Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Dublin. Pedestrianing in Dublin. White vaning in Dublin. Taxiing in Dublin

Options
  • 26-03-2012 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hello one and all,

I was driving in Dublin today. I was there on a visit. Is it just me, or is safe/ good behaviour on the road totally non existent?

A woman was crossing the road near my car and not even looking at cars whizzing by. She had a look on her face like you're inconveniencing me by being in my way. It's a road for cars! Absolutely crazy. I saw a family walking out in the middle of the road and they full expected me to stop and let them pass (bare in mind that these were major roads, not small streets). I thought roads were for, like, cars?

I also came across a cyclist, who wouldn't pull over (nobody to his left) and a white van man who wouldn't let me out so I could drive around the cyclist. I was indicating to go right.

Then there was a taxi driver behind my car at a junction. Two cars were in front of me, and he was beeping his horn at me. Where was I supposed to go?

Crazy behaviour. I'm totally cheesed off. Go on, have a good laugh! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Kohl wrote: »
    A woman was crossing the road near my car and not even looking at cars whizzing by. She had a look on her face like you're inconveniencing me by being in my way. It's a road for cars!

Legally, pedestrians have right of way over EVERYTHING else on the road except emergency vehicles.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from After hours.

Please abide by the Dublin forum charter from here on out folks.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054950216

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

We're in some pretty though times. Some people are on edge. Other people are just jerks (and there's always jerks no matter how though the times).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Confab wrote: »
    Legally, pedestrians have right of way over EVERYTHING else on the road except emergency vehicles.

I thought that horses had right of way,not so sure about people who make a decision to cross the road other than at a pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I also came across a cyclist, who wouldn't pull over (nobody to his left) and a white van man who wouldn't let me out so I could drive around the cyclist. I was indicating to go right.

Explain this bit a little more, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Only left Ireland 7 months ago but was back for a week in Feb, the driving absolutly shocked me, it was horrific by all parties. Never noticed as much before because I was used to it I suppose but living somewhere where people seem to be able to drive and going back was a real eye opener!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

dubtom wrote: »
    I thought that horses had right of way,not so sure about people who make a decision to cross the road other than at a pedestrian crossing.

I don't know anything about horses, but pedestrians can cross where and when they please without repercussion (except for potentially causing an accident). A lot of countries have laws against J-walking now, and while it seems silly at a big empty country road, it makes city walking/driving so much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Apparently Dublin has the safest roads of any city in Europe

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0929/breaking41.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ben D Bus wrote: »

Wouldn't have had any stats to back me up but I certainly feel slightly safer travelling/walking on dublin streets than most European cities. First night out in Rome was chaos trying to cross the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AlcatrazLogan

I usually feel quite safe around Dublin City Centre, there are plenty of crossing points available to use. The only trouble I've had is at the top of Parnell Square West beside Colaiste Mhuire where drivers do not always notice the lights.

The Luas drivers seem to few problems around Liffey Street though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Go on, have a good laugh! :eek:

I am, at you. Slow down, calm down, let people cross, overtake cyclists safely only when there is a gap in oncoming traffic. Dublin is the safest place to drive in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Were any of these pedestrians junkies? They love to walk out in front of moving traffic, and do it all the time. But whether they were or not, just take your foot off the accelerator and slow down. Jaywalking isn't illegal in Dublin, so pedestrians will step out anywhere. You need to be driving at such a speed whereby you can stop if this happens.

Maybe the cyclist didn't want to cycle in potholes, or over broken glass on the side of the street.

White van man may have not thought it safe to let you pull out, hard to tell with the info you've given.

As for the taxi driver, maybe he was beeping at the person 2 cars ahead of you. Were you at traffic lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's a road for cars!........ ........ I thought roads were for, like, cars?
    Why do you think roads are just for cars? What about bicycles, horse drawn vehicles, motorcycles, vans, buses, trucks, tractors......etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ben D Bus wrote: »

Stop bringing common sense into it, this forum is for people to make nonsensical claims about everything from crime to traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Barry3891

If a Pedestrian is on the path but steps onto the road as you are on the road you have the right of way and blantantly keeps walking accross the road without a care just blow the horn, I hate dick heads like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thread is 10 months old, Closed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

To many Zombies around Dublin Barry3891

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

D'oh, wrote the mod note but forgot to close the thread :D:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement