Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else getting calls off strange numbers?

Options
  • 26-03-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

im meteor but my number is 087 and i have gotten missed calls all day off these numbers +2399890126 and +2399890138. i googled them and it seems a few people with 087 numbers are having same problem.
    is there anyway off stopping them ringing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If you Google those numbers, they're based in Sao Tome and Principe (+239) and you've not been the first to get a call from them.

Looks like they want people to call back, and when they do, they'll get hit for a premium rate. So most likely a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

I did ring it back. I got message saying it was restricted by my service provider thankfully last thing I need is big phone bill

Most likely it's been restricted as a result of past complaints. As I said, if you Google the numbers, you'll find people (some Irish) complaining about this in online forums at least two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Shouldn't the numbers be left in this thread, along with the warning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No because sometimes the numbers of innocent people are hijacked by scammers and those people need to be protected so posting their number here would be unfair. Report it to your network provider by all means but posting the number on a public forum is not the right thing to do.

Calling an international number that you don't recognise is frankly a pretty dumb thing to do, just delete the message or the missed call record.

Do we really need boards.ie to provide a list of all the numbers in Sao Tome that we should not ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

coylemj wrote: »
    No because sometimes the numbers of innocent people are hijacked by scammers and those people need to be protected so posting their number here would be unfair. Report it to your network provider by all means but posting the number on a public forum is not the right thing to do.

Calling an international number that you don't recognise is frankly a pretty dumb thing to do, just delete the message or the missed call record.

Do we really need boards.ie to provide a list of all the numbers in Sao Tome that we should not ring?

Point taken. Any time I receive a call from a number I don't know I Google it, and usually find threads just like this one as the first result.

I did google the number the full number and one website came up from today with other 085 prefix numbers getting the same calls, I did ring it back because I taught it was either littlewoods or my son a had a communication computer on loan from an American company and I'm waiting on call to send it back. the other thread that's posted above has similar number on it, its the last 2 digits that are different

Mia culpa. The thread was reported and policy is to remove numbers, so I snipped them. In retrospect, it was perhaps better to keep them here so that the thread could be searched for using them, in the future - although you'd be surprised how many idiots will actually still call them when they see them posted.

If someone wants to post them again, for this purpose, I have no objection, and will 'unsnip' them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I'm with Three and have an 087 no. Got a call last week from +2399890135. Did'nt answer and will not be checking my voicemail for it either:D.

• Advertisement

i do think its a good idea to have the numbers here, when i googled first nothing came up so i rang back, when i got a second call of almost the exact number - last 2 digits were different i googled it and one thread on another site came up.
    the numbers that rang me were
    +2399890126
    and
    +2399890138

Numbers unsnipped.

Let me add that the reasons numbers are normally forbidden are varied; sometimes it is because some people actually go and try to call these numbers, but most commonly because accusations of fraud are made which are not always well founded and thus posting them opens up Boards to charges of libel.

In this case, it appears to be an open and shut case that is already documented throughout the Web and the operators (at least one of them) have already acted by blocking them.

This thread seems to have run it's course, although it's continuing presence on Boards will hopefully help others who have received calls from these numbers in future. Therefore I will close it now, unless there are any valid objections; which may be PM'ed to me or another moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement