Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 Visa - When/What is the next step?

Options
  • 26-03-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I know there are hundreds of these type threads so apologies but couldn’t find answer in the Visa Thread.

I am on a 457 Visa (sponsored by a company here in Oz) on a 4 year.

I am wondering when I can take the next step to Citizenship / Migration.

How long do you have to be living in Oz for, while sponsored on a 457 before you can make the next step…..and…..

What is the next step?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The next step is a Permanant resident visa, aka a migration visa.
    This is essentially a independant process to sponsorship. You don't need to be on a 457, or living in Oz for any length of time. You don't even need to be in australia.

The next step is a Permanant resident visa, aka a migration visa.
    This is essentially a independant process to sponsorship. You don't need to be on a 457, or living in Oz for any length of time. You don't even need to be in australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You can apply for a Migration visa (PR) if you meet the criteria for that visa, there are few different types of Migration visa's that require different levels/Types of criteria.

Living or working in Australia for any period in itself wont get you PR but will only give you a few miserable points for GSM or maybe save you having to go through the skills assessment if going for ENS PR sponsorship.

You cant become a Naturalised Citizen until you spend a total of 4 years living in Australia legally of which at least 12 month as a Permanent resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Information about skilled migration can be found in the Sticky:
    Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

But mandrake has pretty much given you the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 8 turboted

say to your employer that you want to become a resident, say after 2 years or so of you starting the job,the employer should sort it out for you,he can tell immigration that you have a secure job an do the paper work

• Advertisement

This is very very misleading.
    What you are refering to is a ENS visa, Employer nominated sponsorship, a migration visa. As mentioned above by myself and Mandrake. It's not simply a case of the employer doing some paperwork.

First of all the 457 occupation might not qualify for a ENS.
    The employer must do a nomination application, plus the fee.
    Then he must lodge a ENS visa application, plus the $3k fee. Plus any associated documents required.

Above all, its still a migration visa like any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If only it was as easy as a quiet word with the boss to phone immigration to say he's a good lad, maybe fill out a few forms to make it look half legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 turboted

i didnt intend to mislead anybody im only going on by what i was told the person who told me must be full off bs:(

Advertisement