Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismissed Unfairly?

Options
  • 26-03-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm posting here looking for advice.

I was recently dismissed from work following paid suspension for an investigation. I was suspended for 2 weeks, from the day of my investigative meeting. My issue is I was dismissed for the following:

Two cases when off shift being given popcorn by a member of staff on shift, the company claim it is up to me as a member of staff to ensure it is paid for, not the member of staff on shift. As I see it I am a customer and it is up to the person on shift to ensure payment is taken. One of the staff members who gave me the popcorn had a disciplinary also but did not get dismissed.

The second issue is for giving out a DVD on my staff account to my girlfriends brother, who is basically family. The two people who interviewed me claimed they got DVDs for their family on their staff accounts yet the code of conduct states "The free rental allowance is restricted to personal use of the employee only, and may not be given to another staff member, family member, friend or customer." Now I understand I breached this but everyone in the entire company does it and I feel I'm being picked on over it. The meeting in which both people admitted getting DVDs for family members were the main HR representative and an operations manager.

I have received one warning in my entire time in the company, it was for ringing my manager about the roster while she was off shift(laughable warning). Other than that I've never had a warning. Yet for these reasons I was dismissed from my job. In the code of conduct their is no set procedure of disciplinary and I am wondering where I stand and what I can do in regards to appealing.

Any replies people have I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The everyone does it defense works when no individual is subjected to it.

I suspect you will have difficulty with what you are trying to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

xtra vision are feckers to work for anyway most establishments like them are, sorry to hear your bad luck, best is to move on and chalk it down to experience, I worked in those places for 5years best thing I ever did was get out

Advertisement