Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink Floyd's best album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Meddle is my number 1 every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Tough decision. I'd go with:
    Animals
    Wish you were Here
    Meddle
    The Wall.

Have to throw in The Wall because it has so many childhood memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mightysurveyor

1. The Wall
    2. Animals
    3. Wish you were here
    4. Dark side of the moon
    5. Final cut

After seeing Waters doing The Wall live it really jumped into pole position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Temaz wrote: »
    The Wall for me.
    The Wall is the one that will blow your ears off and make you want to die.

So yes, it's The Wall for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

1. Meddle
    2. Dark Side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Just discovered this, but The Wall album appears to be up on YouTube.

Complete, and apparently unhindered by boring copyright stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLA66VsYbHE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Ive been going through them in chronological order , I skipped ummagamma by mistake Ill get on that one next but Atom Heart Mother has been the first really good one for me , its no wish you were here but its a start. I was beginning to think they just had the few albums Id heard that were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Meddle for me...

There are some great memories attached to that album...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Does anyone remember watching Live in Pompei in the "movie room" of McGonagles when they put it on a few times in the early 80s ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

The Obscured by Clouds soundtrack is the most recent Floyd album I've discovered, starting to like it a lot.

For me that album really straddles the old and the new sounds, but probably because of the timing that I got into them, who knows.

Would still have to say that I probably return again and again through the decades to Animals more than the others, but I really can't pick a favourite. Then again like everyone else I do love Wish You Were Here, ah can't decide, all could easily change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The Obscured By Clouds and More films are well worth a look - bought them both recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just discovered this, but The Wall album appears to be up on YouTube.

Complete, and apparently unhindered by boring copyright stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLA66VsYbHE

Be great if the Earls Court 1980/81 gig could be remastered and given a DVD release at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

cloptrop wrote: »
    Alot of real Floyd fans will tell you its not the dark side.

Well that's sort of missing the point, because, and let's face it hardcore fans, its most probably IS their best album, it certainly was up to that point and most albums after it were in its shadow.

It might be "hip" to say its not their best, but the music, lyrics, performances and packaging all clicked into place on this one, can't really say that about the others.

But having said that! I do think some of their other albums are up there. Mine would be:

- Obscured By Clouds: Sort of like a mini-Dark Side, sounds much the same, lots of organs and sweeping slide guitar. And its probably the only post-Syd Floyd album that's made up of "normal" length songs. Burning Bridges and Childhood's End are great songs, all in all its a great skinning up record.

- Animals: This is awesome purely for Dogs, which is just amazing. Sheep is great too, but Dogs alone is worth it. Its like a more palatable Wall (an album I never really loved).

- Meddle: Everyone goes on about this album but its not their best by a long way, still good though. However I prefer the Pompeii version of Echoes.

- Division Bell: I always think this album is better than it is, but there are some good tracks on it. High Hopes, Marooned, Poles Apart - nice Gilmour-y stuff and big guitar workouts, gets tiring after a while and some of the songs are a bit dodgy!

- Wish You Were Here: Again not as good as people think, most of the synth sounds are very dated, however Shine On You Crazy Diamond can't be ignored. The "side 2" songs aren't that great, with the exception of the title track. The live version of Shine on the "Immersion" CD is awesome.

- Piper At The Gates of Dawn: No Floyd fan should be without this album, where it all began. It sounds awful, i mean its mixed awfully, but it does show you what all the Syd Barrett fuss is about.

- Wish You Were Here: Again not as good as people think, most of the synth sounds are very dated, however Shine On You Crazy Diamond can't be ignored. The "side 2" songs aren't that great, with the exception of the title track. The live version of Shine on the "Immersion" CD is awesome.

But but but but the bass on Have a Cigar:(:(, c'mon:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...its most probably IS their best album... ...and most albums after it were in its shadow.
    And the joy of opinions is?
    It might be "hip" to say its not their best...
    That's pretty dismissive & insulting right there.

I think Meddle is their best album. Why? Because I think it is. Not because I'm trying to be hip. :rolleyes: It had the most impact when I listened to it. Starting out with "one of these days" (a song I always felt could be the soundtrack to the movie maxium overdrive) and running through to the EPIC echoes. It's a divine album. It's simply always going to be in my top three. Far above all other Floyd albums.

Dark side is great and all, but it's not as good - genuinely - in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Zulu wrote: »

I think Meddle is their best album. Why? Because I think it is. Not because I'm trying to be hip. :rolleyes: It had the most impact when I listened to it. Starting out with "one of these days" (a song I always felt could be the soundtrack to the movie maxium overdrive) and running through to the EPIC echoes. It's a divine album. It's simply always going to be in my top three. Far above all other Floyd albums.

Dark side is great and all, but it's not as good - genuinely - in my opinion.

I agree he has been a bit dismissive of other's opinions, it can never be that cut and dried.

But there is always gonna be a musical phenomenon with cool bands that if the world at large considers one album to be their best, the hardcore fans will always look for a different one to make their own, whether that's a conscious or subconscious choice.

Meddle is very good but it's clear as day to me that Dark Side is superior in every way (in my opinion). The music is beautiful throughout and everything falls into place so perfectly. It sounds like a new album almost 40 years on and it's that rare album that you can listen to over and over and always hear it differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

In my experience the hipsters go for Piper as their favourite LP. A lot of them dismiss the rest of the catalogue though.

It's mine too but I like all Pink Floyd's LPs in varying degrees.

animals is great , its the only one id put with wish you were here so far ,
    The pig man pig man ahaaaaaaa sure a ,,,,,,,, or whatever he is really saying is quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Trashcan Man

Piper at the gates... Is good some unique sounds goin on. sid hadn't suffered his breakdown till after so It took the band a few more albums to find there grove after his exit. I like meddle, dsotm, wuwh, animals & the wall. The final cut is difficult to listen to it's essential a roger waters solo album any album after waters left sounds a bit tacky. Glamour is a great guitar player but needed waters lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

animals is great , its the only one id put with wish you were here so far ,
    The pig man pig man ahaaaaaaa sure a ,,,,,,,, or whatever he is really saying is quality

"Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are". :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Zulu wrote: »

Sorry, I didn't mean to be insulting to anyone's opinions; I was more going on experience of people I know. Like someone else said, everything fell into place on Dark Side; Meddle still has a few gaps in there.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Meddle, in fact my favourite Floyd period is 69 - 73; I mean, I think Ummagumma is great!! :) But we're talking about "best" here, not "your favourite". I'd put my hand up and say Dark Side is their "best", although its not my "favourite".

I suppose, to paraphrase Roger Waters, what's most important is whether it moves you or not. Nothing else matters. Opinions, polls, top 10 lists... some people might be more moved by "On The Turning Away" than by "Echoes". The unfortunate thing is that they may be afraid to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Some people might be more moved by "On The Turning Away" than by "Echoes".

Unlikely, but A Momentary Lapse of Reason does have a better cover than Meddle. :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I think they are all classic and all different up until Waters departure. Picking a favourite or even ranking them is impossible for me, but I can say Echoes is my favourite song and I am very lucky in that I heard it live in the Royal Albert Hall in 2006, a song I honestly thought I would never hear live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭RayCon

rednik wrote: »
    I am very lucky in that I heard it live in the Royal Albert Hall in 2006,

As did I ... I was in awe. I'll never forget that gig or Roger in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I would go with Meddle myself. The whole album has a really nice chilled, laid-back feel and then of course there is the epicness that is Echoes. As cliched as this is I think Dark Side Of The Moon is a really fantastic album and does deserve to be seen by people as one of their best if not their best album. But Meddle just comes out on top for me.

4 Ever Floyd simply listen rad.io http://4everfloyd.rad.io/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Wall Fans ...

The Wall Demos (Full Album)

I am very surprised nobody mentioned Atom heart mother or Zabrinske point. I smoked a funny looking cigarette , went to bed and stuck the ear phones on after a few beers .
    Really good albums. I never heard them mentioned ever .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

I am very surprised nobody mentioned Atom heart mother or Zabrinske point. I smoked a funny looking cigarette , went to bed and stuck the ear phones on after a few beers .
    Really good albums. I never heard them mentioned ever .

Atom Heart Mother has been mentioned several times in the thread, as early as the first page. But in fairness, it's no surprise Zabrinske Point hasn't been mentioned, it's not a full Floyd album by any stretch of the imagination. So it doesn't really count as an album and it's unlikely anyone would regard it as their best album even if it did.

• Advertisement

Atom Heart Mother has been mentioned several times in the thread, as early as the first page. But in fairness, it's no surprise Zabrinske Point hasn't been mentioned, it's not a full Floyd album by any stretch of the imagination. So it doesn't really count as an album and it's unlikely anyone would regard it as their best album even if it did.

Im interested here , its not a full album? what do you mean?

Advertisement