Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a swollen laminate worktop be fixed??

Options
  • 26-03-2012 10:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

The kitchen laminate worktop in my mates house has split on the edge and the workstop seems to have swollen slightly.

The split and swollen bit is only along a 2-3 inch stretch of the worktop beaide the kitchen sink.

My mate rekons that someone sat up on the edge of the worktop and possibly damaged/split the edge this way.

Can it be fixed/pressed back down and resealed in any way (maybe with some G-Clamps and wood clue)???

Or is it fcuked and it needs replacing?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is it chipboard?
    The water from the sink gets into it and swells it.
    Common on chipboard countertops.
    Solid wood is the only way to go IMO.
    Mine swelled and burst the sink clips off the sink.
    Now I have to get a new countertop and sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

paddy147 wrote: »
    The kitchen laminate worktop in my mates house has split on the edge and the workstop seems to have swollen slightly.

The split and swollen bit is only along a 2-3 inch stretch of the worktop beaide the kitchen sink.

My mate rekons that someone sat up on the edge of the worktop and possibly damaged/split the edge this way.

Can it be fixed/pressed back down and resealed in any way (maybe with some G-Clamps and wood clue)???

Or is it fcuked and it needs replacing?

Once the chipboard under the laminate swells up from moisture it's game over. It will never go back to how it was was.

If he's not happy looking at it long term then he will need to replace the worktop.

Where a sink or hobbis cut out the joint there will be very weak compared to the remaining worktop as there will only be 50mm or so back and front left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is it chipboard?

Its a "Topshape" worktop.

Basicly,its laminated on all 4 sides and square edged.

Its chipboard underneath.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is it chipboard?

Its a "Topshape" worktop.

Basicly,its laminated on all 4 sides and square edged.

Its chipboard underneath.

It's completly fcukes I that case! I recommend either a new worktop the same the existing or a solid wood worktop. I would go with the solid worktop if it was me.

Fcuked it is so.

I,ll give him the great news in the morning so.

Thanks folks.

• Advertisement

Fcuked it is so.

I,ll give him the great news in the morning so.

Thanks folks.

Sounds like he will be delighted so? If he wants someone to fit a new one I would be willing to do it for him.

Sounds like he will be delighted so? If he wants someone to fit a new one I would be willing to do it for him.

Im sure he will be delighted,I reckon his missus will be even more delighted than him.

Hes in Dublin.

Im sure he will be delighted,I reckon his missus will be even more delighted than him.

Hes in Dublin.

That's no problem. I'd travel up to do it

I,ll give him the good news in the morning and see what hes going to do,with regards a solution.

I,ll give him the good news in the morning and see what hes going to do,with regards a solution.

No problem. Let me know what they decide to do and if they would like me to fit a new one for them.

• Advertisement

Well paddy how did the bad news go down?

Well paddy how did the bad news go down?

Well according to my mate earlier on this evening,his missus aint too happy about forking out more money,but accepts that they will need to get a new worktop fitted at some stage..

Thats all I know.

Regards.

Advertisement