Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

maize plastic or not

• 26-03-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

dose the extra cost of maize under plastic pay for its self, when you take in all the extra costs involved
    going to sow 25ac maize this year ourselves, first time in 6/7 years

what varieties do people find the best

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Why grow maize at all? This year I'm growing barley instead, I'll sell the grain and feed the straw to dry cows, I reckon the straw will be better feed than last year's maize.

Varities I grew last couple of years were Loft, cougar and konsort, all without plastic. Ok crop in 2010, but brutal last year, only putting in about 4 acres this year. It will be fed to weanling bulls.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

depends on many factors. Firstly what end result do you want, starch, high Dm, big yield, % of diet its going to make up. We are after 2 horrid years for maize growing especially in the open. Many people had forgotten the basics of maize growing as there were allot of handy growing years in the noughties. If you have a required tonnage and a limiting amount of land available then you have no option but to go with plastic. If you have plenty of acres then you can go without but only on fertile soils. As regards varieties - again what are your criteria for next winter diet

Advertisement