Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Walks in Wicklow Hills

Options
  • 27-03-2012 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We recently enjoyed walks to the Hellfire Club and from Crone to Powercourt Waterfall.

Can you please suggest other short walks in the area (we have a four year old and nine year old, so walks of less than an hour are best).

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There are lots of walks all very well detailed here
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The area from the scalp to rathmichael is perfect for hour plus walks - you've got the rath (or fairy fort) at Rathmichael, then carrickgollogan and the leadmines chimney a short distance away and nearby you have the scalp (although you'd need to watch the kids near the edge). As Mr Jelly would say: "keeps kids quiet".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Up Turlough Hill, from the Wicklow Gap, It's tarmac the whole way up and downhill all the way home.

Glenmalure: from Baravore ford up to the Fraughen Rock Glen -- cross the ford, and follow up the road for about a km, then hang left and follow the trail up for another km or two. til the route opens out in the fraughen rock glen. again downhill most of the way back bar the flat last km.

Again in Glenmalure, up the zigzags at Carawaystick waterfall, to near the top where the view of Glenmalure is spectacular.

Avondale: loads of walks here

All a bit further away from Dublin, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

We recently enjoyed walks to the Hellfire Club and from Crone to Powercourt Waterfall.

Can you please suggest other short walks in the area (we have a four year old and nine year old, so walks of less than an hour are best).

Thanks!

I recommend you pick up a copy of 'Pleasure walks near Dublin' by Joss Lynam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I think Joss's book was called Leisure Walks near Dublin. He also had a Family Walks near Dublin. Both Gill&McMillan I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

BarryD wrote: »
    I think Joss's book was called Leisure Walks near Dublin.

I have that book and it's a great one for nice routes with friends or family who aren't (normally) hill-walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Up Turlough Hill, from the Wicklow Gap, It's tarmac the whole way up and downhill all the way home.

Glenmalure: from Baravore ford up to the Fraughen Rock Glen -- cross the ford, and follow up the road for about a km, then hang left and follow the trail up for another km or two. til the route opens out in the fraughen rock glen. again downhill most of the way back bar the flat last km.

Again in Glenmalure, up the zigzags at Carawaystick waterfall, to near the top where the view of Glenmalure is spectacular.

Avondale: loads of walks here

All a bit further away from Dublin, but worth it.
    ahh you mentioned some of my favourites...roll on saturday...

Advertisement