Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overweight girls wearing tight clothing, Yay or Nay?

• 27-03-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Hi folks just wondering what your opinions are on overweight women wearing sexy clothes like tight tops and leggings. Do you find it a turn on? Or do you find it unsexy and think they should wear something less revealing of their figure?

Personally I think "larger" girls look better in skin tight clothes, I wish more girls felt confident to do so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

No no definitely not, it's the one thing I stand I against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Bring back hanging I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

No no no no no! Absolutely not! Everyone, no matter what their size should dress to suit their figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

God no! Loose clothing, look way much relaxed and better.

Hi folks just wondering what your opinions are on overweight women wearing sexy clothes like tight tops and leggings. Do you find it a turn on? Or do you find it unsexy and think they should wear something less revealing of their figure?

Personally I think "larger" girls look better in skin tight clothes, I wish more girls felt confident to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Like 10 pounds of shite in a 5 pound bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Whatever floats your/their boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hi folks just wondering what your opinions are on overweight women wearing sexy clothes like tight tops and leggings.
    Sure you are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Have they put Lithium back in the water supply again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

In fairness when ya get to a certain size ya don't really "choose" to wear skin-tight clothes. It's either that or a muumuu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Obvious troll is obvious.

I'm all for people feeling comfortable in their skin and oppose anyone receiving public abuse. But down with this sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Fat girls..fit like a bucket of porridge..fanny farts..de whole shebang. Definitely not a turn on. Ladies don't flaunt what you've not got!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Looks like I'm very much on my own here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Nay. If you like the muffin top look then work away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

KeithM89 wrote: »

I love it when you talk dirty :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It must be weather, one tiny bit of sun and Ireland goes stark raving uninhibited sex crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I think that's a 'nay'. :pac:
    'Nay' for me too. Tbh though, I guess everybody should be allowed to wear whatever the hell they like. Hurts nobody. Okay maybe your eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I couldn't give a flying fcuk if the World female Sumo Wrestling Champions walked past me every day of my life stark naked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I like fat chicks.

I couldn't give a flying fcuk if the World female Sumo Wrestling Champions walked past me every day of my life stark naked.
    Hard to distinguish male from female when you're talking that size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

It's not a good look!!! Especially if they wear tops too small and their gut is just hanging out for all to see!! Ewwww ....:(

Amzie wrote: »
    It's not a good look!!! Especially if they wear tops too small and their gut is just hanging out for all to see!! Ewwww ....

As opposed to skinny chicks wearing revealing clothing? It's all a matter of taste, yadda yadda yadda, so on so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

If they're wearing them just 'cause they want to wear them then more power to them, none of anyone's business. But if they are wearing certain clothes because they saw really hot fit girls wearing them and then thought "she looks really good in those particular clothes therefore if I wear them I shall look good too" well then they are working under faulty reasoning and should perhaps re-evaluate.

Johro wrote: »
    Well, one half of ya does.

It's the one thing we agree on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Johro wrote: »
    Hard to distinguish male from female when you're talking that size.

.. is what you said when you woke up beside that bloke last Saturday morning :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Yay

oh; sorry I just realized tales of the unexpected is on. I think tight clothing on a fat person is inevitable

As opposed to skinny chicks wearing revealing clothing? It's all a matter of taste, yadda yadda yadda, so on so forth.

Ah too skinny can look bad too then theres the just right! Healthy looking I suppose! But yeah you can't win either way... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Who cares? As long as they feel good and happy and confident people should wear what they want.

It's probably fear of people saying "Absolutely not" and "Eewwww" that makes people feel self conscious about how they look in the first place.

.. is what you said when you woke up beside that bloke last Saturday morning :p
    :D Just sayin'..
    You'd have to do a bit of digging just to have a pee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think people who don't want to be made fun of are better off dressing in a way that flatters them. But if people couldn't care less what others think, meh, off they go...

@princesspeach Ah yeah of course they can wear what they want but it's nice to have a bit of respect and tuck in their belly if it's not fitting under an ill fitted top.. I'm all for ppl wearin whatever they like but it's not the nicest of things to see

Who cares? As long as they feel good and happy and confident people should wear what they want.

It's probably fear of people saying "Absolutely not" and "Eewwww" that makes people feel self conscious about how they look in the first place.
    I dunno. I'm self conscious and I'm f#ckin gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

While if I see someone quite overweight wearing clothes that cling to their bulges I may think 'eeeeuuuuuwwwwwwwww', I would never try make them feel bad for it. after all, if they are comfortable wearing what they're wearing, then who are we to say they shouldn't. I would however continue on thinking 'eeeuuuwwwwwww' though.

@princesspeach Ah yeah of course they can wear what they want but it's nice to have a bit of respect and tuck in their belly if it's not fitting under an ill fitted top.. I'm all for ppl wearin whatever they like but it's not the nicest of things to see

But why are you looking at them? And what difference does it make to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Leave it, this really is a job for the fashion police ......oooooor the Beached Whale Foundation.

:cool:

• Advertisement

A bit of respect for who? You? The public in general? Themselves? Again, not a whole different between a fat chick and a skinny chick doing it other than what some people think is attractive.

But why are you looking at them? And what difference does it make to you?

Kinda hard not to notice something like that (it's not like I stare). I'm giving an opinion, I'm hardly going over to overweight people and calling them names, it makes no difference to me I'm just giving my two cents on the topic:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ewww is like your moo moo in the wash today?
    Besides, If everyone dressed as well as I did then I wouldn't look as good lioooke.~

If someone wears clothes that don't fit or that look ridiculous for whatever reason that is their choice and really doesn't offend me, mostly men posting here who probably see most plus size women in unflattering outfits but then again most of the time dresses are thigh high with no sleeves, jeans and underwear is at the hip bone and even a person of a healthy weight might not be lean and toned, I personally feel that you have to work with the shape you have not against and whatever your perception of what's right is right but when I see outfits that people look squeezed into I find it hard to believe the person is comfortable and is just wearing something because that's what a woman should wear.

Wedding dresses spring to mind gosh how many women put themselves in tight corsets tubes just because thats what a wedding dress "should be" but then again hey if that is what someone else wants to wear I am just a firm believer a womans body should not be squeezed (hehe) by clothes or shoes its like a derircate rittle frower.

A bit of respect for who? You? The public in general? Themselves? Again, not a whole different between a fat chick and a skinny chick doing it other than what some people think is attractive.

Themselves. Why wud I want respect from them? Bit strange when I wudnt even know them...

Themselves. Why wud I want respect from them? Bit strange when I wudnt even know them...

Maybe they do respect themselves. The same could be said for girls that walk around wearing rope and calling it a skirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I've seen some horrors in skin tight leggings.

Respect should be be automatically given to everyone, not earned.

I'm probably a bit too close to the topic cause I have many issues. I don't wear tight clothes ever, never have and probably never will no matter size I am for fear of the thoughts of strangers.

But sure its grand if you only think it and not say it to people's faces, but talk about it generally. I used to think like that, I was very judgmental of people's looks but a lot of counselling has taught me a different way of thinking.

Maybe they do respect themselves. The same could be said for girls that walk around wearing rope and calling it a skirt.

I suppose some people are comfortable letting it all hang out so let em be I'm hardly Gonna stop em,same goes for skinny gals who r comfy wearing a belt for a skirt, I'm not highly offended by them I'm only saying its not nice ..

If respect isn't earned, it's not respect, it's just courtesy.
    For example, using the one offered to us by this thread, if an obese girl in skin tight clothing passes by, I will feel slightly less respectful towards her. But I have no intention of abusing her or in anyway treating her any differently than I otherwise would have. That's common courtesy.
    I presumably don't know, am unlikely to know her, and she basically is not very meaningful to me anyway. So whether, in my internal thoughts, I feel less respectful to her or not ought to be a) not an issue to her, since she doesn't know me either and b) not evident, since I am showing her common courtesy by not staring, pointing, laughing or puking at her.

I'm probably a bit too close to the topic cause I have many issues. I don't wear tight clothes ever, never have and probably never will no matter size I am for fear of the thoughts of strangers.

But sure its grand if you only think it and not say it to people's faces, but talk about it generally. I used to think like that, I was very judgmental of people's looks but a lot of counselling has taught me a different way of thinking.

Unfortunately respect today isn't always present alot of people can be really rude:( It's nice when people suprise you :)

I'm not looking to offend anyone (this is AH after all) I'm talking about people I've seen that wear clothes 3 times too small for them that it actually looks sore for them... I don't go round judging everyone at all, and my ewww comment was meant to be light hearted not an indication that im angry at how they dress....i'm sorry if I have offended you..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 something fishy going on

Not good at all its disguisin some people have no shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Damn Commies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

My point really is the fact that people think its ok to have these thoughts just because they are not going up to a particular girl and saying it to her face. But the fact that this general thought of overweight people as unnatractive exists in the world, and in the media.

I dunno if I can speak objectively about this but I'll use myself as an example. I have body image issues and I am constantly thinking of how others are perceiving me, I spend way too much time thinking of my clothes and do they look good on me, can you see my lumps and bumps.

And this maybe comes from this general thought on overweight people. I have become quite self conscious reading this thread as it has confirmed that people do look at fat girls and judge them, be it internal or not.

And I don't mean to pick on any particular poster, cause its a common thought. Read any one of those stupid celeb magazines and they will be critiquing who has gained weight and why they are dressed badly for it.

And it is sad because I don't think this culture is ever going to change. And it's pretty damaging for some people.

ah but when you base your esteem on what others think when you're thin you're too thin and "disgusting", when you're a normal weight you're "fat" because you have normal bumps and lumps with all those mad hormones and what ever else, if you spend every day in the gym to tighten up all those bits then people are saying how bulky your body is or that you're "anorexic" because you're lean or you're "masculine", you could have a body like a modern sex icon but then you'll be thought of as an air head, into yourself, high maintenance, a slut maybe I'm not so sure about that one but whatever way someone's body just is there are negative judgements that can be made but they are so not worth taking seriously. Don't mind everyone else, beware of public opinion and don't even take in the general consenses of after hours, your body is there to serve you and if someone else takes offence to it that is not your issue to figure out,
    /pep talk :D

My point really is the fact that people think its ok to have these thoughts just because they are not going up to a particular girl and saying it to her face. But the fact that this general thought of overweight people as unnatractive exists in the world, and in the media.

Two things here. Firstly, it IS okay for me to think any damn thing I want. We don't have thought crime in this country. It's not 1984 quite yet. Secondly, yes, standards of beauty are to a degree influenced by the media, and some of those standards are not very good for society (boyish, anorexic child-girls aren't what men or women look for as icons of beauty, but it's what the media feeds us incessantly.) But bottom line, and I say this as a very plain looking fella, there are objective standards of beauty, relating to things like body shape and facial symmetry, and some people luck out in that regard genetically and most of us don't. Life's not fair. You can't legislate that away.
    I dunno if I can speak objectively about this but I'll use myself as an example. I have body image issues and I am constantly thinking of how others are perceiving me, I spend way too much time thinking of my clothes and do they look good on me, can you see my lumps and bumps.

I imagine it is probably not very helpful for me to say this, but seriously, you shouldn't care what people think of how you look. In fact, it shouldn't matter to you what they think of you at all, but if you must care about something, care about whether they think of you as a decent, kind, warm human being or not. Ultimately society may make us all come across as shallow because we're all time-deprived, but fundamentally we're all still human and what we all admire most is the beauty of someone's strength of character and quality of empathy.
    And this maybe comes from this general thought on overweight people. I have become quite self conscious reading this thread as it has confirmed that people do look at fat girls and judge them, be it internal or not.

Not gonna lie. Yes, they do. And they judge old people. And short people. And coloured people. And people with disabilities. And people with freckles, red hair, glasses, hearing aids, limps, lumps, bumps and zits. Because we are primates with pattern-recognition skills and that's all we can judge until we get to actually encounter the person as an individual and put our evaluating skills to work on judging their actual personality and character and charisma. And that's when a person's worth in society is really evaluated, not before.
    And I don't mean to pick on any particular poster, cause its a common thought. Read any one of those stupid celeb magazines and they will be critiquing who has gained weight and why they are dressed badly for it.
    And it is sad because I don't think this culture is ever going to change. And it's pretty damaging for some people.

It's damaging, sure, if they let it damage them. I can only repeat, it should not matter what some randomer who you'll never pass two words with might be thinking (and probably isn't because they're more likely to be thinking about whether people are looking at their bald spot, or limp or shortness or whatever themselves).
    It's not a culture - appreciation of objective beauty standards are fairly hardwired. Newborns can identify symmetrical faces and stare at them longer. It's genetic, pretty much, not culture. Like all aspects of life, we're dealt some good cards and some less good ones. No one gets the royal flush. You take the hand you're dealt and play it positively. Otherwise, you will be crushed, not by the opinions of others, which are fundamentally meaningless unless they come from those who really know you, but crushed by your own flaying of your own self-esteem and self-worth.

TL;DR - True beauty is within. Ignore people on the street - they don't matter. Be a quality person and people lucky enough to engage with you will look past every supermodel bitch to your qualities. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Overweight girls wearing tight clothing, Yay or Nay?

Or harpoon?

• Advertisement
Advertisement