from Galway.
    My auld fella and his brothers are all dark looking, you'd be forgiven for thinking they've walked of the set of a Martin Scorsese film; that is until they'd open their mouths and invariably say something about potatoes or the escalating price of Golden Maverick calf feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

No surprise. The Celts were balkies anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

And the Dutch.

It's good to know that even slaves got laid though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The white skin comes from Neanderthals. Seriously. Google it.
    The red hair comes from them too.

The dark skin comes from the Spanish Armada being washed up in Clare and mingling with the locals.
    The Spanish themselves have dark skin because of the invasion by the Moors (Arabs) which lasted a few hundred years. They were blonde before that.

A quick look at wikipedia and their sources will give you an insight into the history of skin tone in Europe.

By the way, Black people are the pure bred humans. We're mongrels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

DConway wrote: »
    YouTube black Irish of Montserrat. It's a Caribbean island, and a lot of the population are of Irish decent! There's even a cork accent on one of them!

Jesus I never knew about this! Loads of info on Wikipedia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

There was meant to be a Basque link, but I think it has since been discounted.

Indecently I, and my family, are from Galway.
    My auld fella and his brothers are all dark looking, you'd be forgiven for thinking they've walked of the set of a Martin Scorsese film; that is until they'd open their mouths and invariably say something about potatoes or the escalating price of Golden Maverick calf feed.

Chin up, Galway's a nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

its a west of ireland thing. Lots of west of Ireland folk have the very very dark hair, skin and eyes - Its a good look.

don't be jealous ginge's :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gevie Stee

I'm from Dublin and have that look, I like people saying I look spanish/brazilian/portuguese, but I deffo don't want to be associated with the West of Ireland haha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If you were look at me you'd think I from somewhere in the Mediterranean. I've dark brown hair tanned skin all year round and brown eyes. Its unusual really I've no foreign links that I know of and I'm from Tipperary. I was born in Galway though.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gevie Stee wrote: »
    I'm from Dublin and have that look, I like people saying I look spanish/brazilian/portuguese, but I deffo don't want to be associated with the West of Ireland haha
    West of Ireland is Best of Ireland ;)

I've got several dark curly haired friends and we've always assumed there was some Spanish blood in there somewhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I come from the west.
    I have a very large family with many extended cousins.
    On my mothers side, almost all of us are black hair, brown eyes.

I had my dna traced last year and am part of the Haplogroup H.
    H5a1 to be exact. The oldest trace back to that subgroup so far, was found in Jordon 6,800 years ago.

Movement of the Haplogroup H:

ng-map_l-h.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I come from the west.
    I have a very large family with many extended cousins.
    On my mothers side, almost all of us are black hair, brown eyes.

I had my dna traced last year and am part of the Haplogroup H.
    H5a1 to be exact. The oldest trace back to that subgroup so far, was found in Jordon 6,800 years ago.

Movement of the Haplogroup H:

ng-map_l-h.gif

So youse are the ones that didn't like the heat then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

dont most people in ireland have dark hair and brown eyes? i tan really easy but my tan is a manky yellowish color, should prob get it looked at

EdenHazard wrote: »
    dont most people in ireland have dark hair and brown eyes? i tan really easy but my tan is a manky yellowish color, should prob get it looked at

Maybe you're chinese Irish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

BickNarry wrote: »
    Alot of Reggae musicians and singers had Irish names. Susan Cadogan, Marcia Griffiths etc..... and I noticed the similarity with Irish accents, so I went about finding a link. This was pre-Marley and the rastafari take over so the accents were softer and many spoke with little patois (I and I etc.) Well, here's the info.

http://youtu.be/0QHYFXDGf4Y

http://youtu.be/0v5iLqy9Ap8

Those surnames are both very very welsh and marley is english:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Dont forget there are black-irish in the White House too ... the O'Bamas lineage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

The "black irish" are the natives and the fair haired are of english, scottish and viking descent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

who's up for finding a few of these 'black irish' and bashing them? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm a bit Spanish looking, dark hair & skin. Being goodlooking is tough, but somebody's got to do it.

Confab wrote: »
    I'm a bit Spanish looking, dark hair & skin. Being goodlooking is tough, but somebody's got to do it.

Are you tall too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I live in Dublin but my mothers family come from Kerry and im constantly asked what country im from,most recently i was asked was i Greek or do i have Greek parents, When i open my mouth they quickly realise im a DUb,
    Does anyone know where you can get your DNA traced id love to do it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've relatively sallow skin (relative to a typical Irish person anyway...i.e. not sallow at all in the global sense), black hair and blue eyes rather than brown. My Mam's side of the family have that going on. We've some sort link traced back to Portugal as far as we know, though it's distant and it came up through England into Ireland. Really must look into that side of the family more actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

During Roman times redheaded slaves cost 3 times more than any other slave and were on only be allowed kept by high ranking officals.Redheaded slaves were also guaranteed 2 days off a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Wes Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭luvnit!

I am of spanish descent or black irish as many say.

It was just something my father told me as a child, he has never gave me any explanation as to how he knows this

I am the only one of my family that inherited my dads "spanish" genes all the rest look like my mums side.

Dark skin, black hair, brown eyes.

I'm really interested to find out more but its quite difficult. I'm not from the west of Ireland and my surname most certainly isnt spanish!!

Advertisement