Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with licence

Options
  • 26-03-2012 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,I was just wondering if it normal to receive your application back twice asking for additional info despite filling out nine page app and enclosing page upon page of extra info,receipts etc.I'm applying for a .22 Rifle and did everything I need to do like join a club,bought a safe etc to make it easier to get the licence but they seem to take my app,wait a month or so and send it back asking for more info,is this the normal process?Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It depends on your super, what did they ask for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Proof of club membership,safe,competency,why I wanted 1000 rounds,why I wanted a scope,is my place alarmed and now today proof of competition shooting and my results even though I haven't entered one yet as I don't have the gun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yzf R6 wrote: »
    Hi,I was just wondering if it normal to receive your application back twice asking for additional info despite filling out nine page app and enclosing page upon page of extra info,receipts etc..
    It's not about the quantity of info you supply merely the relevance. You list;
    Proof of club membership,safe,competency,why I wanted 1000 rounds,why I wanted a scope,is my place alarmed and now today proof of competition shooting and my results even though I haven't entered one yet as I don't have the gun.
    ......... as the reason they have returned the application. I presume you did not attach this info the first time. If not what did you send them?
    • If a member of a range or gun club provide a photocopy of your card. Front and back.
    • If you want it for target shooting then you need to provide proof of range membership via a photocopy of your range id card.
    • Did you tick the box for the secure accomodation?
    • If it's your first rifle then a competency course cert is required to be submitted.
    • For a 1,000 rounds the only "valid" reason would be target shooting. Again membership to a range, and a photocopy of your ID card should satisfy this.
    • The alarm comes under the security section. Provide a list of your exact security setup. Safes, brands, do they conform with BS7558, room alarmed, etc.
    • As for the scope. nothing to do with your FO. Did you tick the sights box? If so this is a mistake. It is not for standard scopes only NV, etc. Disregard this request as there is no law regarding scopes or any license required to own/possess one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax wrote: »
    It's not about the quantity of info you supply merely the relevance. You list;

......... as the reason they have returned the application. I presume you did not attach this info the first time. If not what did you send them?
    • If a member of a range or gun club provide a photocopy of your card. Front and back.
    • If you want it for target shooting then you need to provide proof of range membership via a photocopy of your range id card.
    • Did you tick the box for the secure accomodation?
    • If it's your first rifle then a competency course cert is required to be submitted.
    • For a 1,000 rounds the only "valid" reason would be target shooting. Again membership to a range, and a photocopy of your ID card should satisfy this.
    • The alarm comes under the security section. Provide a list of your exact security setup. Safes, brands, do they conform with BS7558, room alarmed, etc.
    • As for the scope. nothing to do with your FO. Did you tick the sights box? If so this is a mistake. It is not for standard scopes only NV, etc. Disregard this request as there is no law regarding scopes or any license required to own/possess one.
    Thanks Ezridax.1: didn't have membership card when I applied as it wasn't ready,but did give membership number and club details as required on app.2:As above gave details and Pulse number of range.3:Yes I ticked the box for secure accommodation.4:Gave in info re competency course I received from gunsmith and will also be sitting Countryside alliance course with club,I was advised by Gardai to sit one with Nargc.5:Target practice was my valid reason for 1000 rounds but was told I would not get this.6: didnt think I had to give proof of full security setup as I don't think it was asked for on app,it was just tick the box.7:Scope issue sorted,I was unaware of it only being for N/V until other poster advised me.Any thoughts on today's issue regarding competition results and info about what type and how often they are held in the club.Thanks.

Thanks Ezridax.1: didn't have membership card when I applied as it wasn't ready,but did give membership number and club details as required on app
    That would have been handy, but a letter would have sufficed. Not to worry now though. Submit a copy of the membership card or at the least a letter from the club in place of the card.
    .2:As above gave details and Pulse number of range.
    Thats fine.
    3:Yes I ticked the box for secure accommodation.
    While not on the application i always give a detailed description of my security setup. It shows the level of security, and save one intitial check when getting the handgun i have not needed a CPO check since.
    4:Gave in info re competency course I received from gunsmith and will also be sitting Countryside alliance course with club,I was advised by Gardai to sit one with Nargc.
    Have you sat a course? Is this your first application for this type of firearm. If so then a cert would be a necessity, and you should hold off submitting it again until you have this cert.
    5:Target practice was my valid reason for 1000 rounds but was told I would not get this.
    When you say club i presume you mean you have membershio of an authorised range? If so put down 1,000 on your application, and on the extra info sheet wrote that you need 1,000 as ammo is cheaper when bought in bulk, the variances between ammo is smaller when you bulk buy the same batch, that some ammo comes in packs of 500-525, and also to avoid you running to the dealers every week to buy more this amount will last you one month at a time as you can use up to 400+ rounds per training session.
    6: didnt think I had to give proof of full security setup as I don't think it was asked for on app,it was just tick the box.
    See above point 3.
    7:Scope issue sorted,I was unaware of it only being for N/V until other poster advised me.
    Make sure to remove the tick from your application.
    Any thoughts on today's issue regarding competition results and info about what type and how often they are held in the club.Thanks.
    They cannot base an application on the amount of comps you entrer. Even for pistol target shooting/applications and the scrutiny they come under they could not lay down a minimum competition amount for someone to be eligable to apply for a pistol. This means that brand new pistol owners must immediately enter comps, and maintain a minimm level to retain their license. IOW not possible nor legal (afaik). If you feel the need to write something i would put something along the lines of "The reason for the rifle is for informal target shooting on an authorised range, and entrance into club, and national competitions when and where they may be held and when i'm able to attend". You can word it better yourself, but i would be careful about what you write as you may find it becoming a condition on your license. Such as ONLY target shooting or only shooting on your range permitted with this firearm.

Provide as much info as possible. Not being smart, but too many times people either give very little info, and find themselves in this position or give the wrong/incomplete info, and find themselves in this position.

Make sure everything is in order. Do not re-send it until you have all the info, certs, photocopies, etc in place. This will eliminate getting the FCA1 back again. Lastly photocopy the entire FCA1. This way you have a record of what you submitted. I do this for every Full application, sub, amendment, cancellation, etc i do. It's a lot but worth it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Good man,thanks.Just to let you know,I resubmitted the app nearly a month ago now complete with all additional info and requested a meeting with the Sergeant that sent it back to me on behalf of the Super and fair play to him he met me.All went well and he went through the whole process with me and told me I should hear within a month or so and now today as I said they want more information on the club competitions.I was also told that I could not get a thousand rounds as this was my first firearm.I just don't understand why they did not request this info when they requested previous,just dreading another month going by and nothing but another request.

........... they want more information on the club competitions.
    Excuse my french but thats horses**t as is .............
    ...........I was also told that I could not get a thousand rounds as this was my first firearm..
    ........ so with that in mind. Re-submit your application when you have everything listed above. If you are not sure post here again or PM me and i'll go through it with you to make sure everything is done right.

As to the comp, and ammo limit. Well there is no legal standing to refuse someone based on the ammo limit they apply for. you enter the amount you want they either approve it or refuse and issue you the amount they want. There is nothing to say your first firearm can only be granted with X amount of ammo.

The comp thing. again not enforcable and i';m pretty sure not even legal. Membership to an authorised range is reaso enough to want/have the rifle so entrance into comps is not a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

my super is a strict 100 rounds on the first.... and second, gonna test him on the 3rd soon ;)

but although he is making you jump through a few hoops, if it was a straight forward no, he wouldn't have to waist times with asking the questions. when i met with my super on the first licence he mad me with over the 3 months, but i got the feel he was testing my patience. As in, if i got impatient, i may not be the best person to have access to a firearm, just my reading of him, kinda understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I asked for and received 2000 rounds on my first ever firearm licence. And believe me, 2000 rounds don't last long once you get into the swing of things. 1000 rounds doesn't sound excessive to me when you are target shooting. You could use that in a few days. 100 rounds could be used in half an hour.

Once you give a good valid reason for "needing" this amount of ammo, bulk buying, less variances by using fewer different batches etc etc, then there shouldn't be a problem.

As Ezridax has already said, how can you give proof of competitions and scores if you don't even have the gun yet. That's mad to request that info. You could tell them that once you have the rifle, you intend to enter competitions when you have improved your shooting. That's about all you can do.

It's an awful pity that the same regulations aren't applied the same everywhere. There's too much "making it up as you go along" stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

rgugliel wrote: »
    my super is a strict 100 rounds on the first.... and second, gonna test him on the 3rd soon ;)

but although he is making you jump through a few hoops, if it was a straight forward no, he wouldn't have to waist times with asking the questions. when i met with my super on the first licence he mad me with over the 3 months, but i got the feel he was testing my patience. As in, if i got impatient, i may not be the best person to have access to a firearm, just my reading of him, kinda understandable

Have a look at the thread started by ferrete on how to increase ammo limit on the 7/3/12 Look at clives post about Garda Comissioners Guidelimes on ammo limits

• Advertisement
Advertisement