Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage question

Options
  • 26-03-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

For the last 2 years a company has been overpaying my friend in their monthly wage. My friend was not aware of this until recently when they recieved a letter from the company saying that they were owed X amount of money and would be deducted from their wage accordingly. What are the legalities regarding this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They can make the deductions - I presume they're going to spread it out though?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yep thats what they're saying. With deductions though it leaves very little wage though, it's only a weekend job as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have a feeling it gets more tricky once it's longer than a year that it's happened for .. some difficult tax / PRSI things to sort out.

Was it a lot? What would happen if he just left the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It would be very reasonable to request the money be taken back at the same rate it was overpaid... Your friend didn't notice it as extra so shouldn't miss it..
    I've seen this happen before..

I still do not understand how people can go overpaid for a long period and not notice...

Advertisement