Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice - mass death of fish.... :(

Options
  • 26-03-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I've had a tank up and running with fish in for 4/5 months now, and all was ok till yesterday....

Had...
    6x neon tetra
    3x molly
    2x gold sucking loach

Saw a reed fish in a store recently, and took the plunge on saturday and bought one, along with two tetras - (know now that reedfish and tetras may not be compatible, but i'll hold my hands up and say that I didnt research it properly).
    That said the staff in the shop said there'd be no problem, so they obviously don't know what they're talking about. :mad:

Anyway, introduced the 3 newbies to the tank and all seemed fine. Came home last night and the reedfish was dead, so i removed him, done a 15% water change, and went to bed - home this evening and ALL the tetra's are dead, all 8.

I did a water test on friday and these were the results
    pH 7.4
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0.25ppm
    Nitrate 10ppm

Anyone have any insights / opinions as to what may have happened?

Oh also, the two loaches are hiding in an ornament, and the one of the mollys is swimming tail down, head up at about 40/45 degrees....

Concerned now for what's left.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You shouldn't have any Nitrites at all so I'd suggest that's the problem. Some how your tank's bacteria has been wiped out. Maybe some untreated tap water got in at some stage. I'd do a 50% water change straight away and cut back on the food until the tank cycles again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

two loaches dead...

Have you being doing large water changes?

no - 15% this week, 20% next week, 15% week after etc....

You need to get the nitrite reading at zero ASAP. Do a daily 50% water change treated with water conditioner and only feed a pinch of food every three days.

• Advertisement

50% daily changes???
    Not doubting you, but this seems excessive no?

alproctor wrote: »
    50% daily changes???
    Not doubting you, but this seems excessive no?

Your fish are dying because they are being poisoned by the nitrite in the water, that is toxic to fish and it needs to be removed straight away.

ok great.

should i test every day then too??
    and keep doing 50% changes till readings settle?

ok great.

should i test every day then too??
    and keep doing 50% changes till readings settle?

Yes. Cut right back on the food too. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

will do - thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

No probs. Don't worry we've all been there.

so done a 50% water change last night

1x molly died today - looks like a white hairy type growth all over his body, and his fins seemed smaller. I'm gutted over this especially, as he was born in my tank....

testing water in short while - will post results

pH 7.4
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrates 0
    Nitrites 10 ppm

same readings as last test....

remaining fish are darting to the surface, breaking the surface, and darting back down again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

what test kits are you using?

its a little hard to understand how a few days ago you had 10ppm nitrate/0.25ppm nitrite and now you have 10ppm nitrites and absolutely 0 nitrates. Is this a typo, do you mean the other way around??

yeah sorry - typo last night with test results....

Posted without checking last night - should be the following

Ammonia 0

Nitrates 10ppm

Nitrites probably slightly over 0, as colour is not an exact match, but is nowhere near the colour of the 0.25ppm swatch which is where it was on tuesday..

Oh, and I'm using the "API Freshwater Master Test Kit"

Al.

pH 7.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrates 20ppm

Nitrites 0

So nitrates have increased.... Advice? Should I continue with the 50% changes?

pH 7.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrates 20ppm

Nitrites 0

So nitrates have increased.... Advice? Should I continue with the 50% changes?

Perfect. Rising nitrates is a sign that the tank cycling. I would do less regular water changes but still test regularly to make sure the ammonia and the nitrite stays at zero. Well done :)

Thanks for your help - all but one fish died, however...

Gutted

The damage was probably done at that stage. At least you now know how to look after the fish a bit better now. It's all about the water, if the water is good the fish will be good.

We have all been where you are now, more than once :o I'm still learning every day. Good luck.

Advertisement