Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink Floyd's best album

Options
  • 26-03-2012 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Alot of real Floyd fans will tell you its not the dark side.
    I like wish you were here but I will admit I havnt been through every single album , I have however just aquired the last few and now have every album , even the live stuff and rare stuff and so on so forth .
    Im looking foreward to working my way through it , Id love to know where to start , and what to look for . Has anyone got a favourite?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

My top 5:
    Dark Side Of The Moon
    Meddle
    Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    Wish You Were Here
    A Saucerful Of Secrets

If you like they're early stuff you should check out Syd Barrett's solo albums too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"Wish You Were Here" gets the most rotation........ here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Wish you were here for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Personally I enjoy listening to all PF albums, from The Piper to The Bell and everything in between and beyond, it just depends on the humour I'm in.
    But if I had to lose all my PF albums, but was allowed keep one, it would have to be Meddle.
    I just cannot imagine a world without Echoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

The Wall for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Top 3 for me would be:
    Dark Side of the Moon
    The Wall
    Wish You Were Here

The order would depend on my mood but I've listening to a lot of The Wall lately. Actually prefer the live version, Is There Anybody Out There, to the studio version.
    Also a big fan of Animals and Meddle but would rank them slightly lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Final Cut (controversial!) there is something about Waters obsessive 'quiet desperation' that is quite compelling. Not a party album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I find that because they're so diverse, it's very difficult to have an overall favourite, 'cos it really depends what mood you're in. Years ago, I had Animals and The Final Cut on either side of a ninety minute tape (home taping is killing music), both of which I loved, and which I played incessantly, but you could hardly pick two more different albums.

I suppose my top five would be (in alphabetical order):
    Animals
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Early Singles (from the Shine On box) :D
    The Final Cut
    The Wall

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Add a poll, OP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mike65 wrote: »
    The Final Cut (controversial!) there is something about Waters obsessive 'quiet desperation' that is quite compelling. Not a party album.

My favourite, though its years since I listened to any of 'em

Always have a soft spot for Relics too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Atom heart mother. Unbelieveable.

album_Pink-Floyd-Atom-Heart-Mother.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. I love it so much I have two copies on CD; the standard version and a mono edition that came out in 1997 for the thirtieth anniversary. There are noticeable differences between them so it's worth having both of them.

If it's not cheating to include a compilation album my joint favourite would be Relics. It was the first Pink Floyd album I ever owned. I bought it on cassette when I was about thirteen or fourteen. I knew nothing about Pink Floyd at the time but I used to keep rewinding the tape and listening to Remember A Day and See Emily Play over and over again. It was a cheap tape (which is the reason I bought it) and had very little information. It did list the songwriters though and the name 'Barrett' appeared after a lot of the song names. I thought he must be an interesting chap but I didn't learn much about him until a few years later. I gave away the tape years ago and I still regret it. I have it on CD and vinyl but I wish I had kept the tape for nostalgia.

After that my favourites are Music From The Film More and Obscured By Clouds, which are shunned by the band themselves. I find them far more interesting than their later albums though.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭pedigree

How about:
    Early-Mid-
    Obscured by Clouds
    Meddle
    Soundtrack "More"
    Darkside

Late-
    Wish you were here
    Aanimals

Pedigree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

littlejp wrote: »
    Top 3 for me would be:
    Dark Side of the Moon
    The Wall
    Wish You Were Here

Same 3 for me, but probably with The Wall 3rd.

I'll never tire of hearing all those background voices on Dark Side

"I've been mad for ****ing years..."
    "That geezer was cruisin for a bruisin..."

The Obscured by Clouds soundtrack is the most recent Floyd album I've discovered, starting to like it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

meddle, mainly because of strange memories it elicits from years gone by in altered states listening to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

Wish You Were Here

Although sometimes hard to decide which one !!

PinkFloydAlbums.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

#1 The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    #2 Animals
    #3 The Dark Side Of The Moon
    #4 Wish You Were Here
    #5 Atom Heart Mother

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nice Martyr

A tie between Wish You Were Here and Animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think Ill try meddle today .
    Its the most recommended one Im not familiar with. The extra 6 minutes on Echoes compared to the greatest hits version sounds interesting too.

• Advertisement

cloptrop wrote: »
    I think Ill try meddle today .
    Its the most recommended one Im not familiar with. The extra 6 minutes on Echoes compared to the greatest hits version sounds interesting too.

If you are going to listen to Echoes, its best done with a good set of comfortable headphones, on a very comfy armchair with your feet up and a big Do Not Disturb sign. Close your eyes, lie back and enjoy the trip.
    Follow it up with Atom Heart Mother pts 1 to 6.

Shine On !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Play the funky breakdown section at 11!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

My top 5 would have to be :

Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Animals
    Saucerful of Secrets
    Meddle
    Atom Heart Mother

Not a big fan of meddle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

1A) Animals
    1B) Wish You Were Here
    3) The Wall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

1. Dark Side
    2. Wish You Were Here
    3. The Wall
    4. Meddle
    5. Animals
    6. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

1) Final Cut
    2) The Wall
    3) ummagumma
    4) Meddle
    5) DSOTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

My top 5 depends on my mood as well. I like music off all of their albums but some of them are a bit uneven.

My favourites are

• Meddle
    • Dark Side of the Moon
    • Atom Heart Mother
    • The Wall/Is There Anybody Out There (The Wall live)
    • Animals (that one's a grower)

I'm quite partial to the More soundtrack (hence my username :)). The proper songs on it are great but I'm not as keen on the more sketchy soundtrack bits.

The two albums I like the least are the two that came out in the 80's. The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. The former sounds like a Roger Waters solo album that David Gilmour happened to play some guitar on. The latter sounds like it was cobbled together from some scraps on the studio floor. That's not to say there aren't a handful of OK songs from both but they just don't measure up to the Floyd's 70's input.

Also worth checking out is the Live at Pompeii DVD. It's worth ripping the audio of that to mp3 if you can - great show.

Ive gone through piper at the gates , more , meddle and a saucer full of secrets and Im not finding anything near as good as wish you were here yet ,
    Meddle would be a great album but there is a bit of filler in there and to be honest Im never gonna enjoy the liverpool chanting .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Meddle, no argument!

Advertisement